U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,363 times

Advertisements

As a native Chinese,I myself am a huge fan of American country music.It feels simple,relaxing and positive.
Indeed there are few people in China who know or enjoy country music.There are two reasons I can think of.One is that so few people know English language in China.The other is that due to the restriction our government sets regarding western culture,most Chinese don't know there is a music genre called "Country Music" which can't be introduced officially by any traditional Chinese media.Internet is probably the only way to obtain various information about country music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 08:25 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
I'm a westerner (white guy) who has been living in Asia off and on since 1996.

I almost NEVER hear of any Asian person who ever knows anything about Country Music. They know a lot about pop and hip-hop, but never country music.

The only few places I've ever seen or heard it were around the U.S. military bases in Korea and Japan...where some americans listen to it...and the very few local girlfriends or boyfriends who've they've introducted it to.

But, for the most part, it is almost non-existant in Asia. Plenty of hiphop and commerical pop boy band types of music though....unfortunately.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:29 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,602,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harahap View Post
The U.S. expats might listen to it. That's pretty much the extent of country music's existence in Asia.
^^^Pretty much this. The only country my relatives are likely they'll ever listen to would be on any wild west film they happen to be watching.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:35 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,255,110 times
I lived in Malaysia for 4 1/2 years and I can tell you that there is a certain percentage of people there who like country music AND they enjoy country line dancing. A short time after I moved there I was at a party and Achy Breaky came one...the whole room started doing the Achy Breaky dance and I was floored! I thought that someone had spike my drinks with some sort of drug! I'm from Boston, we don't country line dance, but my God these Malaysians did!

Old 06-20-2011, 07:07 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,964,539 times
I'm thinking they, Asian nations, likely have their own rural/rural-folk music. So maybe that's enough for them.

Still I thought the Chinese and Japanese had some interest in "Westerns." The Chinese are, in a way, "taming the West" right now. With all, or almost all, the conflicts with indigenous people that implies. As I indicated though maybe they decide to deal with that in their own way through their own rural music.

Of course I know the Czechs had a pretty strong bluegrass tradition and the Scandinavians used to have awards for country music. They had their own rural music too, but were influenced by ours. I think I even read that Algerian singer Souad Massi loved Dolly Parton. Still maybe it's a bigger leap for much of Asia.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:44 AM

376 posts, read 743,056 times
I like music,especially the music genres of Pop, Rock, Jazz, Hip-Hop, Reagge, Alternatic etc.
In my country is also very popular western songs, especially classical and modern music at the present time,

~ My Favorite singers :

- Kenny Rogers
- Marrie Carrey
- Richard Marx
- Celine Dion
- Lionel Richie
- Shania Twain
- Katy Perry
- etc.

~ My Favorite Group Band :

- Guns N 'Roses
- Nirvana
- The Cranberries
- Bon Jovi
- The Corrs
- Coldplay
- The Beathles
- The Black Eyed Peas
- etc.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:22 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I was born and raised in America but I have some relatives in Taiwan. My mom will be going back there to visit my aunt, uncle and cousin and as a present for them I'd like to give them a little something about America, since as everyone knows Taiwan or anywhere in Asia is a whole different world compared to here. I'll be buying two CDs for them. I want to show them something of the "real America" that they don't get from the media there too much. I

know their movie theaters are filled with Hollywood films and a lot of American rap, rock, and pop are popular in Taiwan. I've been there only twice in my life and the second time they were playing Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys in every store and restaurant. A lot pop and rock in Asian coutnries also sound a lot like American music sung in different languages. They also get a lot of classic rock liek John Denver, the Beatles, Elton John, Bruce Springsteen, etc etc.

I hope to give my relatives there a side of what I consider the authentic America beyond the mass media, war news, etc. In addition to 2 CDs, I will be buying a picture-filled book that shows American cars from the 50s through the early 80s filmed along Route 66 in the Midwest and West with a lot traditional diners, motels, and truck stops and all-American small town landscapes. I also bought a John Deere baseball cap.

I wonder if Asian countries get anything from country music exported since other parts of American pop culture seem to be so loved there. I'm not talking Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson or Patsy Cline, which older generations there are familiar with, but modern contemporary country out of Nashville.

I'm choosing between Rascal Flatts, Taylor Swift, Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler, Martina McBride, Sara Evans, Josh Gracin, and Brad Paisley. How popular are these artists in Asia or in other non-English speaking parts of the world like Europe or Latin America? Is Carrie Underwood well-known and listened to because of American Idol? Where I live in Maryland, Rascal Flatts is played in stores, malls, and restaurants commonly, and Sara Evans once in a while.
I guess I can speak for Taiwan.

It depends actually,are your relatives very interested in music?I know some people here do,but I really don't.Out of the names you mentioned,Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood are the only ones that I've heard of.I know Taylor Swift because she's such an attention *****(I apologize if you're her fan lol),and I know Carrie Underwood because of American Idol(from Wikipedia because I don't like those kind of shows at all).

Taiwan is a pretty Americanized place for Asian standard,as you said movie theaters are filled with Hollywood films,and American pop music is everywhere.But bear in mind that only the box office hits(like Tramsformers or similar stupid ****) and the most powerfully-pushed singers(Bieber,Gaga etc.) would interest people.We usually don't really get invested,most of the time we just follow the trend.

Anyway,to sum up,I think it really depends if your relatives are some of those that are actually interested in different kind of culture.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 PM

20 posts, read 36,284 times
Even though American music is all over the Philippines, it's all pop and hip hop. I guess the only country artist Filipinos know about is Taylor Swift - but that is because she crossed over to pop.

The only people i know of who listened to country music are college students or those die-hard music lovers who stumbled upon country music and loved it.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_kristy View Post
Even though American music is all over the Philippines, it's all pop and hip hop. I guess the only country artist Filipinos know about is Taylor Swift - but that is because she crossed over to pop.

The only people i know of who listened to country music are college students or those die-hard music lovers who stumbled upon country music and loved it.
Yeah, I'd say modern country music is not popular in the Philippines, but old country music is very popular in the Cordillera Mountains.

They have a ton of country music in their languages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0evPQS-1HQs
Starts at 25 seconds. This sounds like old-timey American country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2-AS7W9HZo
Cowboy hats are popular in that region. Even Ifugaos that I know in the US like to wear cowboy hats

Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 AM

1,869 posts, read 3,131,028 times
I thought I saw some country western bars in Thailand outside the major cities in 2012 when I was there, but I could have been mistaken. These were not expat areas either, these were Thai local areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or