U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:23 PM

895 posts, read 2,148,094 times

Advertisements

What reminds you of california? Well the earthquake and mountains .

Also for everyone here thinking japan is easy for girls..it's no different than any other place in the world. Out of roppongi or tokyo in general you might have a harder time actually since many girls don't want to deal with someone who can't speak japanese etc. Obviously if you go to a bar, or club etc you always have a chance no matter where in the world. If you want to have easy girls then why move to japan? Go to sweden or other nordic countries which have been shown even in studies to be the most sexual promiscuos in the world! Even the USA ranked higher than japan..

Actually alot of japanese men think going to the US and getting a drunk american girl is super easy...especially if they go to a party place like cancun,mexico (it's basically all americans).

Also i explained it pretty well..but again racist isn't the right word..xenophobic is the right word. And even then we are only talking about a certain portion of the japanese population mostly the old generation..which the government happens to be lol. BTW why racist is wrong because japanese americans who are pure japanese face the exact same xenophobia from japanese as a black american..so you can't be racist against your own "pure" race of japanese. Japanese brazilians who are pure japanese actually face the biggest discrimination in japan. Tourists won't have any problem as i said before...since we are polite and nice to everyone, the problem is with if you move there like the OP is saying.

Now MOVING to japan just for girls is ridiculous..a tourist going to japan to get some drunk or roppongi foreign-loving girls ok..that makes sense but moving to japan for girls? BAD idea, these girls just want to treat you like an accesory and then theyre done with you. If you want a normal japanese girl not a roppongi sl** then you need to learn japanese, deal with the family, cultural barriers etc. If you want a real relationship then japan is harder than US, if you want one night stands, then again japan is no different than the US, you have a better chance in sweden.

Last edited by Bibi12; 07-05-2009 at 08:33 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 09:22 PM

15,956 posts, read 36,247,366 times
I just wanted to say something about PEOPLE who move to FOREIGN COUNTRIES to get a guy/girl.

Prior to the story, I should mention I lived in both New York City and Seoul Korea prior to living in Japan.

Anyways, in Korea, MANY foreigners tell their older overweight Korean female students - if you REALLY want to get a guy, go to America! A lot of overweight women there, you will find an American guy NO PROBLEM! (Sounds like logical advice, right?)

A few years later, I was living in New York City and teaching ESL parttime. One of my students was an older overweight Korean woman. She could hardly speak even basic English and living in Flushing, NY (a huge Korean area).

Anyways, she was lonely, etc. BASICALLY, she WAS the kind of person who took all the advice seriously - go to America, you'll find desparate horny white guys everywhere. She followed the advice. There she sat in NYC in a Korea-town, might as well still be in Korea, couldn't speak any English, couldn't find a guy to date.

Same ol', same ol'.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 10,840 times
even if the shops and **** don't wanna let you in what are they pose to do? aint no decent sized american gonna get stood down by some puny japanese guy

Old 07-06-2009, 01:45 PM

895 posts, read 2,148,094 times
Americans are only 2 inches taller on average than japanese today. First of all inside of tokyo and tourist areas you will probably never see a single shop that doesn't allow foreigners this is usually only in obscure or rural areas. Second of all why would you do that? They just wont serve you and will call the police if you happen to even find a place that won't allow you in the first place.

It's better to not cause problems in japan since that is why some places restrict foreigners in the first place, because some drunk australians or american navymen go in and cause problems. Also if you do find a bar that doesn't allow foreigners in osaka or tokyo (since it's rare for any place in the major cities to restrict foreigners), you better watch out since it's probably a yakuza place and if you cause problems you'd probably get beaten up or worse - killed.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:07 PM

2,704 posts, read 4,683,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Americans are only 2 inches taller on average than japanese today. First of all inside of tokyo and tourist areas you will probably never see a single shop that doesn't allow foreigners this is usually only in obscure or rural areas. Second of all why would you do that? They just wont serve you and will call the police if you happen to even find a place that won't allow you in the first place.

It's better to not cause problems in japan since that is why some places restrict foreigners in the first place, because some drunk australians or american navymen go in and cause problems. Also if you do find a bar that doesn't allow foreigners in osaka or tokyo (since it's rare for any place in the major cities to restrict foreigners), you better watch out since it's probably a yakuza place and if you cause problems you'd probably get beaten up or worse - killed.
It just boggles my mind that anybody would want to go to a foreign country and cause trouble no matter what the situation may be. To scream and beat on doors of threaten people in Japan because they may not let you into a shop is just ridiculous! Just because not being allowed into a shop (even though as has been stated that seems to be a very rare occurance) may go against your own values as an American, it is your responsibility as a visitor to live within the rules and guidelines of that country. I think this loud, "my way is right" mentality that some of us Americans bring with us overseas really has given us a bad reputation worldwide, and we need to be extra aware of this no matter what the situation is as we are visiting foreign places.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 PM

3,698 posts, read 8,863,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
It just boggles my mind that anybody would want to go to a foreign country and cause trouble no matter what the situation may be. To scream and beat on doors of threaten people in Japan because they may not let you into a shop is just ridiculous! Just because not being allowed into a shop (even though as has been stated that seems to be a very rare occurance) may go against your own values as an American, it is your responsibility as a visitor to live within the rules and guidelines of that country. I think this loud, "my way is right" mentality that some of us Americans bring with us overseas really has given us a bad reputation worldwide, and we need to be extra aware of this no matter what the situation is as we are visiting foreign places.
That's the kind of attitude that makes me ashamed to be an American. I know a lot of people stationed here that walk around with their muscles flexed, and saying "We're Americans, we're the greatest people in the world! HOORAH!!!" and think they can just go around beating up any Japanese person, even police officers because they assume they are all like 4 ft. tall and 100 lbs. For that reason, I don't blame the Japanese for being anti-American. Unfortunately I get put in the same category as them. It's those few idiots that ruin it for everybody.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:23 PM

3,698 posts, read 8,863,571 times
Quote:
What reminds you of california? Well the earthquake and mountains .
Actually the crowded and expensive part is what is similar between CA and Japan. Having mountains and the ocean close together is also what makes them similar, but in a good way. I know they are still different in many ways, especially the weather, but I think overall Japan is more similar to California that it is to Georgia. But since you spent some time in ATL maybe you can offer a second opinion on that.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:53 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,575,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenriver View Post
even if the shops and **** don't wanna let you in what are they pose to do? aint no decent sized american gonna get stood down by some puny japanese guy
I'm guessing you are either a troll or have never left your home town

When you are in a country you are their as their guest. If you don't like it, they will have you leave. They don't even have to have a reason. Japan does not have Habius Corpus.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:00 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,575,610 times
When living in Japan I was refused service in a very few stores. When I did, I bowed and left.

I lived in a rather upscale part of Tokyo that had older homes. One day my Japanese friends and are were looking for a bar. Some of the best have just a small sign outside. So I'm being an American running from place to place, sticking my head in.

I open one door, I can't see very well, so I step in. As my eyes adjust to the light I see a bar with a large table down the center. On both sides are hefty Japanese men wearing dark blue suits, some with sun glasses. I also notice that the guy at the door has tatoos on his arm.

I apologized, bowed my head and stepped out backwards.

If you are going to go to foreign countries, you need to know when you step in it and be prepared to back up.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:23 PM

159 posts, read 208,520 times
Quote:

Also i explained it pretty well..but again racist isn't the right word..xenophobic is the right word. And even then we are only talking about a certain portion of the japanese population mostly the old generation..which the government happens to be lol. BTW why racist is wrong because japanese americans who are pure japanese face the exact same xenophobia from japanese as a black american..so you can't be racist against your own "pure" race of japanese. Japanese brazilians who are pure japanese actually face the biggest discrimination in japan. Tourists won't have any problem as i said before...since we are polite and nice to everyone, the problem is with if you move there like the OP is saying.
Yes and no, xenophobia and racism can be the samething and are often very close to eachother. Ah yes you can be racist against your own race.

For example stores that don't allow foreigners, you would be surprised at how easily those same stores allow asian foreigners in without questioning their nationality whatsoever. That right there is racism, because they are basing it upon a person looks, more specifically their race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or