Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Las Vegas or Dubai
Las Vegas 76 46.91%
Dubai 44 27.16%
None of the above 42 25.93%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 12:46 PM

440 posts, read 661,822 times

Advertisements

None of both for living.

Maybe feel new and fun when first visiting.

Both cities are near deserts and are boring for long-term residents.

The 2 cities should not be paried together. They differ greatly in industries and laws.

Similar to Macau, LV is a sin city.

Last edited by lokeung); 06-24-2015 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 12:48 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy1 View Post
Vegas, duh. I wouldn't want to be locked up indefinitely in Dubai for having sex outside of marriage.
You won't get more than 1 year for that - and only if your reported (you better make her happy).

Old 06-24-2015, 12:53 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Not Dubai. You cant even walk around outside for half of the year because it's too hot. At least in Las Vegas, it's dry heat.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 3,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
dubai BY FAR.

yes, the laws might be a little strict, but ill just do my best to refrain from having sex in public and ill be alright. dubai isnt as strit as other arabic countries.

everyone choosing las vegas must be out of their freaking mind..
No you're out of YOUR mind lol.. Who would want to go to a place where you can be arrested just for dancing outdoors lol.. it's freakin stupid lol.. Plus you're technically in a third world country but in a rich city of just millionares/billionares who have third world mindset anyway. Dubai's terrain is UGLY. what's to do there? Just go to resort Hotels, shopping centers, a fake beach, cuisines you can find in any American City, very ugly people compared to Vegas. I would even take a Latin American city anyday like Panama City, Medellin, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro or Cancun over Dubai.
Vegas is in the US. yes its desert but there's mountains at least around and LA is somewhat close a few hours away. MUCH better entertainment in Las Vegas. People might get tired of it after a few years but that's why they always renovate the city with newer amenities. In Addition there's lots of places in the US to visit like Miami Beach area, Los Angeles, New York City, Chicago, Seattle to name a few with fantastic things to do and each city is different from one another.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:31 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Vegas. Real personal freedom (which is a much bigger deal when you've lived somewhere for some time where it's limited), a few hours drive or an hour's flight to one of the #2 city in the US and a global alpha grade city where I have deep personal ties, a more varied geography, etc.

Dubai is still cool and it's on my radar for business opportunities, but i would prefer to choose a place where I can touch my wife's butt in public and am not restricted to second class citizen ststus regardless of my income.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:26 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
A rape case exposes Dubai's dark side and injustice | Ya Libnan | Lebanon News Live from Beirut

A British tourist was beaten to death by officers in a Dubai police station after being arrested for swearing, it was claimed yesterday.
Welcome frugal-cafe.com - BlueHost.com

Because of strict Muslim laws, visitors to the region could find themselves in trouble over drinking alcohol, sharing a hotel room when unmarried and even holding hands
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...ing-hands.html

Live and let live is mostly my motto in life, but I also don't put myself in harm's way. I would not visit a Muslim country if I had the choice. They are just too backwards. The glitz of Dubai is another case of putting lipstick on a pig, in my book.
Well, you can drink alcohol however it is only in certain hotels. It is very common for unmarried couples to travel to Dubai and it is quite rare if they are foreigners that they are arrested, even gay ones too. Recently the Pope visited there and over 100 000 saw him preach there it is the first timehttps://www.timeoutdubai.com/gallery...s?page=3&img=3 a Pope has ever been there. There is a synagogue there, Hindu temples, churches, Buddhist temple there too. Of course you may find Dubai very restrictive, however, it is quite liberal for a Middle Eastern Muslim country.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:44 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy1 View Post
Vegas, duh. I wouldn't want to be locked up indefinitely in Dubai for having sex outside of marriage.
This is 11 years old, I don't think that's true anymore.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:13 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times
I’m gay, so Dubai is probably not the best place for me.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:23 PM

397 posts, read 318,988 times
Dubai is much more impressive and opulent. Vegas is great for gambling and restaurants. Vegas is more dangerous. Sharia is a potential problem in Dubai but should be fairly easily avoided. In terms of weather, Dubai has incredible winter weather, similar to South Florida, but even drier and less prone to cold fronts. In the summer, Dubai is oppressive with Vegas-type temperatures but much more humidity.

I'd say both are worth visiting at least once for the experience. If you have to choose, it depends on what your personal preferences are. If you particularly enjoy drinking and gambling, Vegas is for you. If you're looking for a place where you can go to the beach AND ski in the same day (albeit indoors), Dubai is for you. Both have high-end shopping, but I would say Dubai even more so. Apples and oranges.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Can't believe who is winning the poll! I would bet tons of money everything in my savings that Dubai UAE is at stage first without any hesitation!? Trying to figure out legitimate excuses or reasoning to what is right in the exact picture standpoint logic frame. Is that related to progressive or conservative views? I am glad I am neutral independent, so I don't really have to worry. Not a justification to go against a really cool city in a very foreign exotic region. Just a light fan of Las Vegas for me. Kind of boring after a while at the overly narrow window. A bit too overly suburban. Very limiting compared to the infinite variety I have with International countries living or traveling. And to learn Travel Guru Worldliness. Starting that in my own low 20's. Seeing how far I am able to enter before wanting to stop. Probably never. Always very exciting with what I am encountering recently. With this example, I went to Doha Qatar. Not even that one is identical to Dubai. Endlessly unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia