U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:09 AM

6 posts, read 29,472 times

Advertisements

Hey JMT,
Thank you so much for giving the details. You got the point of view of foreigner! (Btw, are you an American?) Speaking of the air pollution, you totally get the point. The government in China doesn't really concern the problem unless there are fireworks to show in the city or during the time for Olympic games. Afterall, we can still find that the air is bad. Many things are cheap here in Hong Kong but I still can't find many American made products or even brands which I have to order online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 04:11 AM

Bamba_boy,
Thanks for your reply. You guys can really tell the outsider's point of view although this is not actually MY question in this topic. Well, do you mean working in Hong Kong?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:33 AM

1,147 posts, read 3,032,474 times
Yes, dlmui, my question concerned working in HK for an American Citizen.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:23 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
My favorite memory of Hong Kong. I stayed a couple of weeks with a friend in his apartment in a suburb. The "suburb" consisted of 5 high rise buildings, each about 40 stories. Quite a lot of the people in this estate were refugees from China. Across the highway was a fairly steep wooded hillside with rough walking trails on it. It is illlegal in in most places to have a private garden, because of the general lack of space. But early in the morning, on the hillside, I would see old ladies in their 80's tending little spaces they had cleared, maybe two feet square, and growing a tomato plant and a few onions. They had grown up in the country, and just couldn't get the soil out from under their fingernails.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:43 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,458,887 times
Unfortunately its now in recession, its last recession was during the SARs epidemic. Well unfortunately for them, but perhaps now is a good opportunity to get good deals on hotel rooms, etc. Perhaps even electronics which when I last checked was not significantly cheaper than in the US (Bangkok still has the best prices IMO)

Last edited by minibrings; 11-18-2008 at 04:07 PM..

Old 11-22-2008, 02:23 AM

6 posts, read 13,766 times
Hi Shomari,

I am an American female living in HK and I must say that a great deal of what was said on this thread in completely wrong, in my opinion.

I have also lived in Japan and there is absolutely nothing in common between HK Central and Tokyo, except cement and skyscrapers. The vibes of the cities are antithetical.

HK is not a clean city by any means, in fact for the amount of money generated here, it is pretty trashed. Moreover, the environmental practices here are quite shameful and there is a Chinese approach to chucking garbage anywhere and then leaving it that is frustrating.

Also, there are so many foreigners and there has been for such along time, that no one would blink an eye at you in most places. You would not be considered famous or a criminal, you just would not be considered for the most part. In other Asian countries, you would be stereotyped, but not in the same ways here. It is very easy to distinguish the Africans from the African Americans and British here, so
I do no think think you would have an issue there. There is a great West African club called Makumba which plays awesome reggae and afro-beats. It is frequented by Africans, Americans, and some HKers.

Your questions deal with culture and I would say that the HK people view the mainland Chinese as a New Yorker might view a West Virginian. HKers generally feel they hold an elite status to mainland Chinese and do not want to be lumped into the same category as them. That being said, they are business people and anything cultural such as Chinese art or film that can turn a profit is sold. Hkers will use there China link for profit, but will also be clear to note they are better educated and more civilized. (Although there is still rampant nose picking and spitting here.)

When I ask HKers about their culture, most say that they do not have one. They have traditions and practices from the mainland, but they lose meaning here. This is a society based on capitalism and everywhere people are trying to make money, or talking about making money, or asking you how much you make.

Please note that this is a sweeping generalization and that there are small pockets of HK which are opposite to this, but overall this is the prevailing feeling.

HK is diverse and there are so may different aspects to it that it is hard to do justice in one post. If you have any other questions, let me know and I will try to help. If you plan on visiting, I could also help you out.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:10 AM

63 posts, read 199,422 times
It's very dense, people are walking everywhere, and the restaurants are never empty. (even though its 11PM or 9AM, they're still packed). There are actually a number of Africans (I'm not sure if they're African American but I don't think so) esp. in Kowloon. Just be aware that some Chinese may be racist towards the African descent.

Food prices are quite expensive (about 50-60 HKD) but there are no GST, so electronics are pretty cheap. Oh yea, most people also speak English, so you should have no problem.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:20 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Kel-chan, do you have a rat-board in your front door? Do you boil your water? Just curious as to whether these two cultural traditions are still prevalent.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Yes, dlmui, my question concerned working in HK for an American Citizen.
depends on the profession... i work in advertising field. usually people need more money to hire foreigners (means american, british....) due to the difference of cost-of-living index... unless they dun come to work!

Old 11-27-2008, 04:11 AM

6 posts, read 13,766 times
jturr88, no rat-board in my front door, but I do boil my water. I live in Sai Kung though, so rat boards are not a necessity. Did you live here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or