U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Singapore, Hong Kong, or Shanghai?
Singapore 12 21.43%
Hong Kong 33 58.93%
Shanghai 11 19.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 884 times

Advertisements

Hong Kong is 75% nature with (free) pools overlooking mountains and cliffs from which one can dive into the heart of beautiful nature. Hong Kong is 75% unexplored nature and 25% futuristic city more well developed than France's La Defénse and Toronto's Harbour Front. Light shows coordinated by iconic buildings light up the skyline every night at 8pm as the largest light show in the world. Michelin-rated and cheap Dim-Sum restaurants will surprise your taste buds in the most unexpected ways. Famous mountain hiking trails and hidden waterfalls make this city the most beautiful city I've seen in all of Asia.
All three are nice, but Hong Kong tops it off as a futuristic city that's still well integrated with nature. Go to the roofs of random buildings. Be surprised by the roof-top bars, gardens, pools, golf courses. No city uses rooftop space as well as HK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 09:16 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Depends on how long your stay is, your budget and your purpose. I would say Shanghai, just because you can easily visit the neighboring cities such as Suzhou, Hangzhou and Nanjing; it has cheaper accommodations; and one can visit other parts of China without immigration hassles. More difficult to go around knowing only English, but the advantage is that there are no border formalities.

Hong Kong is very nice, but its drawback is it is expensive. While there are unique things to explore for a few days up to a week, but unless you are staying with family or friends for free or little cost, I wouldn't recommend staying there for more than that. Most people do not need visas to go to Macau, but most will need a visa just to cross the border to Guangdong. Getting a multiple entry visa can be a hassle and expensive, and each border crossing takes some time.

It's "summer" in Singapore pretty much year-round. Like HK, it is also expensive to stay long-term. I find Singapore pretty dull, Macau and Guangdong are still better places to visit than any neighboring area of Malaysia or Indonesia that are a short car/train/ferry ride from Singapore. IMO, Johor Bahru has to be one of the world's most boring cities. Unless you plan to explore Southeast Asia with Singapore as the main hub for short plane rides, I wouldn't recommend staying in Singapore more than a few days.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:12 PM

2,897 posts, read 5,276,609 times
taipei

far more hip and fun

Old 05-11-2015, 12:03 AM

4 posts, read 3,988 times
i vote singapore

Old 05-11-2015, 01:11 AM

23 posts, read 17,531 times
Hong Kong is my favorite place and Singapore is second. I haven't been to Shanghai but we will visit it hopefully before the end of the year.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:04 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
taipei

far more hip and fun
Hip? Really?

Old 05-11-2015, 09:06 AM

46 posts, read 26,534 times
Hong Kong is my favorite vacation destination.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:25 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Hip? Really?
Sure, Taipei is hip. Where else can you find a restaurant use poop as decoration and have customers drink out of urinals? OK, they're glasses shaped like urinals... but at least people have a sense of humor for the restaurant to be still in business.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:44 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,041,157 times
Hong Kong, because it is so cosmopolitan and I could easily visit other islands and also take KCR into China if needed.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:14 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,599,126 times
If it is for a whole summer (3 months), probably Shanghai has more to offer than the other two.
Shanghai is much larger than Hong Kong and Singapore, and is close to many other interesting cities such as Hangzhou, Suzhou, Nanjing...

All the three cities are usually very hot and humid, but there is a small chance that you encounter a cool summer in Shanghai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or