Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:48 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,072 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My boyfriend was just stationed in Japan, and since I plan on going to see him sometime soon and I know very little about it, I'd like to ask for the Do's and Don'ts for when I make the trip.

What are common mistakes that travelers make when visiting this country?
What's the climate like, and are there any areas/situations to avoid or be wary of?

Any information would be very, very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,331,999 times
do not wear anything provocative eventhough you are visiting your BF

Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
do not wear anything provocative eventhough you are visiting your BF
LOL How about jeans and a baggy old t-shirt? Thats as dressed up as Im getting for an 18-hour flight. lol

Old 01-22-2009, 11:05 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,307 times
they are used to tourists so there is nothing drastic you need to be reminded of. of course, if you go into a japanese house and some sit-down restaurants, you must take off your shoes but you'll be reminded if you forget anyways. no big deal. simple etiquette stuff, if you want to bow you can if they bow etc. you might get stared at by some but then you might also get the occasional person wanting to speak english with you etc.

climate is mild as it's a subtropical island. winters are not that cold. everything is a lot more expensive compared to south carolina but you can find things at decent prices if you know what shops to go to and sales etc. also, they have all the western amenities and fast-food joints like kfc, subway and mcdonalds etc.

subways are very affordable and efficient and all the signs are in english too so it's easy to get around, if you have a problem, the attendants on duty usually speak english too. also, if you are planning on doing a lot of sight-seeing, an english-japanese dictionary could help you out.

also, i never needed to exchange the currency. i just used my debit or credit card at the atm in the subways (which are everywhere-also in corner stores to sidewalks) and it automatically converted the money into yen.

if you are just going for a visit, it's very easy except for the language barrier of course.

Last edited by leaana; 01-22-2009 at 11:35 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 11:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
I think I offended the cashier at a restaurant at Tokyo airport by indicating she should keep the change.

Not sure if that's customary with you or not but I was exhausted and just flying back from American where I'd struggled for weeks to remember to tip because it's not customary here in Australia and yeah, when I gave her the money for the bill and said keep the change she seemed very upset. So it might be worth finding out what the custom is regarding tipping in Japan in case it's different to what you're familiar with.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,307 times
the three things i liked about japan were the internet cafes which are amazing. they have some with showers and private booths to sleep in and they are luxurious with all you can drink machines from coffee, tea, soda, juices and sometimes even broth. there is media galore to check out if you want too. a lot of people after a night of partying just end up sleeping at the internet cafe before the trains run again in the morning.

also, in tokyo it is safe to walk at night even as a female and i absolutely loved, loved, loved the drinking machines they had everywhere with such nice selections. i really like asians drinks as they are more refreshing and better for your health, no high fructose corn syrup and wider selections. it's nice to be walking down the street and have vending machines the whole way to refresh you. i like the convenience.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:57 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I think I offended the cashier at a restaurant at Tokyo airport by indicating she should keep the change.
You pretty much have to almost force them to accept a tip. Its just not part of there culture to tip.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxscott09 View Post
You pretty much have to almost force them to accept a tip. Its just not part of there culture to tip.
Yeah, I figured as much when she handed me the change, shaking her head when I said to keep it, and then when I smiled and went to give it back to her, no go.

I just thanked her for the meal and wished her a good day then. Figured it would be rude to insist she take it.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:12 PM

Oh good! It doesnt sound as if it will be as difficult as I thought. Im going to try to learn a little bit of Japanese before I go...but Id be afraid to try and speak it for fear of mis-pronouncing something and offending someone.

I hope some of the signs in the airports are in English. I saw that on alot of flights to Japan, there is a stopover in Seoul, South Korea.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:30 AM

Well I'm no expert on the airport. I've only been to Tokyo once but it wasn't difficult to get around. So I suspect that there must have been a fair bit of information in English. I say suspect because I was so tired I really can't remember that well. But I was there for about 5 hours I think and I managed to eat, do some shopping, transfer from one terminal to another in the "bus" (this is really more of a train like at Seattle airport, if you know it?), find the toilets and the smoking room, log in at an internet cafe and get on my connecting flight all without feeling too much like I had to think. Reckon you'll be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia