U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:29 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,438,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I wouldn't even know where to begin, just tell me everything you know about Singapore lol. Make it LONG !
Haha I think wikipedia would do a better job on it. It sounds like you'd be better served by doing some thorough reading. If you then have specific questions which can't be answered by a general reference, e.g. about life or travel there, get back to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 11:16 AM

582 posts, read 995,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Haha I think wikipedia would do a better job on it. It sounds like you'd be better served by doing some thorough reading. If you then have specific questions which can't be answered by a general reference, e.g. about life or travel there, get back to me.
Honestly, I have already done this!

I have read Wikipedia, read travel guides, watched YouTube videos, watched shows on the travel channel, read citydata and other forums, started threads, Toured google maps, etc.

NOTHING about Singapore has caught my eye. I feel obligated to see it just because its a "world class city". If I'm not interested I just need to except it and I'm officially scratching off my list today. I have given Singapore all the chances in the world.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:29 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,438,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Honestly, I have already done this!

I have read Wikipedia, read travel guides, watched YouTube videos, watched shows on the travel channel, read citydata and other forums, started threads, Toured google maps, etc.

NOTHING about Singapore has caught my eye. I feel obligated to see it just because its a "world class city". If I'm not interested I just need to except it and I'm officially scratching off my list today. I have given Singapore all the chances in the world.
You said you didn't care too much about food, but have you tried any food from the region? Be careful you may get hooked!

Researching a place is different from actually visiting. Singapore might not be your style at all, but since it's so easy to get to and accessible, I recommend at least giving it 2-3 days. I can give you an itinerary if you're interested or you can roughly follow one of the others. You may very well stopover in Singapore. I think, for me, it's greatest selling point is just as an introduction for Asia and to get a taste of different cultures all in one place.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 PM

4,892 posts, read 3,396,070 times
Great place to visit as a tourist. None of the crime, corruption, grit and grime associated with some other Asian countries. Singaporeans are generally friendly. Most people are well educated. English is spoken. Lots of touristy type things to do and see.

If you are living there it's another story. Very high cost of living. It's a small island crowed with several million people. Only the ultra rich can afford single family homes. Most people live in crowded government subsidized high rises. If you're a drinker a beer could cost you $ 16.00 a bottle. Owning and operating even a small car can cost in excess of $100,000.00.

Don't even think about bringing drugs into the country. There are mandatory death penalties for trafficking even small amounts of drugs.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:03 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,856,825 times
It is like Hongkong as it is also small but it is more clean, green and people are friendly and cultured.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:26 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,543,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Great place to visit as a tourist. None of the crime, corruption, grit and grime associated with some other Asian countries. Singaporeans are generally friendly. Most people are well educated. English is spoken. Lots of touristy type things to do and see.

If you are living there it's another story. Very high cost of living. It's a small island crowed with several million people. Only the ultra rich can afford single family homes. Most people live in crowded government subsidized high rises. If you're a drinker a beer could cost you $ 16.00 a bottle. Owning and operating even a small car can cost in excess of $100,000.00.

Don't even think about bringing drugs into the country. There are mandatory death penalties for trafficking even small amounts of drugs.
Yep agree 100% Very nice place to visit and enjoy all the culinary delights and tourist attractions, but a pretty stressful place to actually live in as a citizen as far as I can tell.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:17 AM

422 posts, read 1,249,879 times
Always interesting to read what people say of my home country! LOL

Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM

90 posts, read 177,860 times
I was just in Singapore for a quick post graduation trip. Some people claim that it is essentially a police state. However if all the cities in the world can be like that I wouldn't mind living in such a police state.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:59 AM

12,631 posts, read 15,085,832 times
Educated population, not crowded, great food, warm and humid, safe, diverse, tolerant. These all describe Singapore.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:32 AM

110 posts, read 215,864 times
I keep seeing posts about how the people in Singapore are polite and I am inclined to think that these people only visited Singapore for a short while. I would say the complete opposite and say they are rude but then maybe my definition of politeness is different to others.

To be courteous hasn't caught on in this part of the world infact im not even sure they would know what the word means, thank you, please & excuse me are small but little words that you will hardly ever hear here. The only time I see politeness on a daily basis is in business and that's because its expected and forced like it been read from a script.

If you go to HK or China you will see much more rudeness for sure, Chinese culture seems to have a in and out culture so if your in such as family and close friends yes you will see politeness but if you are out this means a stranger, random encounter or even friend but not a close friend then you will not get the same politeness and it often comes across as rude and cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or