U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:33 PM

22,101 posts, read 23,627,108 times

Advertisements

I'm asking a rather odd question, so I should explain.

When I was living in Taiwan, I went out a lot with other expats who were mostly Caucasian or East Asians from Western countries, and it always seemed to me that Taiwanese people, especially younger people, were especially keen on meeting with and befriending Caucasians rather than those of us (including me) who didn't look quite as exotic there. I also felt this way when I went to the Philippines with a friend, and I have heard similar opinions from other people, so I assume it might be the same in a lot of other East and Southeast Asian countries.

Sure, objectifying people (if that's what it was) is a bit rude and all and could be a double-edged blade, but it seemed like my friends enjoyed it to a pretty good degree--so, back to my question. Does anyone know a country where an East Asian/Chinese person could possibly get this same kind of treatment/objectification?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 06:50 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,135,828 times
North America is pretty much used to any form and shape of people, and even if you can find a 99% homogenious white town, your being Chinese won't result in gawking or advances. I find that North Americans are not as admiration-prone anyways, as people in the East or Africa.

Arab countries would be a place where you being different would arouse curiosity and special attention.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:18 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,455,420 times
Not in the middle east.. many asians as tourists, residents or business men... you would not arouse curiosity.. perhaps north of the arctic circle?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:33 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,135,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Not in the middle east.. many asians as tourists, residents or business men... you would not arouse curiosity.. perhaps north of the arctic circle?
.. as in curiosity among polar bears ?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
.. as in curiosity among polar bears ?
Inuits look like Chinese anyway lol

Old 02-25-2009, 05:01 PM

2,449 posts, read 4,810,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
North America is pretty much used to any form and shape of people, and even if you can find a 99% homogenious white town, your being Chinese won't result in gawking or advances. I find that North Americans are not as admiration-prone anyways, as people in the East or Africa.

Arab countries would be a place where you being different would arouse curiosity and special attention.
Wrong. If you go far out to areas not used to recent immigration, there will be a strong curiosity towards a Chinese person. I've met people that didn't even know different East Asians spoke different languages. They will act as if a Chinese person is a rare find and not from the most populous country on Earth. There will be curious looks and sometimes an interest in starting up a conversation.
Of course, this is nothing compared to if you have a white person go to the countryside of China. Chinese culture is just more accepting at gawking. Direct staring is not seen as unnacceptable. Sit a white person in the middle of a city in central China and a crowd 30 people thick may form and ask any Chinese-looking companions to answer and translate any number of questions.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 PM

812 posts, read 2,114,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Wrong. If you go far out to areas not used to recent immigration, there will be a strong curiosity towards a Chinese person. I've met people that didn't even know different East Asians spoke different languages. They will act as if a Chinese person is a rare find and not from the most populous country on Earth. There will be curious looks and sometimes an interest in starting up a conversation.
Of course, this is nothing compared to if you have a white person go to the countryside of China. Chinese culture is just more accepting at gawking. Direct staring is not seen as unnacceptable. Sit a white person in the middle of a city in central China and a crowd 30 people thick may form and ask any Chinese-looking companions to answer and translate any number of questions.
well, it may seem unfair but i've noticed that asians are more quizzical about strangers especially caucasians than the other way around, whether they are gawking at all. whereas, when i happen to be in a small, rural, mostly white town they give cold and quiet looks in america. it's a lot meaner, you can feel often the malicious dislike pervading underneath.

i was just at shepherds restaurant in clearwater beach and the unfriendly but subdued stares were palpable. but at the same time, it wasn't that surprising as it is a restaurant that has mostly white patrons. it's that unspoken area of territorial behavior. we and they know the laws but there are those who don't want to frequent areas that have those that are not like them and are kind of upset when it happens. i didn't realize what kind of restaurant it was until i got there but you can quickly tell by the clientele and area. it was very "white" if you know what i mean.

in regards to the op, france might be the place. many of them view asian males as more sophisticated and not in a derogatory way as american mainstream views as effeminate and ugly.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:20 PM

2,449 posts, read 4,810,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
well, it may seem unfair but i've noticed that asians are more quizzical about strangers especially caucasians than the other way around, whether they are gawking at all. whereas, when i happen to be in a small, rural, mostly white town they give cold and quiet looks in america. it's a lot meaner, you can feel often the malicious dislike pervading underneath.

in regards to the op, france might be the place. many of them view asian males as more sophisticated and not in a derogatory way as american mainstream views as effeminate and ugly.
wow... seething angry asians roaming small rural towns. never heard that one.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:24 PM

812 posts, read 2,114,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
wow... seething angry asians roaming small rural towns. never heard that one.
give me a break. i didn't start out seething or angry and i don't roam small rural towns.

excuse me that i have to drive through those areas to get to point a to point b and may stop at a restaurant or establishment. as an example, we had to stop at palatka driving from gainesville to st augustine. palatka was definitely more prejudiced than either of them. even my partner mentioned the unfriendly stares and vibes toward us. maybe you'd like me to pretend it isn't so or maybe you like to call purple green and vice versa. LMAO.

it doesn't take a genius to figure out whether the "likes" of you are wanted or not by the general populace.

stop pretending and feigning prejudice doesn't exist. geez..

Old 02-25-2009, 08:09 PM

22,101 posts, read 23,627,108 times
France, eh? Thank goodness I speak French, though I've never been. I guess this is why I've met so many French people in New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or