Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

I've heard Japanese society is still in some ways like America in the 50s. Considering most first world developed countries tend to be more influenced by ideas of equality and feminism, what are the reasons Japan resisted more/still seems old-fashioned in some respects? Is it classical Japanese isolationism, e.g. like in the 19th century before Commodore Perry? Someone in another thread said there's resentment in Japan against men, is that true as well? Also Japan's physical isolation from Europe and to a lesser extent North America? Just the conformist nature of Japan? Not to create waves?

I mean Japan is probably still modern and not really as bad as America in the 50s, I don't think, but it still does seem more traditional.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard Japanese society is still in some ways like America in the 50s. Considering most first world developed countries tend to be more influenced by ideas of equality and feminism, what are the reasons Japan resisted more/still seems old-fashioned in some respects? Is it classical Japanese isolationism, e.g. like in the 19th century before Commodore Perry? Someone in another thread said there's resentment in Japan against men, is that true as well? Also Japan's physical isolation from Europe and to a lesser extent North America? Just the conformist nature of Japan? Not to create waves?

I mean Japan is probably still modern and not really as bad as America in the 50s, I don't think, but it still does seem more traditional.
I would say that females are held in higher regard then in China and S. Korea, but not by much.

My wife feels more empowered in Japan then in the USA, however I do not think she is looking at the large picture. Unfortunatley, most large companies are still ran by mostly men. Once the Japanese population starts becoming younger, I think Japan will resemble more western countries when it comes to women, especially in the work place.

Keep in mind (at least when I lived there 10+ years ago) in South Korea, it is/was common place for women to sit in the back seat when men were in the car, including sons. Also, women were/are not allowed to smoke outside without a shelter over their head.

I think the easy answer, it is an old country. That is why a lot of offices use a lot of older tech and cash is still preferred over plastic.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I would say that females are held in higher regard then in China and S. Korea, but not by much.

My wife feels more empowered in Japan then in the USA, however I do not think she is looking at the large picture. Unfortunatley, most large companies are still ran by mostly men. Once the Japanese population starts becoming younger, I think Japan will resemble more western countries when it comes to women, especially in the work place.

Keep in mind (at least when I lived there 10+ years ago) in South Korea, it is/was common place for women to sit in the back seat when men were in the car, including sons. Also, women were/are not allowed to smoke outside without a shelter over their head.

I think the easy answer, it is an old country. That is why a lot of offices use a lot of older tech and cash is still preferred over plastic.
The Japanese population is getting older, as is the case almost everywhere. An older population correlates to a higher standard of living and greater involvement of women. Not to say correlation is causation of course.

Wow, didn't know SK treated women like that.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,596,424 times
South Korea has evolved quickly and it isn't the same as even ten years ago, just was there visiting relatives and wow, what a difference. Japan is also come along way. My friends in Japan who are women say they feel it's better for them than in the U.S. They've lived in both countries. So, I'm not so sure they won't all pass the U.S. up rather quickly. One thing that's different is religious influences in regards to women. It's worse in the U.S. in that regard depending on your religious beliefs. The man is the head of the family under their Gods rule so you might as well be living in the 50's. IMO, of course.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM

Yes I bet they have changed a lot. It's interesting though, since they've been modern for so long, it took them a little while to 'catch up.' I hope it doesn't go too far though, with a lot of women resenting men in general.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,596,424 times
Quote:
Yes I bet they have changed a lot. It's interesting though, since they've been modern for so long, it took them a little while to 'catch up.' I hope it doesn't go too far though, with a lot of women resenting men in general.
They haven't been modern for that long in Korea, IMO, I'm old though. It sort of took off with a bang and happened fast. Although they just voted a female president, Ms Park, into office. She is conservative but not as bad as some. She seems so far to be concerned most with social programs. Hopefully she'll keep her promises. Hopefully she won't shut down any progress. I think she will be tougher on the large family owned big business(chaebol). We will see. The conservative party usually gives into them.

The entertainment industry and clothing styles in Korea are booming right now. That always helps a country progress, it puts it into the spotlight.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
They haven't been modern for that long in Korea, IMO, I'm old though. It sort of took off with a bang and happened fast. Although they just voted a female president, Ms Park, into office. She is conservative but not as bad as some. She seems so far to be concerned most with social programs. Hopefully she'll keep her promises. Hopefully she won't shut down any progress. I think she will be tougher on the large family owned big business(chaebol). We will see. The conservative party usually gives into them.

The entertainment industry and clothing styles in Korea are booming right now. That always helps a country progress, it puts it into the spotlight.
Yes I'm sure it will be a step in the progress of SK. Korea being in the international spotlight will also mean yet more interchange between Korea and the rest of the world, so no doubt Korea will become more globalised and like the rest of the world. Yes, their technological rise only really began in the 1960s and didn't really rev up until the 1980s/1990s.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:

I agree that Japan, and Korea, and pretty much every country in Asia needs to do a lot more for their female populations.

That being said, I do like the fact that women have that option of also staying home without any negative stigma to it. The society/culture accepts that, and it's very allowable.

I feel like in the U.S., we've gone to a society where both people MUST work, just to make ends meet. With two people always working, it makes it necessary that both continue to work, or you're income is suddenly cut in half. It's not an option for a woman not to work in the U.S. Furthermore, the 'feminist' idea is great that women can get GOOD JOBS. But, unfortunately, the majority of dual-income Americans do not both have great jobs. You go to Wal-Mart, and you'll see rows and rows and rows of female cashiers standing up all day and working hard to pay the bills. I think most of those women might feel absolutely obligated to stand working the cash register day after day. Whereas in Japan, those same women would be given money by the Japan gov't to be at home with their kids. There is nothing wrong with being home with kids. But, in the U.S., we've turned into a society that considers that abnormal.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,267,973 times
I sense a stigma against traditional roles of women. Not every woman loves to compete with men and work around the clock. Some would rather stay home and be a good wife and mum. Whatever floats the boat, I guess.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I agree that Japan, and Korea, and pretty much every country in Asia needs to do a lot more for their female populations.

That being said, I do like the fact that women have that option of also staying home without any negative stigma to it. The society/culture accepts that, and it's very allowable.

I feel like in the U.S., we've gone to a society where both people MUST work, just to make ends meet. With two people always working, it makes it necessary that both continue to work, or you're income is suddenly cut in half. It's not an option for a woman not to work in the U.S. Furthermore, the 'feminist' idea is great that women can get GOOD JOBS. But, unfortunately, the majority of dual-income Americans do not both have great jobs. You go to Wal-Mart, and you'll see rows and rows and rows of female cashiers standing up all day and working hard to pay the bills. I think most of those women might feel absolutely obligated to stand working the cash register day after day. Whereas in Japan, those same women would be given money by the Japan gov't to be at home with their kids. There is nothing wrong with being home with kids. But, in the U.S., we've turned into a society that considers that abnormal.
Singapore and Hong Kong are probably exceptions in terms of being like America. In most cases both work, that's why many Singaporeans have maids or domestic helpers. The cost of living basically demands it, though. I imagine in Tokyo you'd see more women in the workforce too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia