U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:58 PM

725 posts, read 1,843,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Not sure why people are so impressed with tall glittery buildings. As Balzac said "All fortunes are built on great crime".

You've hear nothing but good things about Dubai? That must be a form of selective hearing, Dubai is an international tax haven aimed at wealthy foreigners, and "Dubai has been described as the Las Vegas of the Middle East."

Have a gander at these articles just as an example of the beauty and brilliance enjoyed by all in Dubai.

ABC News: Migrant Worker Abuse Tars Dubai's Image

and this

Prostitution in Dubai: Ending the Cold War Accelerated Human Trafficking in the UAE (http://sexual-abuse.suite101.com/article.cfm/prostitution_in_dubai - broken link)
No, I'm not selective in what I want to hear. I just recently heard about this city.

I was looking up, the most expensive cities in the world and Dubai was on the list. I've never heard of this city, until like last month.

UAE is among the richest countries in the world and they've developed the country beautifully, imo. So it brought interest to me.
But I do know that most of the people building all those skyscrapers and man-made islands aren't even Emirati.
Majority of them are South Asian. So they're boosting they're economy off them. Unfair it is......

I'm not even fascinated about the skylines. In my home country, we don't even have a skyline....lol, so nah.
I'm mostly fascinated by the Palm Island, and how they've managed to keep developing, day after day.

And Thank you for informing me, with those articles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 01:02 PM

725 posts, read 1,843,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Yes. Many are construction workers for the shiny new buildings and other impressive projects.
Yes thats very typical. I thought so. it would be impossible for everyone to live in luxury.
No country is perfect. But seeing as it is, I'l assume poverty is not high

Old 08-01-2008, 06:52 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,253 times
What so great about it? Looks like any other second rate metropolis. What make it stand out? Is it a beautiful cultural city like Paris? Vibrant as New York, Tokyo or London?
Funny how little Unite Arab Emirates want to become a tourist mecca of middle east. I wouldn't want to visit a country with all these Islamic rules I have to follow.
Are women and men allowed on the beach together with their bathing suit on?

Old 08-01-2008, 07:45 PM

1,669 posts, read 5,607,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
Yes. It is already a popular vacation destination for many Europeans.

UAE is not Saudi Arabia.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:09 PM

2,349 posts, read 3,930,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveChick View Post
Yes thats very typical. I thought so. it would be impossible for everyone to live in luxury.
No country is perfect. But seeing as it is, I'l assume poverty is not high
20% of the population lives below the poverty line.

Per capita GDP, UAE ranks 25th in the world, which really shows the rich/poor divide there.

You just heard of this city? How old are you?

Dubai is a fun place to live, I had fun there and would like to go back, some people enjoy living there though I think I would get burned out rather quickly.

Dubai has poverty, ghettos, crime, on and on, it is not utopia as you make it out to be. That does not mean I am implying no other place doesn't, just relating Dubai has the same problems as every other city.

The thing I hate about Dubai is its lack of across the board enforcement of its laws. Seems the authorites let people get away with things for a long time to the point of people not even realizing it is against the law, then the authorities will just have some "sweep" and start cracking down on everyone where just days before, those same police were ignoring when people were doing the same thing.

I like it and prefer to live there than any American city for sure.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:25 PM

5,457 posts, read 12,701,948 times
I've been to Dubai a few times, as well as to Qatar, Oman and Abu Dhabi. Yes, Dubai is impressive, however, I don't know quite how to express it in words, but to me it is all fake.

A great city takes centuries to build, in Dubai they are trying to replicate on the fly, and break records just to take away the claim of another object.

Dubai will convince me, I guess, when they dig out a hole bigger than the Grand Canyon.

I am in the oil business, and the only reason Dubai and other Emirates can do this is oil revenues. I don't know about other countries, but the US alone sends over 700 BILLION dollars each year. Not over five years, or ten years, every year.

Rents are ridiculous, 10,000US a month for rent. And the corporations who have expats are paying it.

Once the US is serious about it's oil consumption, or begins to tap the vast reserves it is calculated to have, and the Middle East reserves begin to decline, the economies in the Middle East will hurt, in a big way. Not sure the city of Dubai will be such a jewel in about 25-50 years. We shall see I suppose.

Regards

Old 08-05-2008, 09:17 AM

334 posts, read 1,180,677 times
What they don't tell you about in the tourist brouchers

-250,000 foreign labourers in the city live in conditions described by Human Right Watch as being "less than human."
-NPR reports that workers "typically live eight to a room, sending home a portion of their salary to their families, whom they don't see for years at a time." The BBC has reported that "local newspapers often carry stories of construction workers allegedly not being paid for months on end. They are not allowed to move jobs and if they leave the country to go home they will almost certainly lose the money they say they are owed.
Additionally, most of the workers are forced to give up their passports upon entering Dubai, making it very difficult to return home. In September 2005, the Minister of Labour ordered one company to pay unpaid salaries within 24 hours after workers protested, and published the name of the offending company
-A Swiss man was sentenced to four years in prison after three poopy seeds - from a bread roll purchased at a UK airport - were detected on his clothing at the Dubai Airport.
-Keith Brown, a British national and father of three, was arrested on September 17, 2007 after authorities claim to have discovered a speck of cannabis on the bottom of one of his shoes. According to an article in the Daily Mail, the alleged illegal substance was smaller than a grain of sugar - weighing approximately .003 grams.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 AM

347 posts, read 1,200,269 times
Quote:

Yes they are, and those rules do not apply for anyone who does not belong to the religion which makes these rules.

Quote:
Additionally, most of the workers are forced to give up their passports upon entering Dubai, making it very difficult to return home

This happens in many other countries as well. Its a scam where workers are promised a better life and then overworked and underpaid. These workers also pay to get into the country, and then have no money left to go back and are at the mercy of their employers.

Quote:
Rents are ridiculous, 10,000US a month for rent

I dont think you are talking residential rents. If yes, then try living in a hotel, it's way cheaper.

Quote:
A great city takes centuries to build, in Dubai they are trying to replicate on the fly, and break records just to take away the claim of another object.
Quote:
Dubai will convince me, I guess, when they dig out a hole bigger than the Grand Canyon
Dont hold your breath on it, I wont be surprised if they really do that

Old 08-05-2008, 11:08 AM

284 posts, read 631,943 times
I think it WILL be a good city in like 5 years but i am sick of people saying how good the skyline is when it looks like crap to be honest but in like 5 years i think it will look really good

Old 08-05-2008, 05:58 PM

5,457 posts, read 12,701,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
What they don't tell you about in the tourist brouchers

-250,000 foreign labourers in the city live in conditions described by Human Right Watch as being "less than human."
-NPR reports that workers "typically live eight to a room, sending home a portion of their salary to their families, whom they don't see for years at a time." The BBC has reported that "local newspapers often carry stories of construction workers allegedly not being paid for months on end. They are not allowed to move jobs and if they leave the country to go home they will almost certainly lose the money they say they are owed.
Additionally, most of the workers are forced to give up their passports upon entering Dubai, making it very difficult to return home. In September 2005, the Minister of Labour ordered one company to pay unpaid salaries within 24 hours after workers protested, and published the name of the offending company
-A Swiss man was sentenced to four years in prison after three poopy seeds - from a bread roll purchased at a UK airport - were detected on his clothing at the Dubai Airport.
-Keith Brown, a British national and father of three, was arrested on September 17, 2007 after authorities claim to have discovered a speck of cannabis on the bottom of one of his shoes. According to an article in the Daily Mail, the alleged illegal substance was smaller than a grain of sugar - weighing approximately .003 grams.
I was going to make a comment on this, but did not want to start a controversy... but since you also have he same sentiment...

When there, I had to spend usally a month each time I went. I talked to some of the people who worked there. It was odd, but understandable that the laborers work at night, and not during the day. I learned about how they are recruited, how they work, trips home, in general, all about the labor process.

From what I gathered about their work, how their passports are confiscated, how they are vetted before they leave, I came to the conclusion that what I witnessed was a form of legalized slavery per say, not outright slavery, however.

That's all I'll say on this topic.

Regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia