U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:50 PM

48,116 posts, read 45,484,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Very well, does your source rhyme with Streekyseedya?
What is Streekyseedya?

BTW, this is stuff I learned when I was 13.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 02:43 AM

236 posts, read 342,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
minibrings - I think it's a language problem. I think Paul meant that your note was too short for him to understand the reasons behind your note.

And Paul, the way your question is constructed, sounds accusatory for the English ear, or putting down his views, hence the reaction from minibrings. The correct way to put it would be "Can I ask you why you liked Russia and Armenia?" or "I'm afraid I don't understand why you liked Russia and Armenia."
Thank you nuala! That does make sense! Yes, dear minibrings, I'm afraid I don't understand why you liked Russia and Armenia? Sorry, people, for inconvenience!

Last edited by Paul Negresco; 04-09-2009 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 04-09-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Paul, what do you do in Baku?
I have a master degree in Political Sciences and use to work for OSCE, US Embassy and in several international NGO. Now I work for an oil company and managing an NGO at the same time. I conduct trainings in Human Rights, Elections and Democracy Institutions.
Dear, minibrings, you do have right for your opinion. And I am at least ready to listen and tolerate that!

Old 04-09-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have never been to Azerbaijan, but this is what I know about Azerbaijan.

The capital of Azerbaijan is Baku.

There is a part of the country separate from the mainland and that part is called Naxcivan.

It was once part of USSR and was spelled Azerbaidzhan.

It is located in the Caucasus region on the eastern end of it.

Part of it borders the Caspian Sea.
Thank you, dear pirate_lafitte! So, what kind of impression do you have about it - is it an islam-orientated or a secular state?

Old 04-09-2009, 11:48 AM

48,116 posts, read 45,484,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Negresco View Post
Thank you, dear pirate_lafitte! So, what kind of impression do you have about it - is it an islam-orientated or a secular state?
I know that Islam is the main religion in Azerbaijan, but I see it as being more of a secular state.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I know that Islam is the main religion in Azerbaijan, but I see it as being more of a secular state.
And that's absolutely right. Azerbaijan has nothing in common with such countries as Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, Morocco and others. We are completely different. Azerbaijanis never were as religious as todays muslims are. Tolerance and hospitality are our visting cards.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:10 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,140,728 times
Wow, impressive resume. Have you ever travelled outside Azerbaijan? is the country self-sustained? Apart from oil and gas, what industries are strong there? Can Russians freely enter?

A lot of questions

Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,140,728 times
Quote:
What is Streekyseedya?

BTW, this is stuff I learned when I was 13.
pirate-lafitte, it's remarkable that you know geography so well. Those cities you compare to cities on other continents - you learned of all of them just by studying ?? That's colossal.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Wow, impressive resume. Have you ever travelled outside Azerbaijan? is the country self-sustained? Apart from oil and gas, what industries are strong there? Can Russians freely enter?

A lot of questions
Thanx! Yes, I have been to Turkey, Russia and Georgia several times. Yes, Azerbaijan is self-sustained. We produce metal-roll, drilling equipment, construction materials, chemical products and etc. We also have developed agriculture (cotton growing, cultivation of grains, wine-making and etc.). All nations exept armenians can freely enter Azerbaijan (Russians do not require a visa, as we don't require one to enter Russia). Most foreign travellers to Azerbaijan require a visa. Tourist visa canbe obtained at Baku airport without presentation of any additional documentation for stays of up to 7 days.
Ask more questions, dear nuala! Don't hesitate! Will be happy to answer them.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:34 PM

300 posts, read 654,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Negresco View Post
Tolerance and hospitality are our visting cards.

yeah, sure:

Pogrom of Armenians in Baku - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
EurasiaNet Eurasia Insight - Unrest Rocks Baku As Opposition Protests Azerbaijani Election Results (http://www.eurasianet.org/departments/insight/articles/eav101603.shtml - broken link)

During 1990's pogroms, the Azeri militants were instructed to kill Armenians only but spare others if possible. There were plenty of Jews at that time living in the city, and it was a hard task to tell a Jew from an Armenian. So the militants had to resort to pulling every suspicious man's pants down right there on the street to find out. Many people including Jews and even Russians fled the city leaving all possessions behind. Years later, they returned to find out that everything they left had been seized and "redistributed", including homes and apartments.

Even now, if you only mention, just mention Armenian in one of the languages commonly spoken in Baki (Armyane, Ermeni, Ermeniler), or say something that sounds like it, you may be arrested, just for saying this word, even accidentally.

Not mentioning crowds in narrow streets. Whether you are indeed Armenian or not, it's up to the crowd to decide, not your family's genealogist.

Read the Dept of State travel profile, read virtualtourist.com, and go to Greece or Turkey instead.

There was this joke in the old USSR:

- What's Azeri definition of the harmony of the nations?
- It's when all nations in the world, Russians, Georgians, Ukrainians, Jews, you name it, get together, exchange hugs and curtsies, sing and dance Kumbaya then peacefully march as one man to knock them Armenians out...

As of anthropological interest, any major US city offers much more material on that matter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia