Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:01 PM

21 posts, read 105,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Well, regardless of what the people think, most mid-east these countries are a part of Asia. But, as we agree, when it comes to talking about people, "Asians" are different than "middle easteners" and so on and that is not helpful in classifications.

Then again, that depends on where you're from, and what the majority "asian" population is comprised of. For example, "asian" in the UK refers to a people quite different than what "asian" in the US refers to.

In the UK, "asian" means Sr Lankan/Indian/Pakistani etc. In the US, it means Chinese/Korean/Japanese etc.

But the fact is they're all asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 04:18 AM

243 posts, read 703,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk00 View Post
Then again, that depends on where you're from, and what the majority "asian" population is comprised of. For example, "asian" in the UK refers to a people quite different than what "asian" in the US refers to.

In the UK, "asian" means Sr Lankan/Indian/Pakistani etc. In the US, it means Chinese/Korean/Japanese etc.

But the fact is they're all asians.

scandinavia seems to have similar oppinions as Americans here.

if we talk about indian or pakistani we say inian and pakistani. (uhm wel sumtime some bad words for them tho)

but when we talk about thay, filippines, wietnam, china and so its asians

Old 04-15-2009, 05:41 PM

8 posts, read 34,049 times
I live in bangkok, thailand. I've been here for 10 years now. overall, best deal around. they have over 30 shopping malls in a 3 mile radius. apartments that rent for about 200 dollars a month. and places to eat that will cost you only 1 dollar.

of course, it's not all roses. you have a language barrier to overcome, and there is smog here. I've visited most places on this side of asia. but like anywhere, over time you may get tired of the place. I lived in san francisco for 20 years before I came over here. need I say more?

I'm actually considering 6 months in the usa, and 6 months in bangkok, thailand now. when it's hot in thailand, go to usa. and vice versa. be a bird. fly south for the winter.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:43 PM

5 posts, read 20,699 times
Gerogia really you never hearn about them

Old 04-17-2009, 09:01 PM

6 posts, read 18,382 times
Default Philippines

My wife is from Philippines. we own retirement home there that was hit by 100 year flood last june 21. Great Medical care in the larger city Hospitals.Had 2 in patient stays at Doctors Iloilo City Hospital in 2005. Care was excellent .We should have built retirement home closer to malls and medical care rather than rural area.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:42 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I"ve lived in Asia for the majority of the time since 1996 with some excursions.

Basically living in Japan, also lived in South Korea, and took many trips which included China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Mongolia, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Nepal. Many of those trips have been taken multiples of times.

They ALL have good and bad, and I know who people who LOVE one or another over others for various reasons.

For me, I've always been a fan of the Philippines...because of their passion for music and musicians...and I love islands...and the Philippines has over 7000+ islands...and I love island-hopping. Plus as most people speak English, I can almost always communicate with people no matter how out of the way I get.

That being said, for someone wanting 'exotic Asia'...then they'd be more interested in anywhere else...as the Philippines has a lot of AMerican and Spanish influence. There is also a strong Asia feel to, but not drastically different culture like other places, that is equally very interesting on another level.

As I've been living in Asia for quite awhile and been around all of the many countries many times...I've already went through the 'wow, this is so cool and differnent' until it became way too familiar and normal. So seeing a temple in Thailand for example doesn't hold much interest anymore.

But for someone who has never been to Asia, I'd recommend Thailand as a good interesting start, and just go from there, as its inexpensive enough and has great travel deals going everywhere else from there.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:57 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
The OP's list left off Malaysia, which may be the best option for living in SE Asia. It has a more stable government than Thailand's, gives expats the ability to own real estate in their own names, has a low population (26 million) relative to its neighbors, has English widely-used, and tends to have a slightly higher general standard of living relative to its neighbors. Only Singapore comes out higher on the scale but Singapore is small (a few square miles), crowded (2.5 million), and very expensive.

I spent one year in China, and now have been in Malaysia for 13 years. I bought a house three years ago for only US$43k, which is close to the beach, the city's main park, and the city center. I would be hard-pressed to find a better overall place for my retirement although I am sure there are some nice places in the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, and Laos. But the overall package may be hard to beat.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-18-2009 at 08:56 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 02:05 PM

122 posts, read 381,723 times
I hate India (and I'm Indian). Overpopulation, poverty, racism, pollution, crime (some cities), and rudeness just don't appeal to me.

Japan is probably my favorite.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:02 AM

236 posts, read 386,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Some people would call it "Western Asia" but general it's considered the "Middle East" which is thought of as seperate. Smart guy.

Seriously. Most people do not consider countries like Saudi, Iran, Iraq, etc. as Asian countries. They consider them Middle Eastern and generally they are considered as a totally seperate region of the world.

But this is all just subjective classifications anyway.
Dear FunkyMonk, Asia is ASIA and it doesn't need any classification. Middle East is region of Asia, not separate continent. Maybe most people in your village do not consider countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, etc. as Asian countries, but it is a fact that those countries are in Asian continent. Don't mislead people.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:35 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Well, regardless of what the people think, most mid-east these countries are a part of Asia. But, as we agree, when it comes to talking about people, "Asians" are different than "middle easteners" and so on and that is not helpful in classifications.

Actually funkymonky in alot of parts of the world "arabs" are considered Asian.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-24-2009 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: leave out the personal comments, please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia