U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:54 PM

6 posts, read 17,313 times

Advertisements

My wife and I lived in Japan for over three years. We enjoyed it so very much. We lived in the northern part in Misawa. I think it is a shame that more people do not travel up north. The climate is wonderful, the scenery is fantastic, the people are great. And in the winter, the skiing can't be beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 06:49 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,039,585 times
Getting excited about our trip-we leave Monday! I've already started packing and have my MP3 player and new book ready for that long flight. My friend will meet us at the airport in Osaka-she's leaving Fri. for Tokyo to visit with family first. I can already taste that sushi and sake!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,801 times
ive been there and i was not impressed

Old 05-09-2007, 07:56 PM

With the food? people? culture and history? Don't just leave me hanging! Were you a visitor, on work or what? I like to hear about all kinds of experiences in places I am going. Everywhere I have been, someone I know loved/hated it, had a great/awful time, or can't wait to go back/never go back again.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:26 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,540,797 times
Japan is a wonderful country and you'll thoroughly enjoy yourself. You should be pumped up because you're in for a GREAT time!

Old 05-13-2007, 11:48 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,969,414 times
We only stayed in Japan for a while en route to Hong Kong but I can say this: get ready for one expensive trip!!! My Japanese exchange student friend told me if I ever wanted to visit Japan, I have to save up a lot 'cuz it ain't cheap buying stuff there. I definitely got a taste of it at the airport! Have fun!

Old 06-02-2007, 05:36 AM

Just got back from our 2-week Japan vacation. What a wonderful, whirlwind of activity and a great trip! Thanks to our friend who is Japanese, we were able to travel easily by shinkansen,local train,subway,bus,taxi and of course, lots of walking.We visited at least 8 cities, with numerous gardens,shrines,temples,and local sites. We sang at a karaoke box in Ginza,went to a dance club with a live band singing American oldies,petted the deer at Miyajima, were awed at the Hiroshima Peace Park, went to the top of Tokyo Tower,saw Sumo at the train station on their way to the stadium, hiked up a mountain to a wild monkey park (NO cages or boundaries!),got crushed by the crowd at 2 festival parades, my husband got a tattoo, we conversed with schoolchildren practicing their English, stayed at traditional inns (ryokan)and enjoyed the hot baths,toured a sake-distillery museum and got free sake,toured a Samurai house with the most incredibly huge koi I ever saw,visited a hand-dyed kimono making studio, and the list goes on. And the food! We ate 4-5 times a day if you include snacks bought off the street. Tried squid-ink sausage,whole cooked smelt with roe inside, great sushi,awesome ramen noodles,omelet rice,Tokyo banana snack cakes,jelly-like sweets,bitter tea,yakisoba,okonomoyaki,an amazing meal served to us in our yukata at the ryokan,fantastic desserts and pastries and one of everything on the small-plate menu at the dance club. It was not a relaxing vacation, but a wealth of history, culture, fun, new friends and experiences. The only thing that sucked was the jet-lag. I still wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble staying awake in mid-day. Couldn't have asked for a better experience. Sayonara!

Old 06-02-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
We only stayed in Japan for a while en route to Hong Kong but I can say this: get ready for one expensive trip!!! My Japanese exchange student friend told me if I ever wanted to visit Japan, I have to save up a lot 'cuz it ain't cheap buying stuff there. I definitely got a taste of it at the airport! Have fun!
Please don't judge a country by it's airport prices! Yes, you can spend lots of money in Japan, but we ate very well at reasonable side-street Mom and Pop places, stayed in ryokans which were reasonably priced and used a JR railpass to travel around which saved lots of expense. Also, Japan has a no-tipping policy which will save you 15% on meals right off the top. Our average meal was probably $8.00/person which we would spend in the U.S. easily.The plane tickets were the single most expensive thing, but what do you expect? We spent just as much money taking 2 weeks and driving around Florida to Key West 2 years ago, and didn't experience half as much.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:06 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,375,081 times
Good to see you enjoyed your trip.
My wife and I are going back in 2008.
One of my favorite places in the world. Personally, I would like to find a job there for about a 5 year stint.

To me it is just a pleasant place.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:30 PM

700 posts, read 2,333,568 times
I wanted to chime in to agree with firebll31....
Japan is as expensive as you want it to be. I have lived here for a year and a half, and have found somethings to be on par with a city like SFO/NYC (I have lived in both) and some things to be far cheaper then the US. Rent here is crazy,,,for sure!! But transpo is cheap and great (plus not owning a car is nice!!). I think, If I came here and tried to live like I did in the states (car, house, stuff) I would be in big trouble....but the reason Im here is to learn a different way, thats part of the journey!! Im sure as someone with a mostly american idea of cost and material gains...Every country would have its challenges in one fashion or another. The best part is the food....hands down the best for the cost!!

Each journey begins with the first step....but not with your feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or