Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer to live if money was not an issue?
Hong Kong 44 53.01%
Miami 39 46.99%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:57 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times

Advertisements

Both cities (Hong Kong and Miami) have tropical climates, have massive skylines, located on bays, and are international business centers. Which of the two cities would you prefer to live in if money wasn't an issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 02:05 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Hong Kong....I can't STAND flat country....

Old 12-19-2008, 02:18 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,527 times
Hong Kong, most defintely. I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Miami?!? LOL

Old 12-19-2008, 02:52 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Neither. I lived in HK already and Miami holds zero interest for me. If money was no object, I'd go with Singapore.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:03 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,349 times
Ive lived in both. I left Hong Kong for Miami. Get past the skyscrapers, and hong kong is a glorified ancient village of racist people. Never again.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:33 AM

339 posts, read 1,168,944 times
That's a strange choice for comparison. Two cities that really have NOTHING in common. Hot and humid in summer, I'll give you that. As for skylines, Miami's skyline is pretty ho-hum compared with HK which is a dramatic vertical city. The demographic make-up and 'mind-sets' of the cities couldn't be more different (i.e. HK is chinese and Miami a mixture of white, hispanic & african american) and I think that has a bigger impact on similarities (or lack thereof) than any geographical feature.

I'd chose HK, mainly because of the lifestyle we can have here which we couldn't have in any US city. Also, there is almost no crime here. And I would never live anywhere that had hurricanes. Typhoons, OK. Hurricanes, uh uh.

I don't know what sort of experiences tropical87 had here with regards to racial prejudice, however I can confirm that HK is neither ancient nor a village! And it deserves to be glorified IMO.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:51 PM

214 posts, read 1,004,990 times
Miami really isn't in the same league as Hong Kong. Hong Kong is almost at par with global cities like New York, London, Paris, and Tokyo.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:57 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I'd take Miami, but hey.. who knows where I'll be living in a few years

Old 12-23-2008, 06:47 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
That's a strange choice for comparison. Two cities that really have NOTHING in common. Hot and humid in summer, I'll give you that. As for skylines, Miami's skyline is pretty ho-hum compared with HK which is a dramatic vertical city. The demographic make-up and 'mind-sets' of the cities couldn't be more different (i.e. HK is chinese and Miami a mixture of white, hispanic & african american) and I think that has a bigger impact on similarities (or lack thereof) than any geographical feature.

I'd chose HK, mainly because of the lifestyle we can have here which we couldn't have in any US city. Also, there is almost no crime here. And I would never live anywhere that had hurricanes. Typhoons, OK. Hurricanes, uh uh.

I don't know what sort of experiences tropical87 had here with regards to racial prejudice, however I can confirm that HK is neither ancient nor a village! And it deserves to be glorified IMO.
Unless you speak Chinese and intergrate you'll never see the real side of HK. Racist labels given to everyone not HongKong Chinese (even mainlanders from China) White people = devils, black people = black devils, NO anti-discrimination laws against sexuality/race in HK, Hong-Born indians not given opportunities for not being Chinese, lack of variety, terrible pollution,the list goes on.

Great for a holiday, helll on earth to live

Old 12-23-2008, 04:29 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
Hawaii would be somewhere in between the two. Take Hawaii anyday over HK or Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia