U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:30 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,793,962 times

Advertisements

Here are some of my thoughts about Japan wrt your goals,

I agree with the above posts about not moving to Japan just for the food and girls. By using the same logic, one could conclude to move to Italy, or the USA. Personally ... and this is just me ... I prefer white women aesthetically- and I married a Japanese woman! Most Japanese women and Chinese women are smaller in frame and thus have smaller features. HOWEVER, there are ALWAYS exceptions (I dated a Chinese girl in college who was "busty" by any standards).

Looks aren't everything, and there's always someone for everyone. It just takes time

At any rate, it is extremely hard for foreigners to move to Japan - it is one of the most homogenous societies in the world. The young will be more tolerant to "gaijin" (outsiders) but I agree with the above post that if you go to Japan, especially outside of the tourist spots, people will look suspiciously at you. This is doubly true if you are male and openly admit you want "Japanese girls."

Japan is a cool place, don't get me wrong, and you'll find weirdos and idiots everywhere. If you are used to more open spaces, then moving to most Japanese cities will seem claustrophobic as everything is closer together (positively thinking - efficient with space). Many Japanese I know enjoy the more open American cities.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:26 PM

801 posts, read 1,948,355 times
If you're moving from Tulsa, you would have to get used to the lack of space (crowded living / working conditions), and a much much higher cost of living. Also, the people won't have guns like in Oklahoma, and won't care about God and football.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:39 PM

419 posts, read 1,162,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Dont move here for girls, that would be very stupid.

My question...Why Japan? There are hundreds of countries, why Japan?

Your "Ups" are that of a young mans fantasy, and will most likely disappoint you in reality.

The fantasy is easy a reality in tokyo... japanese girls love americans. Not for a relationship... but just for pickin em up.. its easyyy.

For a relationship their parents will prob look down on them getting serious with anyone who is not the same nationality.

Thats the other thing... you will be treated differently... thats not to say people wont like you when they get to know you... but you are pretty much... well inferior in their mind, and not in a racist way... just how japanese are raised, to believe japan is #1 in everything.

Also be prepared to give up big spaces.... you can get by and live comfortable if you don't try to live like an american. People also keep to themselves a lot...

The economy is down worse then the US, if you want a job there your best bet is to get one teaching english as there are companies that will pay you to move there and put you up in a place for a year....

Old 03-04-2009, 03:53 AM

895 posts, read 2,145,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
The fantasy is easy a reality in tokyo... japanese girls love americans. Not for a relationship... but just for pickin em up.. its easyyy.

For a relationship their parents will prob look down on them getting serious with anyone who is not the same nationality.

Thats the other thing... you will be treated differently... thats not to say people wont like you when they get to know you... but you are pretty much... well inferior in their mind, and not in a racist way... just how japanese are raised, to believe japan is #1 in everything.

Also be prepared to give up big spaces.... you can get by and live comfortable if you don't try to live like an american. People also keep to themselves a lot...

The economy is down worse then the US, if you want a job there your best bet is to get one teaching english as there are companies that will pay you to move there and put you up in a place for a year....
What you said is only true in certain parts of certain cities. If you go to tokyo it has 35 million people in it's metro, just because you can get some girls easy doesnt mean "japanese girls love americans". Alot of japanese girls don't like any foreigners. Obviously if you go to foreigner friendly places like roppongi hills, shinjuku etc you can probably find some of those girls easily, but the majority of japanese girls don't want anything to do with a foreigner.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:15 AM

3,508 posts, read 12,160,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeRkx View Post
Tell me the ups and downs of Japan.
Would it be a good move or will I regret the decision?

I already know 2 ups.

1. Girls
2. Food! (I like weird stuff, and Japan seems like the capital of weird food.)

1 down
1. Not sure how it will differ from the freedoms of America.
What do you plan on doing for a living, because it is very expensive. How well do you know the language?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 AM

419 posts, read 1,162,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
What you said is only true in certain parts of certain cities. If you go to tokyo it has 35 million people in it's metro, just because you can get some girls easy doesnt mean "japanese girls love americans". Alot of japanese girls don't like any foreigners. Obviously if you go to foreigner friendly places like roppongi hills, shinjuku etc you can probably find some of those girls easily, but the majority of japanese girls don't want anything to do with a foreigner.
Would you really say you think a decent looking american guy would have problems going out and picking up a cute japanese girl in a hot spot in tokyo? Come on be honest... i'm not saying japanese girls are easy... but.. ok well yeah if your an american guy they pretty much are LOL.

The same holds true with a lot of places in europe tho too.... tho maybe i'm just making assumptions cuz i rock so much

Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
Would you really say you think a decent looking american guy would have problems going out and picking up a cute japanese girl in a hot spot in tokyo? Come on be honest... i'm not saying japanese girls are easy... but.. ok well yeah if your an american guy they pretty much are LOL.

The same holds true with a lot of places in europe tho too.... tho maybe i'm just making assumptions cuz i rock so much
Yes i would say a good looking american guy would have a very hard time picking up a japanese girl out of the popular spots that are used to foreigners. I grew up in Wakayama, and went to school in Osaka and there was a son of a military family who moves to Osaka, and he was good looking. He had super hard time getting any girlfriends, until he decided to move to roppongi hills in tokyo and found his present day wife. Only certain parts of Tokyo are "american friendly", tokyo has 35 million people, it's not hard to find a girl with that many people in a dense area. And american/western doesnt matter japanese cant distinguish between a european and an american.

Japan has the lowest inter-racial marriage rate in the developed world, so you have a much higher chance having an asian- american wife than a japanese wife. Living in most of japan is like living in the american south in the 1950s, while living in certain tourist friendly-areas would be like living in san francisco (liberal more race mixing etc). People think because some japanese girls liked them (theres 35 million people in tokyo) that means all japanese girls like them, while they ignore probably everysingle other girl in the city didnt pay attention to them except those few (who seem like many because of pop size) that wanted a westerner.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Watch this video, this is outside of the tourist hot spots and the "real" japan mostly out of tokyo, kind of remind you of jim crow ?

YouTube - Do you like Japan? Japan doesn't like you! Racism in Japan.

Obviously this video is biased against japanese (since its made by anti japanese chinese) and the reason for most of those signs is because there was a crime made by a foreigner (not saying it's right). But the fact those signs even exists shows japanese mentality.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:32 AM

Here is a above average looking westerner (japanese cant distinguish americans or europeans/australians etc)

this is what he has to say about living in japan

YouTube - Re: Re: Do you like Japan? Japan doesn't like you!

Don't move to japan if you think the people will worship you.. perhaps if you move to a poorer asian country they will like you simply because youre rich/western.

I can't explain it any better than this guy in the link..

Old 03-04-2009, 11:13 AM

6,654 posts, read 18,678,878 times
Clue an old fogey in the saying "who seem like many because of pop size"?

I was in Japan for one year in 1951.

Does the saying mean the same now as it did then? (only with different words)

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or