U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2017, 11:39 PM
 
4,665 posts, read 2,638,373 times
Reputation: 3342

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Since your understanding of Chinese politics is very rudimentary, analogies may help.

You have just changed your point. Your previous claim that deporting Africans is racism turned out to be totally invalid. It seems that you've realized that you made a false claim.

In your previous post, you mentioned the country of origin and race. You seemed to hint that White people from poorer countries(let's say Russia) are not treated that well. In fact, China favors citizens from more affluent countries, Japanese people are the favorite. Westerners occasionally misbehave, but Japanese people rarely make a scene. Race per se isn't a concern.

However, things are changing. With the arrival of poor White Americans moving to China with no money, Chinese in Shanghai have learned to tell the difference between affluent Whites and poor Whites. If you are believed to be a poor White American looking for freebies in China, you won't be treated with much respect.

I don't know how hard it is for Black Americans to get a job in China. Most expats I've met in Shanghai work for American multinational corporations. I've met one Black guy working for Citigroup, but most expats are White.

Do China favor whites over blacks? I guess the answer is yes, but the underlying reason might be different from what you believe.

I'm not saying Chinese are angels who believe people are equal. But in general Chinese don't really believe one race is inherently superior to another.

By the way, with all the white American privilege, you are still not pleased and feel "unwelcomed". I have no idea.
What does the last paragraph has to do with anything? Are you trying to imply I am liberal, which I am not. I love China and have posted again and again that racism towards whites is almost entirely positive in China. One of my best friends is black and married to a Chinese woman, that's why I care and that's how I realized we are not treated equally and it's not the same as the US.

As I stated over and over China view blacks in a low light because they believe they are poor and criminals. If that's not reality, please englishten me. Yes it's changing for the positive which I mentioned.

I was wrong on one point, to use deportations of Africans as an example of racism against black people, I admit that was not a good example, but it doesn't change reality.

 
Old 06-25-2017, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Tulsa
1,804 posts, read 806,102 times
Reputation: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
The vast majority of Chinese think the same way and have the same values. It is not as valued to do ones own thing. It is a very homogeneous society. Even the minority groups in China live a typical life of a Chinese person.

The rest of that I agree with. China is definitely a law and order country and it's very safe. I have nothing against that. None of us will be alive when China's per capita GDP tops western countries. I'm not saying it can't happen, but not for a while.

I love China, but it can be a very materialistic and narcissistic society. My wife's family is quite wealthy actually and their friends and relatives are too. It's a very class oriented society, wealthy people don't tend to socialize with poorer people. Wealthy Chinese look down on everyone. It's quite sad imo. I have a wealthy Chinese cousin who is a horrible human being, she's been a spoiled brat and thinks she is better then everyone. She's the most self centered person I've ever met, like someone out of a tv show. Luckily we seldom see her.
Yes, China is a very materialistic society.

But in such a stratified society, people from different backgrounds don't think alike. People in more affluent provinces prefer the free market, while those from poorer provinces miss the old days when everything was state owned. Educated Chinese and uneducated Chinese also have very different ideas about practically everything.

I've met many rich people, some of them are actually pretty humble. Simply because your wife is from a narcissistic family doesn't mean all wealth people are awful. There are many reasons why people from different classes do not socialize a lot. Actually, some poor people in China hate the rich people, too. The rich and the poor do not share the same values.
 
Old 06-25-2017, 12:58 AM
 
Location: Tulsa
1,804 posts, read 806,102 times
Reputation: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
What does the last paragraph has to do with anything? Are you trying to imply I am liberal, which I am not. I love China and have posted again and again that racism towards whites is almost entirely positive in China. One of my best friends is black and married to a Chinese woman, that's why I care and that's how I realized we are not treated equally and it's not the same as the US.

As I stated over and over China view blacks in a low light because they believe they are poor and criminals. If that's not reality, please englishten me. Yes it's changing for the positive which I mentioned.

I was wrong on one point, to use deportations of Africans as an example of racism against black people, I admit that was not a good example, but it doesn't change reality.
I don't think it's appropriate to discriminate people based on their financial situation but are blacks statistically poorer? Illegal Africans are definitely quite poor.
 
Old 06-25-2017, 03:25 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
China has deported the majority of the African people from their country .
Those people are deported because they broke the law by overstaying. It is not based on race.

Unlike America, the Chinese government makes clear distinction between immigrants and illegal immigrants and treat them differently. If you overstay, you are deported.
 
Old 06-25-2017, 07:05 AM
 
4,665 posts, read 2,638,373 times
Reputation: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Those people are deported because they broke the law by overstaying. It is not based on race.

Unlike America, the Chinese government makes clear distinction between immigrants and illegal immigrants and treat them differently. If you overstay, you are deported.
I agree, I regret using that as an example and wish I could go back and edit it out.
 
Old 06-25-2017, 08:39 AM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
12,583 posts, read 15,050,467 times
Reputation: 12118
I'd have to agree. Here in the US, we see Mainland Chinese visitors cutting in lines, spitting and violating personal space protocols (bumping people). Just awful.
 
Old 07-06-2017, 12:28 PM
 
2,038 posts, read 1,947,008 times
Reputation: 3449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Excuse me, but you are not in a position to tell people what to do here.

City-Data encourages the bumping of old threads by making suggestions of certain threads and including links to them every time someone does a search here. That's why very old threads sometimes get resurrected. If you don't like the thread, do not click on it.
I completely agree, old threads are the best (they give you a perspective from many years ago compared to now.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top