U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Las Vegas or Dubai
Las Vegas 68 44.44%
Dubai 43 28.10%
None of the above 42 27.45%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:16 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,726,252 times

Advertisements

Dubai puts Vegas to shame.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-30-2008 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: troll removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 08:24 AM

7,288 posts, read 13,518,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I know, I bet you guys are tired of these kind of threads. However, it's interesting to know you guy's opinions.

Anyway, which city would you live in??

Las Vegas

Dubai
Vegas. I'm hoping to see Dubai in the next year or two, but the laws are a little too strict. I'll take the US.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,655,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Vegas. Dubai might be a great city, but at the end of the day, you're still stuck on the Arabian Peninsula (especially considering many of those countries don't think highly of Americans). At least Vegas is close to the scenic beauty if North America.
My exact thought. If the question was where would I like to travel to and attend a blowout bachelor party...the answer is Dubai. But living there for the rest of my days?!?!? No thanks. From Vegas, you can travel by car and visit the many national parks in California, Utah, and Arizona. From Dubai, you can visit Oman, Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Yemen. Oh yeah, and for hearty travelers, Iraq is not much further of a trip than Yemen. Allah Akbar!!!

Old 12-29-2008, 10:28 AM

3,436 posts, read 5,989,677 times
Nice thread. Both cities in the Desert.
BOOOOOOMING too!

Butttttttttttt......DUBAI WINS! I mean compare!!

Old 12-29-2008, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 8,224 times
Default Dubai bound in three weeks... from Vegas

Yeah I am going to Dubai in three weeks for a 12 month contract. I guess I'll let you know how it is.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:26 AM

6,490 posts, read 16,176,041 times
I've been to Dubai, but never to Vegas. I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever want to move to Dubai. You really don't have the same kinds of freedoms there that you enjoy in the U.S. It's not the fantasyland paradise some people here seem to imagine. The shiny buildings are all under construction (built using slave labor, btw) and located in a line along an expressway, and next to some of the most horrific slums you could imagine. It's hot. Very hot. The traffic is horrible, and you must wash your car every day because the sand sticks to it so. And it is an Islamic country, so if premarital sex, alcohol, food (during ramadan), drugs, any non-Islamic religion, homosexuality, the internet un-censored, freedom of speech, or representative government are things you're into, you're not going to enjoy yourself. One breakthrough, the government did recently allow residents to begin using facebook! Yay!

Man-made islands and indoor ski slopes? Hell, we have those in Jersey!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:35 AM

1,990 posts, read 6,979,177 times
After thinking long and hard, I will choose neither. Dubai and Vegas are nice, but at the end of the day, they're in the dessert. I'm a man, not a damn cactus.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,224 times
Here is a better question.

Would you move to Dubai for one year if it meant...?

- You could pay off all your debts.
- You would still have money left over to live and invest. You know... so you can relax a bit.
- Getting paid to travel around the world, just once... 12 months.
- That your resume experience is now on a global scale. And I'm not talking bed maids here, I'm talking architecture.
- If the whole 12 months was covered, even the car.
- You were given incentives and bonuses out the)( bum.
- You would have a contact list that now spans internationally.

Would you do it?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:43 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,219,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobstar2012 View Post
Here is a better question.

Would you move to Dubai for one year if it meant...?

- You could pay off all your debts.
- You would still have money left over to live and invest. You know... so you can relax a bit.
- Getting paid to travel around the world, just once... 12 months.
- That your resume experience is now on a global scale. And I'm not talking bed maids here, I'm talking architecture.
- If the whole 12 months was covered, even the car.
- You were given incentives and bonuses out the)( bum.
- You would have a contact list that now spans internationally.

Would you do it?
Of course, what some of us are referring to, I believe, is that we would not make Dubai our homes. I would live there for a given period of time if I had a lucritive purpose, I suppose.

Good Luck by the way, I would love to see the place myself. Al Burj, or whatever it's called, should be done by the time you get there. I'm sure that's a must see.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:43 PM

769 posts, read 2,012,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Vegas. Dubai might be a great city, but at the end of the day, you're still stuck on the Arabian Peninsula (especially considering many of those countries don't think highly of Americans). At least Vegas is close to the scenic beauty if North America.
Oh yeah, I definitely agree here. Even if Vegas sucks I can always take trips out of there to another place to the U.S. Dubai is isolated and outside Dubai is the strict Muslim law and a bunch of women walking around with bedsheets all over them. Nah. Vegas it is, baby!

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-30-2008 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: orphaned material removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia