U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 01:30 PM

412 posts, read 1,607,298 times

Advertisements

Dubai Is much much better. New York is old dirty and out dated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 02:05 PM

371 posts, read 1,009,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
How is dubai much better when dubai has nothing but its buildings. NY is not old, it may have old buildings but it also has new ones as well.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 9,991 times
Well, the original poster was curious as to which of the two held advantage over the other in amenities, culture, wealth, density and skyline.

Amenities: Well, Dubai is much more reliant on tourism than New York is, so I'll assume it has the advantage here. If I'm wrong and it doesn't, well... I don't know what it DOES have on New York, then.
Benefit of the doubt: Dubai

Culture: Not even sure why this is even up for discussion. The United States is the melting pot of the world, and New York has historically been where most of the ingredients enter the stew. I'm from Chicago, which is probably the second most culturally diverse city in the world, and even I'll say New York is more culturally diverse by a little and more cultured in general by a lot.
Advantage: New York, by an immeasurable amount.

Wealth: Dubai is a place of enormous wealth. That being said, this one isn't close, either. New York is the financial center of the West, and probably the financial center of the world. If it isn't, Dubai isn't either.
Advantage: New York, by a mile.

Density: Don't know and don't care.
Advantage: Dubai, just to be nice.

Skyline: One building does not a skyline make. Look at both at night. Advantage: New York

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-25-2008 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: A differring opinion does not a liar make

Old 09-06-2008, 08:59 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,465,037 times
In Dubai you can get arrested and threatened with jail for kissing your bikini clad girlfriend on the beach. This just happened. there goes the theory of a liberal oasis.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
New York is better in terms of culture (theatre, museums). It has a 24 hour subway system. It is more open to people from all ove the world. Its skyline is more arresting. It is not as dirty as people think. It is friendlier. It is more open to new ideas, even if it seems unconventional. It has 4 seasons. Its night life is more exciting. Dubai with 3 million people... thats like Cleveland, Ohio!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:42 PM

905 posts, read 2,582,454 times
Dubai is an oasis in the desert that was artificially built up due to a massive influx of oil wealth. It has lots of glitzy new skyscrapers and is trying to make itself into a playground for the world's elite.

New York is a real city.

I don't really see how the two are comparable.

Hell, not only would I take New York over Dubai, but I'd take Chicago over Dubai. I'd take Baltimore or Philadelphia or St. Louis over Dubai. I'd take Edinburgh or Lyon or Hamburg or Antwerp or Osaka over Dubai. I don't want to live in the middle of a desert amongst a bunch of imposing new skyscrapers in a place inhabited by grotesquely rich oil sheikhs, equally rich Western businessmen, and dirt-poor laborers.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 PM

and dubai tries to portray an image of progressiveness, but its not to western standard...

The Foreign Office website says that in Dubai public displays of affection are unacceptable, and there have been several arrests for kissing in public. Sex outside marriage is illegal in the UAE, as is cohabitation, adultery and homosexual behaviour.

I guess no more swinger parties for me... oh wait thats just when I watch Swingtown..

Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM

9 posts, read 11,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Sex outside marriage is illegal in the UAE, as is adultery and homosexual behaviour.
You speak as though that's a bad thing.

Edit: Sorry i didn't know this was so old.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:14 PM

5,457 posts, read 12,679,814 times
Default Quoting myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Dubai, and the entire region is doing great these days, however, what most are overlooking is that most of the new development is dependant on the west, in particuar the United States' oil imports. What would happen if the the west/US cut it's imports by 50%, or so? I doubt you' see many more islands being built, or new cities going up overnight.

You cannot create a great city overnight, it takes decades. Also, with the constant stream of people entering, and leaving anually, what culture would you end up with? The great cities of the world were created by people, not business. New York, Paris, Rome, London, etc., are not beholden to any one type of business. Let the oil dry up, so will Dubai.
I should have tried to guess the Lottery numbers! If you keep up with the current news, what I said above came to fruition, sort of.

Someone brought this thread to my attention via some rep points... interesting to read it now.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:03 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,986,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
and dubai tries to portray an image of progressiveness, but its not to western standard...

The Foreign Office website says that in Dubai public displays of affection are unacceptable, and there have been several arrests for kissing in public. Sex outside marriage is illegal in the UAE, as is cohabitation, adultery and homosexual behaviour.
Dubai is a muslim place. So one does not have the same freedom/s that one has in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia