Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 02:27 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

SANYA, China, Dec. 27 (UPI) -- A new era of naval history has been launched with China sending warships outside its territorial waters for the first time in centuries, officials said.

Three ships set sail from Sanya in Hainan province Friday, bound for the Gulf of Aden to defend Chinese vessels in danger from pirates based in Somalia, the first time in more than 500 years that China has sent military ships so far afield, The Times of London reported.

China deploys anti-pirate warships - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
Don't be surprised if the pirates are captured, China could possibly execute them asap.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 PM

195 posts, read 741,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
Don't be surprised if the pirates are captured, China could possibly execute them asap.
Why would they do that?
Do you have enough evidence to support your statement?
I think the Chinese are more concerning about the U.S. federal deficits than any other things on Earth! After all, they have loaned us more than $630 billions and they might never get it back! Currently, the U.S. is facing $11 trillion dollars deficits and Obama will add another trillion dollars. That will be about the same size the U.S. economy!!! I am worried!!!!!! Still worry!!!!!!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 12:15 PM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
Why would they do that?
Do you have enough evidence to support your statement?
I think the Chinese are more concerning about the U.S. federal deficits than any other things on Earth! After all, they have loaned us more than $630 billions and they might never get it back! Currently, the U.S. is facing $11 trillion dollars deficits and Obama will add another trillion dollars. That will be about the same size the U.S. economy!!! I am worried!!!!!! Still worry!!!!!!!!
Just knowing how the Chinese deal with crime, i wouldn't be surprised if they killed those pirates. As far as the deficit, that is another subject.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,237 times
Quote:
Just knowing how the Chinese deal with crime, i wouldn't be surprised if they killed those pirates. As far as the deficit, that is another subject.
Highest number of executions is China 1000/yr, highest number per capita is Singapore 40/yr (really clean organized country, but supposedly founded by pirates). ARRRRR!!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:28 PM

195 posts, read 741,441 times
Quote:
Inside China, you might be right. They can't do that in the international water! Many countries are watching! Have you ever heard someone was executed by the Chinese military outside China? Sometimes it is nice to pay attention to current affairs...not out-of-dated affairs!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 PM
JL

Quote:
Inside China, you might be right. They can't do that in the international water! Many countries are watching! Have you ever heard someone was executed by the Chinese military outside China? Sometimes it is nice to pay attention to current affairs...not out-of-dated affairs!
That's possible what you mentioned, but i wouldn't be surprised if they did cause if they're protecting their merchant ships, they will do what is necessary even if other countries are watching. You should know that China doesn't quite bow to international pressure and even more so in this situation.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:19 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,864 times
Quote:
I am thinking there could come a time they could do anything they wanted. If we didn't like it, they could call in the massive debt we owe them and have our hand out constantly for more money. If the one with the most money wins - the US is running the wrong direction.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:48 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Do you really expect an international outcry if a bunch of pirates are found dead at the hands of the Chinese? Actually the sad thing is that may upset the U.S. government. Any government with the balls to execute these pirates has my respect. There's only two ways of stopping this piracy without spending a bunch of money by stationing a fleet in the area: making it uneconomical for the pirates and making it more deadly for them.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:15 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I think China may be doing quite a few things in international waters that the general public isn't aware of.

That being said
Quote:
More than a dozen warships are now patrolling between the shores of Yemen and Somalia to try to protect commercial vessels in the key waterway, which links the Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea to the Indian Ocean. Countries as diverse as Britain, India, Iran, the United States, China, France and Germany have naval forces in the waters.
from this link: Crew fight off pirates with water jets off Somalia - International Herald Tribune

........apparently many countries have felt the need to patrol these waters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia