Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:28 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times

Advertisements

As long it's not too country, it should be fine. Think Faith Hill as opposed to say.. Alan Jackson. Several of Faith Hill's songs made top charts in Asia by the way, because her songs are more mainstream pop than country. Someone mentioned in my office (I live in KY) that the only thing country about Faith Hill is her husband's cowboy hat

Both Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood should be fine, as they tend to be more pop-ish than bluegrass country, hence has a better chance to be enjoyed more by non american ears. Of course, if your relatives drink, you can always give them a good old Kentucky Bourbon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 05:42 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
As long it's not too country, it should be fine. Think Faith Hill as opposed to say.. Alan Jackson. Several of Faith Hill's songs made top charts in Asia by the way, because her songs are more mainstream pop than country. Someone mentioned in my office (I live in KY) that the only thing country about Faith Hill is her husband's cowboy hat

Both Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood should be fine, as they tend to be more pop-ish than bluegrass country, hence has a better chance to be enjoyed more by non american ears. Of course, if your relatives drink, you can always give them a good old Kentucky Bourbon
This is actuallya great idea. If they drink, getting a Bourbon that's less well known and fancy (Woodford Rreserve, etc...) would prolly go over decently

Old 08-06-2008, 07:01 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
As far as I know, some people in Australia and certain parts of Europe listen to American country music. People I know from Norway said people there like country music... God knows why :X. Maybe it appeals to areas with a strong middle class or something.
Quite honestly, I don't find country music that unique. The modern kind sounds like really bad, generic pop music with horrible, twangy southern accents & poorly written lyrics with soap opera-esque story lines. The old kind sounds similar to folk music you might find in other countries.
That's just my opinion...and obviously I am not a fan.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:56 PM

72,409 posts, read 18,196,480 times
Because country music has lots of words that Asians do not understand,they don't relate to it like Americans.
It's like going to a Comedy Store here,you might think it's hillarious,but to them they would go "huh"?

Old 08-07-2008, 06:55 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
I don't think you'll find many non-American people outside of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand who like country music.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:28 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post

Yeah thats why I settled on Carrie and Taylor. They're not as country as some other stars I listen to like Toby Keith or Gretchen Wilson but probably not popular in Taiwan. I had really wanted to do Kellie Pickler because her songs really reflect the small towns and rural communities (like "Small Towns GIrl" about apple pie, Sunday school, clotheslines, dirt roads, sweet tea, etc) where most of America lives in despite the urban bias in shows like Sex and the City and Friends, but the style might be too country for people who did not grow up in America.

Most American girls my cousin's age (17) listen to Carrie to Taylor, at least around here the only exception being African Americans and some Hispanics/Asians.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:53 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I don't think you'll find many non-American people outside of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand who like country music.
Actually, American style country music is very popular in Poland.

The "Oldest Country Music Festival in Eastern Europe":

YouTube - "The Anti-Americans" -- Polish Country Music Festival

YouTube - Mragowo Country Festival Poland

Line Dancing Troop (school?):

YouTube - "The Anti-Americans" -- Polish Cowboy

Old 08-07-2008, 02:37 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Actually, American style country music is very popular in Poland.
Sounds like another reason that some refer to Poland as the Alabama of Europe.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 PM

576 posts, read 1,817,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harahap View Post
The U.S. expats might listen to it. That's pretty much the extent of country music's existence in Asia.
To me, it seems like people who go even to the extent of being an expat wouldn't really have a thing for country music.

Also, it seems like everyone in every Japanese class I have taken (including the teacher) really hates country music. I'm included; can't stand it.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:32 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
Based on my experiences, yes, they do.

You will hear a good bit of country music, but most of it is the "true country" from the 70s, 80s and early 90s. That plus just about any mega-hit pop song from the 1950s to the present. They may or may not speak english, but they can sing the songs.

In the big cities, you'll hear a mix of local music and US charts, to include "new country."

No matter how rural or remote an area, they can get radio and they will. I went into a road-side shack in Majuro (RMI) once to get something to drink and they guy is singing along with Kenny Rogers. I've also walked by Kareoke (sp?) bars in the most remote mountain regions of the RP to hear some gal wailing to a Beyonce tune.

I don't know about Japan or China, but yeah just about anywhere else, American music, including country, is popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia