U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:06 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,581,196 times

Advertisements

LOL.

Well, what would you expect to happen? If they had been stoned to death for sex outside marriage it might be more noteworthy.

These people had sex on the beach, allegedly. In a place where kissing and holding hands in public is against the law, technically (considering the round up of topless sunbathers following the arrest of the couple, I doubt they have been enforcing the no kissing in public law)

what struck me from the article was the following:

"Dubai's indigenous population.... Emiratis account for only 15 percent to 20 percent of a population dominated by Asian migrant workers, Western ex-pats and tourists."

Imagine the hayday those over in the Immigration forum would have if this was true of NYC, only 15-20% American! OMG.

Internat, you are going to have to find something else to post if you are looking for shock and outrage.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 12:12 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,581,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
The man met the woman at a club & had sex with her on a public beach.They both were intoxicated & their hormones were out of control.They made a stupid mistake.It happens but 3 months in a foreign jail especially in the middle east is abit harsh for a first time offense.They should of been just fined & deported.The middle east culture & laws are quite foul & the way the woman are treated makes me sick.Women are our equals & as such should be treated the same & with respect.
What do you think the punishment would have been here?

You mention respect when talking about to drunk people screwing on the beach? Give me a break. They quite obviously had no respect for themselves, each other, or the foreign country they were in and it's laws.

You should always be cautious when you are in a foreign country.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:13 PM

9,735 posts, read 18,453,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Like your mouth then. Period.

How you "look" at things have nothing to do with reality.

You did strike me as a troll playing the victim card being scared of being banned.
Who the hell said i was scared of being banned.I was banned for awhile so i know to be careful in what i say.Keep your personel attacks to yourself.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:18 PM

8,927 posts, read 13,692,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
The man met the woman at a club & had sex with her on a public beach.They both were intoxicated & their hormones were out of control.They made a stupid mistake.It happens but 3 months in a foreign jail especially in the middle east is abit harsh for a first time offense.They should of been just fined & deported.The middle east culture & laws are quite foul & the way the woman are treated makes me sick.Women are our equals & as such should be treated the same & with respect.
I don't agree with many of the laws in the middle east either. But getting my panties in a bunch about something I can't change isn't worth it. Yeah, the punishment was a bit harsh compared to more western countries but what do you expect from a middle eastern country? And frankly, compared to some other middle eastern countries, the punishment was lenient! If you don't agree with the strict and unfair laws of a country, simply don't travel there and certainly don't break their laws!

I even once read an article on this very type of thing, reminding travellers to be respectful of a country's culture and laws because being ignorant to them might land you in hot water. Foolish travellers wind up in bad situations and if you're unable to be respectful, don't go there in the first place.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:45 PM

3,469 posts, read 7,156,692 times
I read another article with more details that said they have been charged for public sex, but it is unclear what really happened. Apparently, the couple is claiming they just kissed, and supposedly that is illegal also. The article I read said that all public displays of affection are illegal in Dubai. That seems pretty crazy to me; is holding hands illegal also? Sure it is their country & "when in Rome", but it seems like a cold & uptight place I wouldn't want to vacation at....

They are also charged for public drunkenness, which they admit to & is wrong. However, the hotel they were at was serving an all-you-can-drink champagne brunch. I mean, that practically seems like entrapment! Let's serve all you can drink to western tourists at our fancy hotel and then throw them in jail when they have one too many and make out with someone . What a great place to vacation...

ABC News: Dubai: Britons Get Jail Time in Sex on Beach Case

Old 10-16-2008, 01:07 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,142,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post

They are also charged for public drunkenness, which they admit to & is wrong. However, the hotel they were at was serving an all-you-can-drink champagne brunch. I mean, that practically seems like entrapment!
How so??? It does say Public drunkenness. Were the Hotel serving it out in the street??
Seems the ones with the biggest problem with this are the same people who scream about foreigners not fitting in and obeying laws in their countries..ie: US and UK..Stinks of duplicity don`t you think??
Anyhow that`s the serious part done...Now it`s back to me giggling about it all with the rest of the sane folks...

Old 10-16-2008, 01:12 PM

13,107 posts, read 24,916,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
They were sure pushing it, doing that in Dubai. Yeah, okay Dubai's more "modern" and "Western-style" than a lot of Middle-Eastern places but let's not take advantage of their openness. A sure way to get some of the less open types to start a backlash against Westerners in Dubai, is to pull crap like this.

Besides, the last thing I'd want to come across on any beach, even in Oz, is a couple of drunks rutting on the beach. Yech! Get a room!
I couldn't agree more...they were in a Muslim country, maybe laid back a bit more then other Muslim countries, but bottom line is respect the laws of the country you are visiting...I'm sure the Brit diplomats will have them released in short time

Old 10-16-2008, 01:20 PM

3,469 posts, read 7,156,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
How so??? It does say Public drunkenness. Were the Hotel serving it out in the street??
Seems the ones with the biggest problem with this are the same people who scream about foreigners not fitting in and obeying laws in their countries..ie: US and UK..Stinks of duplicity don`t you think??
Anyhow that`s the serious part done...Now it`s back to me giggling about it all with the rest of the sane folks...
I am not one of those people. I don't scream about any foreigners not fitting in where I live, so I don't know what you are implying.

The article implies they were arrested at a beach...likely, the beach was by the hotel, right? There's not enough info to determine how far from the hotel they were and what they consider to be "public" there. Is the beach by the hotel considered public, even if owned by the hotel?

The problem is the way this country seems to present itself to tourists and the way they really are.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:29 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,072,988 times
There are countries in this world that have interesting things to see and experience, but their political systems and ideologies are so profoundly odious to me that I will never set foot there. It's okay not to visit a country because its laws are insane, and you don't have to tolerate the intolerable. However, if you do choose to go to another country, it behooves you to obey its laws, even if they are very different from those in your native land. Foreigners are not entitled to special treatment just because they are foreigners. And, it works both ways: Muslim men in the UK who marry 9 year-old girls should go to jail regardless of what the Sharia law says; and Britons who do the deed or pet on a beach in Dubai should go to jail regardless of how such behavior is viewed back in Merry Old England. Conversely, if UK citizens are to be let off the hook where Emirati's wouldn't because heavy petting in a public place is no big deal in the UK, then don't complain when all those ethnic and religious groups back home demand special treatment.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:55 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,249,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Internat, you are going to have to find something else to post if you are looking for shock and outrage.......
I'm not here to shock you. I can smell an agenda from far away. Be naive if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia