U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 09:09 AM

1,807 posts, read 812,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Well, it depends on what China wants to be seen. If they claim the status of a developing country on a level with Egypt, and not a global power and world economic power, then their behavior indeed is appropriate.
China is a third world country, no dispute.

Personally, I can't claim I'm a billionaire to become one. Okay, I claim I'm a billionaire, I'm very very rich, I live in Trump tower. And what happens next? I'm still dirt poor in reality.

Inconsiderate behaviors shouldn't be considered appropriate in any country, in the same way crimes, corruptions, racisms shouldn't be considered appropriate anywhere. But as usual, things are much worse in the developing world. If you can't handle it, you shouldn't travel to the developing world at all. China, India, Thailand, Mexico, you name it.

Just defer non-essential travel to the developing world and you'll have nothing to worry about.

I'm very cautious when I travel to less desired areas. I do my research before I go, more importantly, before I decide whether I'll go in the first place, so I won't need to complain afterward.

The U.S is the global power, but I can't walk alone in Newark without hype anxiety about my safety. Transforming a society is much harder than military deployment. If a simple executive order could do the trick, the President would have already signed it.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:26 AM

12,329 posts, read 18,437,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
China is a third world country, no dispute.
First, Second, Third world designation is really an outdated label from the cold war. I am not sure what the proper term is now - "developing country"?
In my business we refer to them as part of BRIC - Brazil, Russia, India, and China - newly and quickly becoming industrialized and economically advanced. But now that term is starting to become outdated as well.
All I can say is I have been to some crap-holes in my life in Africa and Asia, and China is now way advanced past that level.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:27 AM

6,153 posts, read 3,494,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I don't get the complaint on "staring". Beijing and Shanghai are full of foreigners, have been for a long time. These are international cities almost on par with London and NYC. Tons of western expats live there and businessmen like me visit regularly.
The time of a foreigner being a rare sight in these big cities is long gone.
Beijing and Shanghai are also full of Chinese migrants from smaller provinces who are new to exposure to foreigners. As a woman who is very tall, brown-skinned, and full of curves, I definitely stick out like a sore thumb and receive a lot of stares there.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I don't really expect anything. It would be nice if I'd be judged on my character and actions more so than what I look like, but I guess that's asking too much for people as ignorant and racist as the average Chinese person. I first went to China 9 years ago with an open mind and not knowing what to expect. Well, needless to say my opinions of the people in that country have changed dramatically, for the worse. Of course they are not all as I describe, as evidenced by my wife and good Chinese friends I have. I was just replying with my personal experiences while there. Experiences that I'm sure differ from other people who have also been to China.
Your character and actions?

Sorry I don't see you have wonderful character and actions. As for what you look like, I have no idea.

For your own good, when you find yourself hating China, you shouldn't go to China anymore. Locals won't be nice to you if you fail to hide your hatred towards them. This is going to be a vicious cycle. Hopefully your job doesn't force you to visit China anymore.

God bless you.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
First, Second, Third world designation is really an outdated label from the cold war. I am not sure what the proper term is now - "developing country"?
In my business we refer to them as part of BRIC - Brazil, Russia, India, and China - newly and quickly becoming industrialized and economically advanced. But now that term is starting to become outdated as well.
All I can say is I have been to some crap-holes in my life in Africa and Asia, and China is now way advanced past that level.
Maybe the proper term is "relatively better developing country".

I think everyone has some expectation before visiting a foreign country, sometimes without being aware of it. Business people are interested in China for its potential to grow. Leisure tourists looking for a highly civilized affluent society in Asia should probably visit Japan instead.

I've been to some crap holes in America that are worse than a typical Chinese city, but nobody is shocked. Because everyone knows South Chicago, Downtown Buffalo, Newark and Oakland are no-go areas. Even the most religious China haters have to admit the rude behaviors, however unpleasant, do not pose real threat to them. When you travel to other developing countries(Mexico, for instance) and even no-go areas in America, you have to worry about safety. Yet China is extremely safe for visitors and residents. As a positive person, I'm surprised nobody compliments China on that. The run down areas in Shanghai are dirty and depressing, but never dangerous.

I'm not defending the "bad behaviors", and I am no less annoyed than anyone else when someone smokes in my face(that happens a lot in China).

But just 40 years ago, China was among the poorest country in the world. It's very important to keep that in perspective.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Beijing and Shanghai are also full of Chinese migrants from smaller provinces who are new to exposure to foreigners. As a woman who is very tall, brown-skinned, and full of curves, I definitely stick out like a sore thumb and receive a lot of stares there.
If you are an attractive woman, receiving a lot of stares is expected.

The poorly educated migrants aren't the most courteous people in the world, but they don't mean anything bad.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:12 AM

6,153 posts, read 3,494,584 times
Quote:
The poorly educated migrants aren't the most courteous people in the world, but they don't mean anything bad.
That's true - and we met some really fun people and had some great "single serving" experiences, like shotgunning beers on the Huangpu ferry one day with a bunch of toothless day laborers from Western China who were in Shanghai for their first time. GANBEI!

I've also never felt safer than I did while in China. With the exception of a few encounters with passive-aggressive Chinese men who intentionally cross into your path and bump into you, I never felt the slightest bit of concern for my safety. The look of surprise on their faces when their intimidation attempts were met with my sturdy Hawaiian swimmer's shoulders was kind of satisfying.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:05 PM

4,893 posts, read 3,397,849 times
This is a favorite topic of conversation in Singapore where thousands of Mainland Chinese have immigrated and are trying to assimilate into the local culture. Local people also claim they are rude and bad mannered. Newspapers there often have feature stories of some of these folks urinating in public and taking seats designated for elderly on public transportation. They are sometimes referred to as PRC's, Peoples Republic of China.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:30 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,474,370 times
Quote:
Your character and actions?

Sorry I don't see you have wonderful character and actions. As for what you look like, I have no idea.

For your own good, when you find yourself hating China, you shouldn't go to China anymore. Locals won't be nice to you if you fail to hide your hatred towards them. This is going to be a vicious cycle. Hopefully your job doesn't force you to visit China anymore.

God bless you.
So you can tell what my characters and actions are by reading one sentence of what I wrote? I think that's a new record. Of course you have no idea what I look like, or anything else about me, you only read one sentence of what I wrote before making a judgement on me. As for the rest of your post it's so far off it's not even worth a response. You know nothing about China and even less about me. Here's a suggestion for you: get out of your small hometown and travel the world. You'll experience the good, bad and everything in between the world has to offer. People overseas aren't always as PC as you've come to expect from living in a Western country your whole life. As for your "god bless you" ending, that's just a weird thing to say after what you've wrote.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:31 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,647,052 times
Quote:
I don't get the complaint on "staring". Beijing and Shanghai are full of foreigners, have been for a long time. These are international cities almost on par with London and NYC. Tons of western expats live there and businessmen like me visit regularly.
The time of a foreigner being a rare sight in these big cities is long gone.
No Chinese city is that international and you aren't considering all the Chinese who visit from rural areas. There are international neighborhoods and areas in the biggest cities, but get out of the core and it becomes 99% Chinese very quickly.

There is a difference between a city like Shanghai and Zhengzhou. In Shanghai a foreigner won't get stared at as much, but it still happens frequently. I caught people taking pictures of me everytime we went out and people would ask if they could take pictures with me. I personally don't mind, but after a few months it gets tiring, but I spend a lot of time in Henan province, so getting back to Shanghai can seem very international from that perspective.

The most diverse city in China is not as diverse as any average city in the US. There is far more diversity in Kansas City then Beijing or Shanghai. I mean a lot more and KC has nothing on London or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or