U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 PM

2,449 posts, read 4,812,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
give me a break. i didn't start out seething or angry and i don't roam small rural towns.

excuse me that i have to drive through those areas to get to point a to point b and may stop at a restaurant or establishment. as an example, we had to stop at palatka driving from gainesville to st augustine. palatka was definitely more prejudiced than either of them. even my partner mentioned the unfriendly stares and vibes toward us. maybe you'd like me to pretend it isn't so or maybe you like to call purple green and vice versa. LMAO.

it doesn't take a genius to figure out whether the "likes" of you are wanted or not by the general populace.

stop pretending and feigning prejudice doesn't exist. geez..
I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that Asians in small towns were mean. I thought that was a strange statement. Indeed it was, and one you didn't make!
I do think maybe you are a bit sensitive tho. I have found just as often the opposite to be true, an added interest. I'd say you are just as guilty of the prejudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 04:23 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,791,732 times
Perhaps Latin America? Avoid Mexico at the moment - too much violence. Many latinos I know admire Chinese people for their culture and will ask questions based on looks.

I second the post that the USA and Canada won't find a Chinese person curious and ask questions. I question whether they are portrayed as effeminate ... if anything the mainstream makes them all look cool and know kung fu! (Of course they do not but that's hwo the media portrays them).

Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 PM

812 posts, read 2,115,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that Asians in small towns were mean. I thought that was a strange statement. Indeed it was, and one you didn't make!
I do think maybe you are a bit sensitive tho. I have found just as often the opposite to be true, an added interest. I'd say you are just as guilty of the prejudice.

no, i am not "just" as guilty of the prejudice. i do not give unfriendly stares to people, i do not care who goes in what establishments, i do not make racial slurs or make fun of others behind their back or have anything negative to say just for existing! meaning i do not take unfair bigoted liberties and jabs at others .

there are those who are proactive in their prejudice. i only react when i've been mistreated. i've been around people who were prejudiced and would make very racist derogatory evaluations just for 'fun' and casual passive conversation probably thinking they are not in mixed company or weren't overheard. i am not one of those people.

it's a shame when people are lumped in with the guilty. and another thing, that is so very typical and common.

those people sit back and get away with it. it reminds me of the girl in school who would pinch me in class and when i yelled out, the teacher would blame me.

it's interesting when i have my guard down and more open and down to earth and unassuming that i get that treatment more, but when i have that steel wall up and a less vulnerable demeanor, i'm treated more respectfully. i guess people take kindness for weakness!!

go away, useless troll

Last edited by leaana; 03-01-2009 at 11:40 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 11:43 PM

812 posts, read 2,115,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Perhaps Latin America? Avoid Mexico at the moment - too much violence. Many latinos I know admire Chinese people for their culture and will ask questions based on looks.

I second the post that the USA and Canada won't find a Chinese person curious and ask questions. I question whether they are portrayed as effeminate ... if anything the mainstream makes them all look cool and know kung fu! (Of course they do not but that's hwo the media portrays them).
you're right, they don't. and when they ask where you are from, it's done in the crassest and rudest fashion. it's unbelievable.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 AM

22,135 posts, read 23,648,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
you're right, they don't. and when they ask where you are from, it's done in the crassest and rudest fashion. it's unbelievable.
Well, I've had a few good experiences in parts of the US (I was raised in socal) regarding being asian, though most of it revolves around how to use chopsticks, buddha, or kung fu. Oh, and people love it when I write their names out in Chinese (phonetically).

Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 AM

702 posts, read 2,796,898 times
Tunisia for one. No asians there at all and you will be considered very exotic with lots of stares.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

we're a long way since Bruce Lee. Think Long Duc Dong. The media has yet to shake off the view of the nerdy, sexless (or horny in a dorky manner) male Asian.
Female Asians are often portrayed as dorks along the same vein, or alternately as sluts or "dragonladies".

However, I restate, in parts of the rural US you will be a curiousity. Anyone who disagrees has never been an Asian in, say, rural Tennessee.
And ignore talk of hateful stares. I don't think that to be common. Given that the pervasive streotype is what I mentioned above, people will just assume you're good at math and shy.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, I've had a few good experiences in parts of the US (I was raised in socal) regarding being asian, though most of it revolves around how to use chopsticks, buddha, or kung fu. Oh, and people love it when I write their names out in Chinese (phonetically).
believe this one. S/he's much more in line with my and moany others experiences. I was raised in California as well, where half my school was Asian. But I have lived in the Southeast for a few years, and in some places there is actually a curiosity. But as I said, in the US too much overt curiousity is seen as offensive, unlike many other parts of the world (especially east Asia), so other countries may satistify this much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or