Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 01:08 PM

87 posts, read 388,260 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning a trip to china, and was wondering if anyone had experianced buying a sim card so ill be able to have phone service there. from what I'm seeing I would have to pay for incoming calls(majority of the calls, I will be recieving). Has anyone seen or used sim cards that have no incoming call fee. I am going to beijing and Shanghai.

Thank you in advance,

Lenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 04:19 PM

351 posts, read 1,873,624 times
My recent experience in Pakistan found that all incoming calls were fee-free. Each network will have its own policy, but you'll find that if you're making local calls, buying a local sim card (assuming your phone is a GSM one and you can use a sim card... if not, pick up a $40 cheap one for the duration) with prepaid credits will serve you well. Much cheaper than international calls, especially if your cell phone is US-based, with all sorts of charges.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 AM

6 posts, read 20,354 times
Incomming calls are generally free in most countries - except the USA of course! you should choose your sim card based on whether you will be calling home much or if you will be mainly making local calls. If you will need a sim for making local calls then just buy a SIM when you get to China from a local provider. If you reckon you will be calling friends and family at home quite often then you probably are best to just get an international SIM from a company like GoSIM.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:47 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTicker View Post
Incomming calls are generally free in most countries - except the USA of course! you should choose your sim card based on whether you will be calling home much or if you will be mainly making local calls. If you will need a sim for making local calls then just buy a SIM when you get to China from a local provider.
Not possible in 2009, or at least not worth the trouble, not sure if possible now. Google it. Because they are afraid of their people and revolution, the government tightly regulates the use of cell phones in China and local providers will not sell to foreigners without fixed addresses. If you are travelling on business the company you are meeting in China may be able to provide you with a phone.

Quote:
If you reckon you will be calling friends and family at home quite often then you probably are best to just get an international SIM from a company like GoSIM.
Do this and save yourself a lot of hassle.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Not possible in 2009, or at least not worth the trouble, not sure if possible now. Google it. Because they are afraid of their people and revolution, the government tightly regulates the use of cell phones in China and local providers will not sell to foreigners without fixed addresses. If you are travelling on business the company you are meeting in China may be able to provide you with a phone.
When I was in China, my employer loaned my colleagues and I simple cellphones with local prepaid simcards from China Mobile. I know that one my colleagues put her Chinese simcard in her American T-Mobile Blackberry to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia