Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:23 AM

726 posts, read 2,268,988 times

Advertisements

This has got to be one the greatest/expensive cities in the world. I've seen/heard nothing but good things about it and the city is developing even more at a very fast rate.

They are trying to past big records. They're building the worlds tallest building, they have one of the worlds largest marinas, the tallest hotel in the world, the worlds largest man-made island (The Palms), the worlds largest mall is gonna open this month, and there are over a dozen skylines under construction.

I would love to live in this city (aside from the weather).
They seem to have no flaws in their economy and thats what seems to keep it developing more and more.

I bet they have no middle class. DO they even have a poverty rate ?
This country's Real-Estate is surpassing everything.

Has anyone been to city ? If so, how is it !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 12:33 AM

726 posts, read 2,268,988 times
Default Pictures of Dubai

Some really nice pics !!

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/92736/dsc_0515.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-01-2008, 12:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
Not sure why people are so impressed with tall glittery buildings. As Balzac said "All fortunes are built on great crime".

You've hear nothing but good things about Dubai? That must be a form of selective hearing, Dubai is an international tax haven aimed at wealthy foreigners, and "Dubai has been described as the Las Vegas of the Middle East."

Have a gander at these articles just as an example of the beauty and brilliance enjoyed by all in Dubai.

ABC News: Migrant Worker Abuse Tars Dubai's Image

and this

http://sexual-abuse.suite101.com/article.cfm/prostitution_in_dubai (broken link)

Old 08-01-2008, 04:09 AM

318 posts, read 934,253 times
Some of the buildings are awsome but some are just stupid but overall it will be a great city but they do have poverty and "ghetto's" just like anywhere else and with the property prices rising still more and more natives are falling into poverty.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:08 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveChick View Post
DO they even have a poverty rate ?
Yes. Many are construction workers for the shiny new buildings and other impressive projects.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Not sure why people are so impressed with tall glittery buildings. As Balzac said "All fortunes are built on great crime".

You've hear nothing but good things about Dubai? That must be a form of selective hearing, Dubai is an international tax haven aimed at wealthy foreigners, and "Dubai has been described as the Las Vegas of the Middle East."

Have a gander at these articles just as an example of the beauty and brilliance enjoyed by all in Dubai.

ABC News: Migrant Worker Abuse Tars Dubai's Image

and this

Prostitution in Dubai: Ending the Cold War Accelerated Human Trafficking in the UAE (http://sexual-abuse.suite101.com/article.cfm/prostitution_in_dubai - broken link)
there is prostitution everywhereand yeah most is of willing victims who want to make money being a prostitute but the western media never tells you that. because paying for sex is a something morally bad and the west has morals.
yeah about the workers being taken advantage of what about the polish workers in britain or the mexicans in usa?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:34 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times
This is all because of the largest transfer of wealth in history.
Western nations and especially the US have been buying their black gold for many decades now......

Old 08-01-2008, 08:45 AM

540 posts, read 962,646 times
I visited Dubai a couple of times back in 2001 and 2002 - it was nice, but nothing like it was then. I will be moving out there this fall for a few years. I'll let you know how it is when I get there.

They have their faults, but they have been working to improve them - not because they are humanitarians, but because they recognize that it is good business. Worker's rights still aren't great, but they are improving. They are good abotu protecting international property rights. I don't know what they have done about human trafficking - that's something I'll have to research.

As far as making their money on us buying oil - It started out that way, but now oil is only 12% of Dubia's GDP. A lot of US companies like GE and financial institutions are making a ton of money over there - a lot of which makes it back here to the US. The US exports far more to Dubai than we import from them.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:11 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,579 times
I have been there on vacation and absolutely loved it.
Great infrastructure, indoor snow, sandboarding in the desert, you name it, they got it!!
And yes, they do have a middle class and do have poverty.
They also have terrible traffic during rush hour and really hot summers.

Its a great place to visit, very multicultural and lots of things to do.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:41 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevil View Post
Great infrastructure
They just need to hurry up and get a real street address system implemented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia