U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:32 PM

6 posts, read 36,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyGWoods View Post
And let's not act like 9/10s of us could've EVER pointed to Mongolia on a map before today.
I believe that is a very bold statement that insults the knowledge of most of the posters in this forum. I would say that more than half of us could easily point out Mongolia on a map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 03:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,918 times
unreal, I have been at beijing for four years, I never saw this .

maybe you fly to a mistaken place.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:31 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,276,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Well, since none of you probably ever been there or know anyone that lives there, then you would not know why.

Mongolians and blacks have been a constant criminal element in that country and very involved in organized criminal activity dealing with prostitution and drugs.

They are frequently causing criminal and anti-social behavior.

The Chinese did what they thought was best to rid this criminal element.

I bet everyone will love it and want the ban to continue after the games so they can walk and conduct business is a safe environment free from these criminals.
Nothing like good old fashioned stereotyping and racism.

Remember kids; racism, intolerance, and bigotry is only wrong if the person doing it is especially pale.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-02-2008 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: personal attacks edited out

Old 08-02-2008, 08:08 PM

51 posts, read 230,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Of course not. That doesn't mean that its not a BS article that if you read another post in this thread showed that the journalist didn't have credibility.
My point is that China is that compared to the US, China isn't exactly a lot worse. Western news is incredibly biased against China. If you just read or watch western news sources it paints a very biased picture of China. That article is a horrible overgeneralization. It is like painting with broad strokes the the idea that US that US still hates all its minorities. You know, at one time an anti-immigration act was created specifically to keep Chinese out? That in China's own land the Brits put up a sign that said "No Chinese or dogs allowed"? That bans on interracial marriage in the US were not declared unconstitutional until 1967?
The point is, racism is everywhere. The Chinese are no more racist than anyone else.
Have you asked a Mongolian or darker skinned foreigner about this? I have a Black friend who teaches English over there (Shang Hi) and he says Chinese are incredibly racist against Blacks. He gets called "Black Ghost" - the equivalent of the n word here on a regular basis. So while it's true that FORTY years ago there were bans on interracial marriages in some states , I disagree that we are equally racist here. Sure it's not exactly Utopia here but we do have a Black running for President. But let me ask you if a Chinese ambassador cam over here for diplomacy do you think people would be coming out of the woodworks calling his a scary "*****" or asking why his eyes were so slanted? The equivalent DID happen to Condolisa Rice and Chinese goverment had no problem with that.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:22 PM

6,745 posts, read 8,302,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I like how everyone's talking about how horrible and prejudiced the Chinese are, from reading one article that's been circulated everywhere but has absolutely no credibility. Most people on this board know nothing about China. This story is total BS.
Are you saying "bars forbidden to serve "blacks" and Mongolians" is 100% not true?

Old 08-02-2008, 09:28 PM

266 posts, read 1,107,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodey View Post
Have you asked a Mongolian or darker skinned foreigner about this? I have a Black friend who teaches English over there (Shang Hi) and he says Chinese are incredibly racist against Blacks. He gets called "Black Ghost" - the equivalent of the n word here on a regular basis. So while it's true that FORTY years ago there were bans on interracial marriages in some states , I disagree that we are equally racist here. Sure it's not exactly Utopia here but we do have a Black running for President. But let me ask you if a Chinese ambassador cam over here for diplomacy do you think people would be coming out of the woodworks calling his a scary "*****" or asking why his eyes were so slanted? The equivalent DID happen to Condolisa Rice and Chinese goverment had no problem with that.
Well, at least you don't have to worry about being gunned down like here in US. Any major cities in the US you could easily get mugged or killed in the wrong neighborhoods by some these ghetto parasites. I bet you can walk down any street in Beijing and not worry about getting mugged or killed especially non Chinese. America has lot more serious social problems than China.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:39 PM

104 posts, read 420,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Are you serious? Do people not learn basic world geography in school anymore?

Find China on a globe and look north. It is between China and Russia.

dont do geography on asia but i knew where china was but thanks for showing us where mongolia is

Old 08-03-2008, 08:57 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,567,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt486 View Post
That is absurd. These Olympics are going to be bad.

No joke. With blatant in your face racism how are they going to be able to deny this?

Old 08-03-2008, 09:44 AM

51 posts, read 230,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
Well, at least you don't have to worry about being gunned down like here in US. Any major cities in the US you could easily get mugged or killed in the wrong neighborhoods by some these ghetto parasites. I bet you can walk down any street in Beijing and not worry about getting mugged or killed especially non Chinese. America has lot more serious social problems than China.
Crime is an issue but why divert the topic? Am I suppose to say "yeah so what China doesn't let those ghetto parasite blacks and Mongolians into the bar, atleast I wont get shot by a random Chinese man in China even though he hates my dark skin and thinks I am a black ghost. They call me the "N" word but I feel perfectly safe there. I'm sure if their was an altercation the Chinese Police would side with my ghetto(ie. Black) azz!"

Old 08-03-2008, 11:45 AM

2,449 posts, read 4,817,851 times
I have, in fact talked to many black people while I lived in China, and yes there is racism, but its overblown. There are actually a fair number of African people in China learning Chinese. Guess what, my white friends have been called "ghost" as well as well as "old foreigner" (which used to be a respectful term at one time, but no longer), and even other worse terms. Fat people get called fat to there face. Going to China and not understanding the mentality just creates more prejudices. Just as some of you and most of the US obviously have little understanding of Chinese culture and society, most of China has little understanding of general US culture, black US culture, African culture, etc... The average Chinese person has a similar amount of preconceptions as people of other nations, including the US. While you may say that segration was 40 years ago, China has NEVER had the same issues to the same extent with racial/ethnic slavery and genocide as the US. What you read as ethnic problems, while to some extent inseperable from, are actually closer to cultural issues of a dominant population exerting its inflluence. I'm not trying to say modern day US is more racist than China, but racial and ethnic tension are matters of degree and specific problems. To say that one place is more racsit than another is, itself, prejudice. It's actually pretty clear to me that Chinese people have a better understanding of the US as a whole, then Americans do of China. There is a huge bridge across the two cultures so be careful how you interpret certain words and actions. They may not have the same meaning to you as they do to them. People should listen not to just Westerners that visit China and express what they see from there point of view, but also Chinese people as well. "Lost in Translation" isn't just a movie title. Its very real. Try talking to Chinese and other foreigners who have lived in the US for 10 years and find out the misconceptions they have as well as a results of keeping with their individual and communities' prejudices. It goes both way.
Has there never been a restaurant that has not allowed a black or Mongolian person in? Of course I'm not going to make that statememt. Just as I'm not going to say that in the US a restaurant has never refused to serve a Hispanic person within the last 2 years. This of course has happened as well. I even have a friend that this has happened to in San Diego in the 80's! But lets not blow that out of proportion and say "San Diegans are racist and refuse to serve Hispanics", because we all know that thankfully to be a small proportion. I will say that if some restaurant or cop refused black, that was a result of an individual, and not a concerted government or agency effort. You are right when saying a successful Chinese olympics would be difficult with an issue like that, which is why they wouldn't do it.

Most importantly:
THE LESSON OF RECOGNIZING RACISM AND PREJUDICE IS NOT THAT OTHERS ARE PREJUDICED, BUT THAT WE ALL ARE.

Read this, its very interesting:
Racist like me. - By Debra Dickerson - Slate Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or