U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:55 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,139,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I am not one of those people. I don't scream about any foreigners not fitting in where I live, so I don't know what you are implying.

The article implies they were arrested at a beach...likely, the beach was by the hotel, right? There's not enough info to determine how far from the hotel they were and what they consider to be "public" there. Is the beach by the hotel considered public, even if owned by the hotel?

The problem is the way this country seems to present itself to tourists and the way they really are.
No I wasn`t implying you personally. Apologies if it came over that way..
The more detailed report on BBC 6pm news would answer your question about the beach. Yes it was very public. A fact also reported that has escaped people is this. The same police who arrested them had warned them earlier in the evening, at the same spot apparently, about their behaviour. That, one would think, should have been enough. Oh no...Clever buggers..Champers in,, Brains down the crapper. Knowing that then they certainly deserved all they got....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,246,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
The man met the woman at a club & had sex with her on a public beach.They both were intoxicated & their hormones were out of control.They made a stupid mistake.It happens but 3 months in a foreign jail especially in the middle east is abit harsh for a first time offense.They should of been just fined & deported.The middle east culture & laws are quite foul & the way the woman are treated makes me sick.Women are our equals & as such should be treated the same & with respect.
The Middle East is not uniform. Furthermore, this story is not particularly about women and their rights.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Who the hell said i was scared of being banned.I was banned for awhile so i know to be careful in what i say.Keep your personel attacks to yourself.
I'm not surprised you were banned.

The problem is not you have brought up a controversial issue. I do it all the time. Read Albinos in Burundi flee killings

You don't mean well. I stand by my opinion that you're only here to provoke.

Last edited by internat; 10-16-2008 at 02:14 PM..

Old 10-16-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post

The problem is the way this country seems to present itself to tourists and the way they really are.
This I can agree with as the locals of Dubai are much more strict than say Lebanon or Turkey. Dubai is fascist. There are many social issues. Pakistani and Indian workers work under harsh conditions. They are an underclass with no rights.

Americans, Brits, and other Europeans are attracted to the money and the high living standard. But it all feels fake and superficial. I believe and hope it's temporary. It has no substance. You cannot just look at a few tall buildings.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:18 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,422,597 times
The bottom line is they made a stupid mistake but the punishment does not fit the crime.The laws are lame in that horrid foreign country & 3 months in a tough foreign jail is going to be very tough for them.Any country (people) that treats their women like they do is pathetic & foul.WOMEN ARE OUR EQUALS...PERIOD!!!!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:27 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,139,004 times
Quote:
The bottom line is they made a stupid mistake but the punishment does not fit the crime.The laws are lame in that horrid foreign country & 3 months in a tough foreign jail is going to be very tough for them.Any country (people) that treats their women like they do is pathetic & foul.WOMEN ARE OUR EQUALS...PERIOD!!!!
Exactly..That`s why the sentence was the same for both of them...

Old 10-20-2008, 10:31 AM

347 posts, read 1,199,206 times
Quote:
The man met the woman at a club & had sex with her on a public beach.They both were intoxicated & their hormones were out of control.They made a stupid mistake.It happens but 3 months in a foreign jail especially in the middle east is abit harsh for a first time offense.They should of been just fined & deported.The middle east culture & laws are quite foul & the way the woman are treated makes me sick.Women are our equals & as such should be treated the same & with respect.
So what would Britons do if they found Middle Eastern foreigners doing the same on their beaches? Would they applaud and encourage them and let them go? Or would they make it a national issue and stereotype all Middle Easterners?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:05 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,574,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
I'm not here to shock you. I can smell an agenda from far away. Be naive if you like.
Now I am laughing.

So maybe I am naive. What the heck is the "agenda" you smell, exactly?

I cannot even fathom........

Old 10-21-2008, 02:09 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,919,143 times
If you can't do the time don't do the crime. It's like silly little girls going to smuggle drugs in the far east, and squealing it's unfair when they get punished. Show a little respect to the country you choose to visit.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Now I am laughing.

So maybe I am naive. What the heck is the "agenda" you smell, exactly?

I cannot even fathom........
Laugh? Is this funny to you?

You must have lived under a rock the last few years if you haven't heard of words like "Islamofascism".

You have been around this forum for long and probably others to know of agent provocateurs.

Personally, I dislike their law. That's not the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia