U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 09:18 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,135,782 times

Advertisements

Focus on abandoned boat as Mumbai seige ends - CNN.com

What is not mentioned here is that most of the major banks (BOA, Wachovia, Chase, etc) have their offshoring operations in Mumbai. Now, the controversy over offshoring aside, the terrorists were obviously targeting Americans and British citizens. In fact, that is mentioned in an earlier article. How sad, especially here at the holidays.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:06 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Exactly. That was the first thing I thought of, actually, when this all was unfolding initially. All the off-shoring.

I heard one person on CNN who was being interviewed in Mumbai say - "This is our 9/11."

I am sick about it. I keep wondering how many people from our area could possibly be there right now. My son's fiancee spent time there last summer . . . you just never know who is dealing w/ a horrific situation at this very moment - people whose families we may be acquainted with.

Very upsetting.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:44 PM

123 posts, read 271,255 times
It is sad that the fire, police department and the commandos are never prepared in case of an emergency!

Tata Chairman Speaks Out After Attacks - WSJ.com

I have a lot of friends and families staying there... all terrorised. Also news articles say that there were lot of insiders who helped the attack. Lack of intelligence...

Old 11-30-2008, 03:13 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,731,247 times
Don't quite understand why the news would mention Bank of American, Chase, and Wichovia being in Mumbai. Mumbai is larger than London. London has many more terrorists attacks than Mumbai. I certainly wouldn't limit my travels because of random acts of terrorism. I haven't yet and I am still here. Any attack these days are targeting the U.S. or our allies. I just missed the terrorist strikes in Bali a few years ago where Australians were the targets. I lived in London for years when the IRA were randomly bombing tourist attractions, ie. London Zoo, Tower of London, Hilton Hotel, and many other places. I think that it is a good idea to tell suspicious looking people overseas that you are Canadian. Seems that they don't have as many enemies as the U.S. and the U.K. In Mumbai, it was mentioned that U.S. and U.K. citizens were targeted in an effort to ensure world wide news coverage on BBC and major U.S. networks despite the fact that the problem was the disputed possession of Kashmir.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:33 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,431,686 times
Due to the inevitable links to political policies, let's keep discussions about this topic over in the Politics forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia