U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:18 AM

419 posts, read 1,162,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Here is a above average looking westerner (japanese cant distinguish americans or europeans/australians etc)

this is what he has to say about living in japan

YouTube - Re: Re: Do you like Japan? Japan doesn't like you!

Don't move to japan if you think the people will worship you.. perhaps if you move to a poorer asian country they will like you simply because youre rich/western.

I can't explain it any better than this guy in the link..
thats no doubt the case, if you look back at my original post I said the japanese while not coming off as racist do look at themselves as superior... they give national pride a whole new meaning... and yeah I said american cuz i'm american... i know between european and australian we all look the same to you =)

i was never talking about areas outside of tokyo, or maybe i just didn't get specific enough.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:26 AM

895 posts, read 2,145,413 times
No japanese don't think theyre superior, we probably think the US is "superior" for defeating us and occupying us (well my parents generation + think this, you never hear this from young generation). Also japanese nationalism is very different in US. It's rare to see japanese flag, or to see japanese speak about how japan is the best country etc etc, while in US you can see this everywhere. Japanese are not very patriotic like americans are, japanese have a subconscious sort of "nationalism". Not really a racial one, just a japanese one since koreans and chinese are "gaijin" as well. Japanese just tend to be xenophobic, it's not about being superior or hating, since its probably easy to make friends and we will be polite to you, it's just the general attitude is japan is for japanese only.

Quote:
i was never talking about areas outside of tokyo, or maybe i just didn't get specific enough.
The majority of tokyo is xenophobic, only some areas are not, which doesnt matter because most tourists will only see/visit the tourist-friendly areas so most are unaware or they will think like you do about japanese girls. You have to keep in mind tokyo metro is the largest in the world and is extremely dense, you have a much higher chance to meet all kinds of people there from anti american to american lovers etc.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Here is a good aspect of japan i will translate it..

Quote:
イギリスの旅行雑誌『ワンダーラスト(Wanderlust)』が毎年実施している「トラベル・アワード2 009(Travel Award)」で、国別部門の第1位に日本が選出された。

同アワードは、トップカントリー、トップシティをはじめとする全13部門で構成され、読者投票で選出された 満足度の高い世界の観光地をランキングで示したもの。今回の投票は、2007年9月から2008年11月ま での間、同誌の読者を対象に行われ、読者自らの旅行経験に基づき、4つの優秀候補とその評価が 投票された。

その結果、2009年の国別部門のトップに輝いたのは日本。97.42%という高い満足度を獲得し、初のト ップ10入りにして、堂々の1位に選ばれた。

同誌によると、日本が評価された理由について「近代と古代が共存したユニークな文化の意外性に観光客は魅了 された」と説明。また「ミシュランガイドは東京が世界一の食通都市であると評価しているとおり、日本の食文 化はバラエティに富んでいるのでどんな人をも満足させることができる」と述べている。

その他、都市別部門では、1位アンティグア(グアテマラ)に続いて、京都が2位にランクインし た。

国別満足度トップ10(順位/国/満足度)
1. 日本 97.42%
2. ナミビア 96.21%
3. ニュージーランド 95.75%
4. ブータン 95.71%
5. シリア 95.38%
6. ペルー 95.36%
7. エクアドル 95.11%
8. ベトナム 95%
9. インドネシア 94.12%
10. ラオス 94.05%

It says according to traveler magazine, japan was ranked #1 for tourists to visit to. Reasons why are the tourists said they like the mix of traditional and new culture/buildings, and they said tourists consider tokyo has having the best food of all the cities in the world (though i disagree with this for japan since osaka is known as japan's kitchen), for it's large variety and cheapness.

Kyoto was ranked #2 for individual cities.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:39 AM

6,652 posts, read 18,673,644 times
Whether your from Canada...US...England...Europe countries...Australia...New Zealand...we all look the same somewhat.

The difference shows when the person opens his mouth and speaks.

I'm originally from Canada...now a American citizen...retired in Mexico...speak almost three languages.

Talked to a man while back...new he was from Quebec, Canada by his facial features and accent.

Long ago spoke with a man who was from down under...New Zealand...accent gave him away. I referred him to being a long lost cousin...he was puzzeled until I said that I was a former Canuck. He could never tell where I was from by my voice in speaking.

Bottom line is that you can never identify a persons origin until they open their mouth. Steve

Old 03-04-2009, 11:41 AM

That's true! But unfortunately many japanese can't speak english at all nowadays. So even if you speak english to them they won't know if youre a german speaking english to try and communicate. Most japanese learn english in school but i guess they all forget it..i'm one of the few japanese who loves english though and i'm studying in US now, and my fiance is american (japanese-american though but his japanese is horrible lol).

Old 03-04-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
No japanese don't think theyre superior, we probably think the US is "superior" for defeating us and occupying us (well my parents generation + think this, you never hear this from young generation). Also japanese nationalism is very different in US. It's rare to see japanese flag, or to see japanese speak about how japan is the best country etc etc, while in US you can see this everywhere. Japanese are not very patriotic like americans are, japanese have a subconscious sort of "nationalism". Not really a racial one, just a japanese one since koreans and chinese are "gaijin" as well. Japanese just tend to be xenophobic, it's not about being superior or hating, since its probably easy to make friends and we will be polite to you, it's just the general attitude is japan is for japanese only.

The majority of tokyo is xenophobic, only some areas are not, which doesnt matter because most tourists will only see/visit the tourist-friendly areas so most are unaware or they will think like you do about japanese girls. You have to keep in mind tokyo metro is the largest in the world and is extremely dense, you have a much higher chance to meet all kinds of people there from anti american to american lovers etc.

ok you win.... the fact that i'm not from japan and you are, i'll say your right and my perspective is most likely flawed...

tho i disagree with you about the superiority complex...perhaps nihonjinron theory has become more subtle... how many japanese school books teach about Nanjing massacre?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:40 PM

All of them, the chinese media liked to distort about the textbook issue. There were some textbooks created by right wing uyoku that denied all massacres of ww2, but the chinese media failed to state that not a single textbook was used so not a single student read one. Japanese government does not mandate textbooks for school, so any company can create any book. But that still doesnt have to do with superiority complex, and you're right you dont know alot about japan if you're claiming japanese think they're superior. Only right wing uyoku do.

For example you stated

Quote:
just how japanese are raised, to believe japan is #1 in everything.
I haven't met a single japanese think that.. being xenophobic doesnt mean we think we're superior. It doesnt matter if japan was third world, they can still be xenophobic many countries that are third world are also like this actually.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
and you're right you dont know alot about japan if you're claiming japanese think they're superior. Only right wing uyoku do.
Or maybe... it just happens to be a sensitive subject for you and your own pride gets in the way of seeing how things are?

You don't seem to understand, when I say superior I don't mean in a racist way... I said that since the beginning. You can see it all around in japan... and even when talking with people they have subtle ways of suggesting this...

You yourself posted youtube links of videos with all the "No foreigners allowed" and how untrustworthy they are of foreigners... do you think these same people don't think they are better then them in some ways? Honestly....

I'm sorry but i'm not convinced your not in a bit of denial because you don't want to think bad of your own cultural background... and there is nothing wrong with that....

Old 03-04-2009, 02:31 PM

Do you have a degree in japanese history/studies/culture or something? Xenophobia does not equal superiority, look it up yourself, english isn't even my main language and i know that. Japanese don't think they're superior, and if you think so you don't understand japanese mentality at all. My grandparents always ask me about US and tell me how "its better" than japan (without having even been to US alot of the older generation thinks this is of the US since ww2) yet, they still wouldnt want americans moving to japan. Does that mean japanese think they are superior or inferior to americans then? There is no superiority involved here at all. It has to do with being unacustomed to other people/races/cultures, not with japanese thinking they are "raised to think they are #1 in everything" where in gods name did you get that from? Japanese are raised to think they're #1 in everything? Give me a break. Japan was isolated from the world for hundreds of years, and even today it still isolates itself. Japanese are not used to other people, and people tend to fear things they are not used to.
Quote:
xenophobia
noun a fear of foreigners or strangers
By the way japanese are just as xenophobic as south koreans and chinese, but patriotism is almost non existant in japan compared to the US.

Quote:
just how japanese are raised, to believe japan is #1 in everything.
Were you raised in japan, do you have japanese parents? Grandparents? How would you know this? Have you atteneded japanese school?

Last edited by Bibi12; 03-04-2009 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-04-2009, 03:10 PM

Here i will try to explain it, from a japanese perspective.

You have a shop, all of your customers are the same, and speak the same language. You then see a man walking toward your shop who is "strange" or "different", the first thing that will come into your mind will be "oh..well i dont know about this man, maybe he can't even speak my language, or what will he try to do? Maybe it's better we dont let him in he might not be good for the store". The guy won't say to himself "oh, that guy is not #1 like me" or "oh he is inferior to me i dont want an inferior in my shop".

Another example is you are renting a room in your house, all of your previous customers have been the same and spoke the same language and have same customs/culture/manners etc as you. You then get somebody of a completely different culture/race/language etc a japanese would say "well...i dont know about having a stranger in my house, how would they act? It's better not to take the risk" they wouldn't say, "he is not japanese, they are not as good as us". They simply fear the unknown, many japanese fear stranger, or foreigness hence "xenophobia" this is not the same as superiority.

Many japanese think the US is "superior" but they still would fear americans moving into their neighborhood, or their house or their country. It doesn't mean japanese think they are superior to americans, because the same people that think the US is #1 and not japan, would still be xenophobic vs americans. Japan is not a multi-cultural society where you are used to differentness, or where you are raised to think different people are all "american" in japan we dont have this, we don't know about different people or cultures, yes japanese are ignorant of the world. Many japanese live in their own little "japanese world" and when something strange or different happens they fear and don't want it.

Keep in mind japan is 98.5% japanese, the rest of that is chinese and korean, so japan is literally 99.9% east asian. 98.5% of japan speak the same language, have the same history/culture etc, so you can understand why we have this attitude. One thing i can say is, how many japanese do you see with japanese flags compared to US, how many japanese do you see talk about how japan is the best/good compared to americans? Japanese aren't very patriotic at all sadly.

Last edited by Bibi12; 03-04-2009 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or