U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:48 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,980,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik you will find that dubai is planned more as a detination resort much like Las Vegas and most of the houisng is planned for workers. Destinations resort areas can be created overnite.
I dont think you can compare Dubai's growth to Las Vegas, Dubai jumped a million people in just 2 1/2 years, sure there both located in deserts.. but dubai has got something vegas dont have..., beaches, islands of homes, burj dubai, crances everywhere haha

Dubai is making every big city look stupid..? why..HUGE GROWTH and it will be that way for a very long time..

its population is expected to be 3 million in april of 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 AM

371 posts, read 1,009,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
I dont think you can compare Dubai's growth to Las Vegas, Dubai jumped a million people in just 2 1/2 years, sure there both located in deserts.. but dubai has got something vegas dont have..., beaches, islands of homes, burj dubai, crances everywhere haha

Dubai is making every big city look stupid..? why..HUGE GROWTH and it will be that way for a very long time..

its population is expected to be 3 million in april of 2009
Making other cities look stupid ? you actually believe that. This city is more of a vacation spot than some where to actually live. It doesnt matter how many people it has it will never have the same class and sophistication as any other city. Plus other cities dont need to over obsessively build up their cities and since dubai is relatively new it does not have alot of historical buildings as some other cities and in others cities like ny we like to preserve historical things

Last edited by NYCBoy1212; 08-13-2008 at 08:53 AM..

Old 08-13-2008, 03:01 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,607,421 times
Once Dubai starts giving the world even a small fraction of the culture New York City has come up with, come talk to me. Until then Dubai remains a large, fabricated and soulless city in my mind.

I understand a lot of awe-inspiring structures are happening in Dubai, but I don't feel that can compete with all the art, music, history, culture and fashion that surrounds New York City....and I think New York City has the best skyline in the world.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:00 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,980,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
Making other cities look stupid ? you actually believe that. This city is more of a vacation spot than some where to actually live. It doesnt matter how many people it has it will never have the same class and sophistication as any other city. Plus other cities dont need to over obsessively build up their cities and since dubai is relatively new it does not have alot of historical buildings as some other cities and in others cities like ny we like to preserve historical things
Uhhh ya it is. Look at how fast its growing.. your missing the point buddy, first off have you been there? and if you have you should know that its the fastest growing.., no other city in the world besides new york has ever grown that fast, i also mentioned it jumped 2 million in just three years now tell me what city has grown that fast.., there hasnt been one for decades. It doesnt matter about if the city has "history" or old landmarks buildings.. so what most get torn down anyways.. i'm talking about the BIG GROWTH, THE HUGE TOWERS, thats something we wont have for quite sometime, the sprire sure.. but it wont be the largest it will be the 3rd largest..., and i also give chicago credit.. because thats something new york wont have for a while neither.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,607,421 times
Quote:
It doesnt matter about if the city has "history" or old landmarks buildings.. so what most get torn down anyways.. .

You bring up a good point. Say Dubai was torn down overnight, what would you actually be able to say about the city? Any distinctive foods, art, music, culture, etc that would really characterize the city in the same manner that NYC has? With the exception of a handful of cities (and Dubai ain't one of them), no other city can come close to New York in this department.

Dubai is just buildings. New York has the buildings and true character to go along with it.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:44 PM

42 posts, read 124,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Dubai is just buildings. New York has the buildings and true character to go along with it.
Exactamente

Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 PM

371 posts, read 1,009,571 times
Quote:
Uhhh ya it is. Look at how fast its growing.. your missing the point buddy, first off have you been there? and if you have you should know that its the fastest growing.., no other city in the world besides new york has ever grown that fast, i also mentioned it jumped 2 million in just three years now tell me what city has grown that fast.., there hasnt been one for decades. It doesnt matter about if the city has "history" or old landmarks buildings.. so what most get torn down anyways.. i'm talking about the BIG GROWTH, THE HUGE TOWERS, thats something we wont have for quite sometime, the sprire sure.. but it wont be the largest it will be the 3rd largest..., and i also give chicago credit.. because thats something new york wont have for a while neither.
We dint need ridiculously tall buildings to attract people. Why does it matter that it grows fast, we dont need to grow fast because we already did and we are at the top of our game. It does matter if the city has historic things, dubai has gotten rid of all of its historic value and it is now a heaping mess of land development. Nobody even showed how the city would look like after they build all the mega structures. We like to keep our historic value. It maybe fast growing but nobody ever gave any local things to do or places to visit besides tall buildings. Its country only has 5 million people

Old 08-16-2008, 10:57 AM

48 posts, read 164,529 times
That city is growing by leaps and bounds because the government is funding everything. Dubai would be the same little Middle Eastern city it always was if the government hadn't invested so much into its tourism. The Government is using all of its profits from the its oil exports to build a city that can sustain itself in the world, when their oil dries up. They are doing a fantastic job, but those huge skyscrapers are nothing more than fluff.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:18 PM

19 posts, read 17,453 times
new york is an awesome city but i have to give this 1 to dubai by the its growing and building.its just incredible!all of u guys dont think that i hate NYC because i dont.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:07 PM

266 posts, read 1,106,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zee97 View Post
new york is an awesome city but i have to give this 1 to dubai by the its growing and building.its just incredible!all of u guys dont think that i hate NYC because i dont.
LOL, why is this even a discussion???
Dubai shouldn't even be mentioned in a same sentence with NYC. I would much rather live in second tier major European cities like Stockholm, Coppenhagen, Vienna with long history,culture and class then paper machete called Dubai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia