U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:34 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,606,089 times

Advertisements

Do not bump up old threads from 9 years ago...

Old 06-20-2017, 11:57 AM

6,006 posts, read 3,467,932 times
Excuse me, but you are not in a position to tell people what to do here.

City-Data encourages the bumping of old threads by making suggestions of certain threads and including links to them every time someone does a search here. That's why very old threads sometimes get resurrected. If you don't like the thread, do not click on it.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:15 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,409,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Excuse me, but you are not in a position to tell people what to do here.

City-Data encourages the bumping of old threads by making suggestions of certain threads and including links to them every time someone does a search here. That's why very old threads sometimes get resurrected. If you don't like the thread, do not click on it.
Necro-posting!
Usually happens with new members come in from a google search. But it looks like an established member did the necro-post deed for a reason only known to him or her, didn't really add anything to the topic.
In the other posters defense - It is a bit irritating I must admit answering to a 9 year old topic, people don't notice the original posting date. CityData encourages usage of the search feature yes, to answer questions and for research, but offer no comment on resurrecting old threads. I think I've seen some locked.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:36 PM

18,529 posts, read 9,580,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
Haha!

It's true. I lived in Beijing for over a year studying at BLCU in the Haidian District...I had never encountered such rude people...people think New Yorkers are rude...hell...you've got a big surprise waiting for you in Beijing!

There is a pretty big anti-foreigner sentiment in Beijing but like most Asian cultures, they roll out the red carpet for white men.
(Its even the same in USA...I go to an asian restaurant [especially korean] and they drop my check off halfway into my meal and the white patrons around me have a relaxed meal and have to ask for their bill haha!)

But having that set aside, even to my white american roommates, Beijing people were rude and have horrible habits like spitting everywhere etc...
This mainly applies to the older generation (30+)...I found that the Beijing people my age (Early 20s) were generally very open and very nice.

Oh yeah...and the random beating of african students in the Sanlitun bar district wasnt particularly cool either...(I was there)
*Everyone in China thought I was from India lol.

Excessive Force or Racism by Beijing Police? | China Expat - China Expat City Guide

I enjoyed my visits to Beijing so no complaints. The habit of people to get in your way and possibly bump into you, jump in front of you in a line is aggravating but at the same time, friendly people, good service, safe, and fun place.

Just realized the thread is 8 years ago...my comments are not changed.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:20 PM

4,685 posts, read 3,614,137 times
Basically, you can be as rude as you want when you live by the feet of the emperors......

Old 06-20-2017, 09:40 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,470,590 times
I know this thread is almost a decade old but just to give my perspective of people in China in general. Yes they are rude, even native Chinese who move the US have said so. A big problem with Chinese society today is the all too prevalent lack of empathy doing whatever it takes to get ahead at the expense of others. This is not everyone by any means but a much larger portion of the population compared to Western countries (at least on the surface). I've visited China many times and would never live there. I've experienced nothing but rudeness, disdain and hostility while there. Granted most people are neutral but I have never experienced the friendliness and curiosity that so many foreigners talk about when visiting China. Because of this I turn into the "ugly American" whenever I detect hostility or rudeness towards me. It's not a pretty sight.

BTW I'm an Asian American (not Chinese) who doesn't speak Chinese with a wife from China. I'm 100% sure if I were a white American my experience would be totally different. Just shows the blatant racism that is prevalent in China.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I know this thread is almost a decade old but just to give my perspective of people in China in general. Yes they are rude, even native Chinese who move the US have said so. A big problem with Chinese society today is the all too prevalent lack of empathy doing whatever it takes to get ahead at the expense of others. This is not everyone by any means but a much larger portion of the population compared to Western countries (at least on the surface). I've visited China many times and would never live there. I've experienced nothing but rudeness, disdain and hostility while there. Granted most people are neutral but I have never experienced the friendliness and curiosity that so many foreigners talk about when visiting China. Because of this I turn into the "ugly American" whenever I detect hostility or rudeness towards me. It's not a pretty sight.

BTW I'm an Asian American (not Chinese) who doesn't speak Chinese with a wife from China. I'm 100% sure if I were a white American my experience would be totally different. Just shows the blatant racism that is prevalent in China.
If you look Asian, why do you expect people in China to be curious about you?

Some Chinese people do have some negative attitude towards ethnic Chinese who can't speak Chinese, because it shows they or their family don't treasure Chinese culture enough. Even though you are not ethnic Chinese, they may have thought you were.

If you are Japanese, it could be worse depending on when and where you are in China. But generally speaking, Chinese people are not hostile at all. You may have been too sensitive.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:31 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,632,781 times
I also find Chinese (not only in Beijing) extremely rude in many cases. Even if I am a white male. Sometimes I feel they do not have any empathy for other human beings. Also shows the case that after a traffic accident they rather kill the people instead of being responsible for the medical treatment. Also they have no ethics in terms of copyrights, business moral, exploiting other people (e.g. immigrants from poorer countries). Civilization obviously doesn't automatically come with money.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:45 AM

6,774 posts, read 5,122,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I love China. I spent three weeks in Shanghai and Beijing a couple years ago and will be back in Beijing for a full month later this year.

I found it helpful to step outside of my sanitized western cultural ways and remain open-minded to things that at the onset seemed rude to me, but in reality were just part of a culture that I was new too. It probably helped that I grew up in SF and have been around Chinese my entire life.

Chinese don't spit to be rude or filthy. They live in a horribly congested environment and breathe toxic air. Clearing one's lungs and spitting phlegm out is just seen as a smart way to help ward off bronchial infections. Of course my delicate western sensibilities think this is gross, but reminding myself "you're not in Kansas anymore, Toto" was very helpful.

Chinese don't value personal space like us Westerners do. They are used to very crowded spaces and this is reflected in their habit of pushing against each other. It's to make room for others, not to be rude.

Chinese love to stare. It's a pastime. They don't do it to be rude, it's just seen as an interesting way to psss the time.
You must have a highly uplifting spirit to interpret all these deplorable practices in a positive light. Hats off to you.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:06 AM

I think many Westerners have never lived in any other "developing country" before living in China. After I visited Cairo Egypt, many negative impressions on Beijing just disappeared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or