U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:51 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,769,681 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's right to be treated with discrimination like that, but in all seriousness, everyone gets very hype whenever anyplace isn't a total melting pot of ethnicites. To some extent, if everyone lived everywhere then what reason would we have to go anywhere? I don't know if I want every place in the world to be like say NY or LA.

Mixing cultures is good, but some of this "diversity" pre-tense is pretentious and lame.....

Old 06-22-2009, 01:48 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,571,941 times
Quote:
The understanding Tate Shakai and Wa would be a very small start and if you can find these topics in a book. Buy it, treasure it.
I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like the OPs reason for going there was to study wa.

I'm not sure why he would be disappointed in the girls. I lived there 8 years ago and had quite a few 'girlfriends'.

I never did get used to the different sounds they make during lovemaking though. Like you are stepping on a mouse. I like the screaming fury of an American woman.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:01 PM

I'm going to post this in a seperate message because it will likely get censored.

When I lived in Tokyo the nicer brothols were called 'soap houses". Because they gave you a bath first. All my Japanese friends told me that they would love me there. I asked why. They blushed and said because 'you know...'. I asked them to explain and they said because Americans were more well endowed.

Ha ha, I thought. They were often teasing me about being a foreigner (you will always get this, but it's kind hearted teasing) and I figured this was just another joke.

Anyway, when things started going well with a Japanese girl I went to the pharmacy and bought a box of condoms. The night came, and I pulled them out and tried to put one on. It was difficult to do, I forced it over and it broke. So I grabbed another and the same thing happened. It was then that I realized that their comments were not a joke. There was a size difference! (fortunatly I had an old one in my suitcase for when I travel.) So from then on I had to buy condoms from an American store.

I found that recalling this story of embarasment to girls I was interested in got good results. You might try it.

Note: the above is 100% true. I'm hoping the admin will let it stand.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:05 PM

221 posts, read 466,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
I'm going to post this in a seperate message because it will likely get censored.

When I lived in Tokyo the nicer brothols were called 'soap houses". Because they gave you a bath first. All my Japanese friends told me that they would love me there. I asked why. They blushed and said because 'you know...'. I asked them to explain and they said because Americans were more well endowed.

Ha ha, I thought. They were often teasing me about being a foreigner (you will always get this, but it's kind hearted teasing) and I figured this was just another joke.

Anyway, when things started going well with a Japanese girl I went to the pharmacy and bought a box of condoms. The night came, and I pulled them out and tried to put one on. It was difficult to do, I forced it over and it broke. So I grabbed another and the same thing happened. It was then that I realized that their comments were not a joke. There was a size difference! (fortunatly I had an old one in my suitcase for when I travel.) So from then on I had to buy condoms from an American store.

I found that recalling this story of embarasment to girls I was interested in got good results. You might try it.

Note: the above is 100% true. I'm hoping the admin will let it stand.
thats hilarious!!

i will have to remember this when i visit Japan i will bring a whole suitcase with just condoms.. just kidding.

anyways, nice story though japanese/asian people will find it offensive, so i wouldnt be surprised if it was removed!!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post

anyways, nice story though japanese/asian people will find it offensive, so i wouldnt be surprised if it was removed!!
Hey, it was my Japanese friends who told me about it.
I didn't believe them.

Here is another true story.
I was in a piano bar. Basically a bar where one of the hostesess sit with your table and poor drinks for the group. It's pretty standard. On slower nights you can get a couple of girls sitting at the table.

(These are not prostitutes and not to be treated as such. It's an old tradition. They will guide you with the limits and you should never go further than your hostess has already gone.)

Anyway. One curious lady asked me if it was true that blonde people had pink nipples. (cutlure shock again I said; yes, it's true and I do. She asked to see mine. thinking she was making a joke (joking and entertaining is part of their job) I said; "you show me your's first".
Without hesitation, and much to my amazement, she did.

Well, I would have been an ass if I had not receiprocated in front of everyone else. I even let her touch.

I had a friend who had hair on his chest (I dont). At another time he was asked if he had hair on his chest, 'like a monkey'. I fell out of my seat laughing.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:35 PM

221 posts, read 466,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Hey, it was my Japanese friends who told me about it.
I didn't believe them.

Here is another true story.
I was in a piano bar. Basically a bar where one of the hostesess sit with your table and poor drinks for the group. It's pretty standard. On slower nights you can get a couple of girls sitting at the table.

(These are not prostitutes and not to be treated as such. It's an old tradition. They will guide you with the limits and you should never go further than your hostess has already gone.)

Anyway. One curious lady asked me if it was true that blonde people had pink nipples. (cutlure shock again I said; yes, it's true and I do. She asked to see mine. thinking she was making a joke (joking and entertaining is part of their job) I said; "you show me your's first".
Without hesitation, and much to my amazement, she did.

Well, I would have been an ass if I had not receiprocated in front of everyone else. I even let her touch.

I had a friend who had hair on his chest (I dont). At another time he was asked if he had hair on his chest, 'like a monkey'. I fell out of my seat laughing.
ahahaha she pulled up her shirt infront of everyone!??!

i NEED to visit Japan

great stories, man. japan is soo different from the west!!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:52 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,428,726 times
Let's stick to the topic of the thread, please

Old 06-23-2009, 06:15 AM

I seem to be hyjacking the thread.
Wasn't intentional, but I seem to have the info the OP was looking for.

I think everyone should spend some time in a different country AND culture.
Europe only qualifies as the first.

It will stretch your mind in ways that you never thought possible and give you an appreciation and understanding of your own country that few others have.

If your motivation is girls and food; fine!
I'd say that was 80% if my core motivation in my life from 16 to 35.
Just get out and explore the world, it's a wonderful and fascinating place and it's never been so available to people.

The only thing you will regret (in the long run) is not going.
I envy you

Old 06-26-2009, 01:00 PM

2,702 posts, read 4,673,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Here i will try to explain it, from a japanese perspective.

You have a shop, all of your customers are the same, and speak the same language. You then see a man walking toward your shop who is "strange" or "different", the first thing that will come into your mind will be "oh..well i dont know about this man, maybe he can't even speak my language, or what will he try to do? Maybe it's better we dont let him in he might not be good for the store". The guy won't say to himself "oh, that guy is not #1 like me" or "oh he is inferior to me i dont want an inferior in my shop".

Another example is you are renting a room in your house, all of your previous customers have been the same and spoke the same language and have same customs/culture/manners etc as you. You then get somebody of a completely different culture/race/language etc a japanese would say "well...i dont know about having a stranger in my house, how would they act? It's better not to take the risk" they wouldn't say, "he is not japanese, they are not as good as us". They simply fear the unknown, many japanese fear stranger, or foreigness hence "xenophobia" this is not the same as superiority.

Many japanese think the US is "superior" but they still would fear americans moving into their neighborhood, or their house or their country. It doesn't mean japanese think they are superior to americans, because the same people that think the US is #1 and not japan, would still be xenophobic vs americans. Japan is not a multi-cultural society where you are used to differentness, or where you are raised to think different people are all "american" in japan we dont have this, we don't know about different people or cultures, yes japanese are ignorant of the world. Many japanese live in their own little "japanese world" and when something strange or different happens they fear and don't want it.

Keep in mind japan is 98.5% japanese, the rest of that is chinese and korean, so japan is literally 99.9% east asian. 98.5% of japan speak the same language, have the same history/culture etc, so you can understand why we have this attitude. One thing i can say is, how many japanese do you see with japanese flags compared to US, how many japanese do you see talk about how japan is the best/good compared to americans? Japanese aren't very patriotic at all sadly.
Excellent explanation, NihonKitty! That really does make sense. When a country is that "un-mixed", we cannot expect them to act any differently, I think it is natural human behavior to be afraid of someone different if you have little or no experience with those "different" people. We here in the US tend to stand on our soapboxes quite a lot preaching about racism, tolerance, etc.- but with us being the most diverse country in the world it's a different expectation- and it does not work to hold our own standards to other places such as Japan that are just so completely different.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:28 AM

109 posts, read 202,306 times
Been to Japan a couple decades ago and loved it. I was in Osaka and Tokyo, and the biggest thing I took away from there is that those were the friendliest people I met anywhere in the world. Also, I really liked that they were clean/modern cities. Also love Japanese food -- light, mostly healthy, delicious. Haven't been back since, so that image still stands. On the down side, it was a very expensive city, and I hear that still stands true.

FWIW, the place with the rudest people I've met anywhere? -- all of S. FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or