U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 05:22 AM

12 posts, read 42,656 times

Advertisements

I am just have a reminiscent moment of my time in India, and was wondering if anyone had some special moments they had on there travels in India.
My Favourite was when i was visiting a school and i was giving out pens to the children and the look of gratiude on there faces were resplendent of someone who had just been given a a million pounds. It was humbling that a simple pen brought so much joy.

Would love to hear some other peoples views.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 08:58 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,177,287 times
I lived in India for three years and the sub-continent for 10. I guess I must have been rather odd, because I really enjoyed living there. I enjoyed the arts, the culture, the history, temples, food, people - traveling around India. Spending Christmas in Darjeeling, the Tibetans who lived in New Delhi -- I could just go on.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:39 AM

3,751 posts, read 9,600,559 times
In our travels, it is the one place I dream about returning to. Loved it.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 64,594 times
i was born in india, proud punjabi. i lived there for nine years. then moved to USA.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:19 PM

349 posts, read 341,425 times
I'm planning to go next. I find it such a fascinating country for the usual reasons: the history, culture, spirituality, people, nature. I've been to Sri Lanka, which is amazing in it's own right (with many things distinct from India). I'm fairly familiar with Indian culture.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 3,989 times
i have plan to go mumbay next month for a duty..

Old 05-28-2015, 12:06 PM

12,267 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Ahhh haven't been in two years, previously I went a couple times a year. The memories:

That burnt yellow/gray sky that always hangs over Delhi
The site of men defecating on public streets
The toxic odor of Delhi's rivers. At least I think they are rivers - the canals with that slimy greenish liquid.
The mix of B.O. and curry in the outsource office I was visiting.
And...oh the trash...everywhere.

I'm being tough on India, I do like it just for the impact and shock it gives to a westerners senses. I'll probably go back next year.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:41 AM

6 posts, read 8,198 times
Quote:
I'm being tough on India, I do like it just for the impact and shock it gives to a westerners senses. I'll probably go back next year.
So nothing positive from your visit there at all? Why do you bother going back then?

People who relentlessly focus on the negative aspect of any country are so tiresome - they think they're being clever or funny, but are rarely perceived that way by the average reader. A point to consider.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:57 AM

12,267 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahawa View Post
So nothing positive from your visit there at all? Why do you bother going back then?

People who relentlessly focus on the negative aspect of any country are so tiresome - they think they're being clever or funny, but are rarely perceived that way by the average reader. A point to consider.
What does my 2nd to last sentence say newbie?

Repeat after me: "I DO LIKE INDIA" in spite of all it's faults

I go to India for business, in other words I get paid, very well I might add, to travel there. If you work in an outsource office I am probably your boss (and in that case - get back to work). You want India bashing? I can refer you to a few threads, many of which I have defended India. Save your energy for those threads. Meanwhile - STOP CRAPPING IN THE STREET. That's just nasty.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:02 AM

6 posts, read 8,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
What does my 2nd to last sentence say newbie?

Repeat after me: "I DO LIKE INDIA" in spite of all it's faults

I go to India for business, in other words I get paid, very well I might add, to travel there. If you work in an outsource office I am probably your boss (and in that case - get back to work). You want India bashing? I can refer you to a few threads, many of which I have defended India. Save your energy for those threads. Meanwhile - STOP CRAPPING IN THE STREET. That's just nasty.
Actually, for someone who has as much time as you obviously do to 'contribute' to this forum, I have a feeling you're probably a lot less important than you seem to think you are.
Dial it down a little, you're not impressing anyone, least of all me.

Oh, and congratulations on 'liking India'. I'm sure they're eternally grateful to you.

Meanwhile for anyone who wants to read some unbiased views on India, here are a few. This is from the perspective of a non-Indian married to an Indian expat.

The country is absolutely vast, you will find 3rd, 2nd and 1st world living standards within its borders. Remember this when you visit and it will save you some time.

The people are on the whole very proud of their culture, their history (with a couple of obvious blips) - so drop your notions of western superiority. They will be polite and helpful to you but not because they worship you, but because that's the way Indians treat guests.

Take the time to visit any of the innumerable ancient temples, monuments, relics - India has layer upon layer of history and it is truly a fascinating place. This place has had a continuous, unbroken civilisation for several thousand years, and it shows, if you take the time to look and appreciate it.

The landscape can be breath-takingly beautiful. My advice is to venture away from the big, hot cities and into the countryside - there's more space, more time and you feel like you really are in one of the most magnificent places on earth.

Finally, go with an open mind. Don't expect pristine streets - this is a place that celebrates life and people live it to the fullest of their abilities. People are curious and will not be shy in showing that. They want to know where you're from, what you're doing there, but it is never threatening or dangerous.

Last edited by sahawa; 05-29-2015 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or