U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 PM

351 posts, read 1,720,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Was Georgia trying to wipe out South Ossetia. I understand they did not like the fact that there was a Russian citizen sanctuary in the middle of Georgia?
No, the Georgians don't have any issue with the South Ossetians. They are proud of their tolerance and have been trying to win the hearts and minds of the South Ossetian population. They don't have problems with Russian citizens, either: when the Georgians are honest, they'll admit that their money was largely made in Russia, and most of the elite have strong economic ties and real estate in Russia. This isn't about the ethnicities but about the politics and Georgia's interest in joining Nato and the EU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 03:23 PM

5,683 posts, read 8,596,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloway View Post
Ummm..... just so you know, Russia and Georgia are no where near the Balkans, the balkans can be reffered to as the countries of former yugoslavia, Greece, Bulgaria, and Romania.
As I understand it, the Balkan region is the entire chunk south of the imaginary line that connects the northern tip of the Adriatic to the northern tip of the Black Sea... so you would be right.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:44 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,943,923 times
Thanks for this. I used to live in Russia and have visited Georgia, so I'm the person my friends and family ask when events flare up in the region. It's nice to have some more information that is easy to pass on, as I am by no means an expert regarding Ossetia. For example, while I might have guessed that there were lots of contact and movement between the two parts, I didn't have any first-hand knowledge.

Last edited by fjtee; 08-11-2008 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-12-2008, 01:19 PM

295 posts, read 756,744 times
Thanks, Wastina - really interesting to read an eyewitness view.

So what do you think the solution would be?

To me it looks Ossetians will never accept Georgian rule.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:40 PM

6,745 posts, read 8,293,986 times
Do the Ossetians have Russian and Georgian citizenship?

How can Georgia tolerate the Russian presence in South Ossetia?

Why in the heck did the US get involved by flying Georgian troops home from Iraq? Are we nuts....

Old 08-12-2008, 01:50 PM

133 posts, read 316,769 times
And what the f-k they should accept these bloody rules?

It's funny to watch their president yelling something against Russia with Ukrainian president in the background in front of the crowd gathered, which is waving US and Ukrainian and what is funnier EU (!!!!!) flags! Clowns! What will Saakashvili say when US admits their shame of being in favour with Georgia!?

The best solution is to put down Saakashvili and let these people accept what they really want.

Last edited by lumumba; 08-12-2008 at 02:23 PM..

Old 08-12-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:

How can Georgia tolerate the Russian presence in South Ossetia?
How come? I can tell you. I was in Obhasia, which used to be targeted by Georgia some time ago, you know it's like Ossetia. And people in this country really hate Georgia. The Georgia's plan was to conquer Obhasia briefly with further extermination Obhasians by dissolving the nation among Georgian! And if it hadn't been for Russian military the Abhasian tribe might have become quite rare!

Last edited by lumumba; 08-12-2008 at 02:19 PM..

Old 08-12-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumumba View Post
How come? I can tell you. I was in Obhasia, which used to be targeted by Georgia some times ago, you know it's like Ossetia. And people in this country really hate Georgia. The Georgia's plan was to conquer Obhasia briefly with further extermination Obhasians by dissolving the nation between Georgia! And if it hadn't been for Russian military the Abhasian tribe might have become quite rare!
So why exactly did Russia invade Gerogia? Was it to stop an attack a specific ethnic group. Or was it to punish Georgia for past transgressions.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
So why exactly did Russia invade Gerogia? Was it to stop an attack a specific ethnic group. Or was it to punish Georgia for past transgressions.
Invade!? What do you mean invade??? I can tell that Russia was and is not against Georgia... It is Georgia itself who has imagined that they can behave as they do and even go for Russia. We've got some power by the way and are able to make Georgia suffer in a matter of a minute. But Russia is not an aggressive country and that invading as you said was just compelled.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumumba View Post
Invade!? What do you mean invade??? I can tell that Russia was and is not against Georgia... It is Georgia itself who has imagined that they can behave as they do and even go for Russia. We've got some power by the way and are able to make Georgia suffer in a matter of a minute. But Russia is not an aggressive country and that invading as you said was just compelled.
It was an invasion of a sovereign nation. Ha, don't ask Bush to define "sovereign nation." Anyway, we don't need to argue about semantics. I also don't need to hear how Russia can make Georgia suffer. I already know that Russia is a very powerful country with a powerful military.

Why did the Russian army penetrate Georgian borders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia