Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer to live if money was not an issue?
Hong Kong 44 53.01%
Miami 39 46.99%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times

Advertisements

Neither , both are my idea of hell , but if someone put a gun to my head I guess it would be Miami as I could at least easily get away from the crowds, hustle and bustle and have easy access to places I actually like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 03:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Hong Kong without question

Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 PM

19 posts, read 65,909 times
Oh my god HONG KONG. The nightlife in that city is the BOMB. Don't get me wrong Miami is good too but I am a City Boy (I'm from Houston) at heart and only HONG KONG could keep my cravings at hand.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
A company would have to pay a LOT to keep me in Hong Kong. I would love it as a single, but as a family of 5, it would be really hard to live there. Personally, I prefer Hong Kong, but with a family, I would choose Miami just because I could have a house with a yard for the kids to go play in.

Dawn

Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 PM

709 posts, read 1,497,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't have a problem with Islam. I respect all religions. I'm sure I could adapt very easily to a Muslim environment. I'd be happy to wear a hijab even, and think they look quite beautiful and feminine. No problem.
Yeah, you do have a good point. Given a choice between several flawed alternatives, Dubai (or Bahrain, Qatar, etc) just might be the best choice available.

A Hijab might be a good idea anyway for practical reasons: hot sandy wind, sunburn, people who spit when they talk, etc. And it helps hide various potentually-rude facial expressions that might occur to a foreign visitor - let's see, there's:

... the "in my country all streets have names" expression ...

... the "OMG, what have you done with the rest of the Internet" expression ...

... the "the Arabic language is really a 1000 different languages and people hardly understand each-other here" expression ...

... the "didn't anyone here see any American pop culture that happened after 1980s" expression ...

... the "I understand how a water hose might be used in place of toilet paper, but just when I need to use it the water pressure drops to a trickle" expression ...

... and so on (your stereotypes may vary), but the #1 facial expression you might want to keep to yourself is:

... the "sure, we're avoiding the 16% income tax, but Hong Kong is better in every other conceivable way and it's totally not worth it" expression ...

Old 01-13-2009, 09:49 PM

42 posts, read 105,319 times
Miami definitely. I wouldn't want to live in a city that is 95% Asian (not racist, I'm Asian), not Hong Kong, not Tokyo, not Seoul, or Shanghai, Beijing, etc.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:46 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,488 times
uhm..I don't know..
I love Miami but I have never seen Hong Kong. I'm curious...
Now, I can tell you Miami but... I'm not sure!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:40 PM

15 posts, read 61,182 times
miami for sure. much hotter women. big houses. better beaches. better food. cleaner.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:10 PM

339 posts, read 1,168,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernmentMan View Post
Miami definitely. I wouldn't want to live in a city that is 95% Asian (not racist, I'm Asian), not Hong Kong, not Tokyo, not Seoul, or Shanghai, Beijing, etc.
Hmmm, I find most (big) asian cities to be functional, well-ordered, safe (i.e. low crime) and vibrant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTCREW View Post
miami for sure. much hotter women. big houses. better beaches. better food. cleaner.
Wow, Miami must be an incredibly clean place! Hong Kong is, without a doubt, the cleanest large city I've ever seen. Well, except for the air. Post SARS, EVERYTHING is cleaned, cleaned and cleaned some more. There are literally teams of cleaners everywhere you go. Most public toilets are, for example, spotless. They won't even let you near a public pool until you've had a compulsory shower.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Hong Kong without question. Have been to both and Hong Kong has prettier women, better job opportunities, much prettier and cleaner, better weather, better nightlife, friendlier people, less crime. I can't think of a way that Miami is better except maybe for drug and thug culture (which I despise)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia