U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer to live if money was not an issue?
Hong Kong 35 53.85%
Miami 30 46.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 07:48 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,857,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Unless you speak Chinese and intergrate you'll never see the real side of HK. Racist labels given to everyone not HongKong Chinese (even mainlanders from China) White people = devils, black people = black devils, NO anti-discrimination laws against sexuality/race in HK, Hong-Born indians not given opportunities for not being Chinese, lack of variety, terrible pollution,the list goes on.

Great for a holiday, helll on earth to live
That's just how it is throughout a lot of East Asia. If you have a thick skin you just ignore it. And there are a lot of amazing opportunites to be had in spite of some of th racism you might encounter.

Besides, the US is full of judgements and prejudices too, they are just different. I think that a Chinese person in many parts of the US would probably face just as much prejudice as a white person in HK. It gos both ways.

The racism of HK is no worse than the US south or midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 08:05 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,265,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I think that a Chinese person in many parts of the US would probably face just as much prejudice as a white person in HK. It goes both ways.

The racism of HK is no worse than the US south or midwest.
I think the racism of USA is completely blown out of proportion. It is not as bad as most make it seem.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:07 PM

567 posts, read 1,346,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Neither. I lived in HK already and Miami holds zero interest for me. If money was no object, I'd go with Singapore.
I love Singapore.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:57 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,898,256 times
yes, Singapore would be the place to be, but the OP asked whether it would be Miami or HK.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:59 PM

55,697 posts, read 74,690,590 times
money is not an issue. i will stay here thank you very much.
no winter. my chinese is lousy. i dont like 20 ft snakes and alligators.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:08 PM

11,900 posts, read 32,951,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
money is not an issue. i will stay here thank you very much.
no winter. my chinese is lousy. i dont like 20 ft snakes and alligators.
Huh? Hong Kong has 20 ft snakes and alligators? ??

I've lived in both HK and Miami and I would live in HK again in a heartbeat. No other city on the planet has mountains, beaches, farms, lakes, uninhabited islands, amusement parks, world-class dining and shopping, fishing villages and super modern high-rises all within a mere 400 square miles. The people are loud and pushy, but at least they're industrious and hard working. There's no welfare class in HK. HK also has a heck of a lot less crime, slums, trash, and graffiti than Miami. Even McDonald's is cheaper in HK than it is in Miami--and they serve Egg McMuffins all day long.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:50 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,693,940 times
I picked Miami because HK, culturally, would be too different for me. I've been there, loved it, but it's one of those cities that I love visiting but know that I could never live there. Montreal's another city like that for me.

And since money wouldn't be an issue, I'd prefer Miami for the closer access to the rest of the US, Canada, Europe, the Caribbean, etc.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:42 AM

195 posts, read 681,633 times
Comparing Hong Kong with Miami then making a decision where to live!
It is just like comparing an apple with an orange and I have to make a decision which one is better!
Hong Kong is a financial center!
Miami is not...
But I will pick Miami...

Last edited by N.Y.Traveler; 12-28-2008 at 06:51 AM..

Old 12-28-2008, 09:42 AM

43,858 posts, read 44,638,045 times
Looks like I was the tie-breaker thus far by picking Miami. I'm not sure I would really want to live in either of those cities, but I chose Miami simply because learning Spanish is easier than learning Chinese.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,265,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Looks like I was the tie-breaker thus far by picking Miami. I'm not sure I would really want to live in either of those cities, but I chose Miami simply because learning Spanish is easier than learning Chinese.
I'm actually starting to learn Chinese tomorrow.. we'll see how that goes and then I'll get back to you on what is easier to learn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or