Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 03:08 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I think many Westerners have never lived in any other "developing country" before living in China. After I visited Cairo Egypt, many negative impressions on Beijing just disappeared.
Well, it depends on what China wants to be seen. If they claim the status of a developing country on a level with Egypt, and not a global power and world economic power, then their behavior indeed is appropriate.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:17 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Well, it depends on what China wants to be seen. If they claim the status of a developing country on a level with Egypt, and not a global power and world economic power, then their behavior indeed is appropriate.
China had the same GDP per capita as Egypt just 10 years ago, and was much poorer than Egypt 40 years ago. My parents' generation experienced a nation-wide famine.
People's behaviors are certainly influenced by their economic status, among other things.

However, I agree many people (especially older ones) in China lack empathy. Being densely populated does not help.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:27 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
Quote:
China had the same GDP per capita as Egypt just 10 years ago, and was much poorer than Egypt 40 years ago. My parents' generation experienced a nation-wide famine.
People's behaviors are certainly influenced by their economic status, among other things.

However, I agree many people (especially older ones) in China lack empathy. Being densely populated does not help.
I would think if more people are living close together, they should respect each other and treat each other more carefully than in individualists society, like let's say Alaska. If some rednecks are spitting on the dirtroad, I guess nobody really cares. But if like 20M people are living on a small spot, there is certainly need for some manners.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:47 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
I would think if more people are living close together, they should respect each other and treat each other more carefully than in individualists society, like let's say Alaska. If some rednecks are spitting on the dirtroad, I guess nobody really cares. But if like 20M people are living on a small spot, there is certainly need for some manners.
I think New Yorkers are "ruder" than people in the Midwest. It depends on how you define rudeness, but people in New York certainly do not greet strangers on the streets and are less patient.

Here comes another issue. Most Americans actually never lived in a crowded city for a long time. Even a smaller city in China is very densely populated.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:07 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
This is very true. Older Chinese people have had to fight for everything in life, it's just part of who they are. They are not trying to be rude, they have survival instincts that have kicked in that people in developed countries have never had to understand.

Now that China is becoming prosperous many of those same old Chinese are being left behind. They are not seeing the prosperity of the new China and it makes many of them angry and resentful. They worked so hard their entire lives and never got anything to show for it and they are still treated lowly. They are called the Lost Generation for a reason.

There are also some young Chinese whose wealth has gone to their heads, I have a cousin who falls into this category. She's the worst human being I have ever met.

But the average Chinese person is quite nice and friendly.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:38 PM

1,110 posts, read 983,476 times
Beijingers do not have good reputations in China. Most of them are bad behaved. A lot of them are even believing they have some sort of royal blood dating back to Qing dynasty. It is a very weird place

Old 06-21-2017, 04:28 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
You must have a highly uplifting spirit to interpret all these deplorable practices in a positive light. Hats off to you.
HA! I've been accused of "annoyingly cheerful behavior" more than once.

On the subject of the Chinese, I grew up among them in SF, and am Hawaiian myself. We have a long relationship of closeness. I've also had the good fortune of doing a lot of international travel, and have seen a lot of things that made my eyes bulge at the moment, but became lighthearted and humorous in hindsight.

When I was in China I spent many days alone out walking, shopping, and visiting parks. The constant staring was occasionally grating. I found that my Raybans and iPod earbuds were indispensable in "slowing down" the frenetic pace and making me feel more anonymous. I encountered a few situations where I wanted to meltdown, like when my hotel room ceiling panels abruptly fell onto my husband's head one day and gave him him a concussion, and when a brakechecking cab driver faceplanted me into his plexiglass barrier ... lol. It's pointless to raise your voice and yell though, because they'll just stare at you in shock and disgust. Dignified Chinese don't freak out on people, and in fact really look down on people who can't control their emotions. That's peasant behavior.

I definitely had to wear my patience on my sleeve on occasion. But I fell in love with China and cannot wait to go back this fall.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:44 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
Quote:
If you look Asian, why do you expect people in China to be curious about you?

Some Chinese people do have some negative attitude towards ethnic Chinese who can't speak Chinese, because it shows they or their family don't treasure Chinese culture enough. Even though you are not ethnic Chinese, they may have thought you were.

If you are Japanese, it could be worse depending on when and where you are in China. But generally speaking, Chinese people are not hostile at all. You may have been too sensitive.
I don't really expect anything. It would be nice if I'd be judged on my character and actions more so than what I look like, but I guess that's asking too much for people as ignorant and racist as the average Chinese person. I first went to China 9 years ago with an open mind and not knowing what to expect. Well, needless to say my opinions of the people in that country have changed dramatically, for the worse. Of course they are not all as I describe, as evidenced by my wife and good Chinese friends I have. I was just replying with my personal experiences while there. Experiences that I'm sure differ from other people who have also been to China.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:38 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
I don't get the complaint on "staring". Beijing and Shanghai are full of foreigners, have been for a long time. These are international cities almost on par with London and NYC. Tons of western expats live there and businessmen like me visit regularly.
The time of a foreigner being a rare sight in these big cities is long gone.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:11 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Quote:
I also find Chinese (not only in Beijing) extremely rude in many cases. Even if I am a white male. Sometimes I feel they do not have any empathy for other human beings. Also shows the case that after a traffic accident they rather kill the people instead of being responsible for the medical treatment. Also they have no ethics in terms of copyrights, business moral, exploiting other people (e.g. immigrants from poorer countries). Civilization obviously doesn't automatically come with money.
Immigrants from poorer countries?

Mexicans? The Great Wall? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia