Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,864 times

Advertisements

anyone who voted manila were right,the filipinos ofcourse of the english as the officially language were similar to an america's life. i dont make mumbai down but i am only saying the truth that manila is more complex and more similar to some of america's state like miami because of its hot and humid weather along with the manila bay is completely similar to miami beach..any way my exact vote is manila.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 02:17 AM

351 posts, read 1,870,972 times
Hi,

I am an American living in Manila, working for one of your "comparator institutions." I've been here a year. So far, you've been well-advised about conditions. If you have specific questions, you can send me a direct message.

A couple points to note on Manila (and yes, I'd pick it over Mumbai)

1. traffic. It's bad. It's boring. It's a topic of conversation. Lives and schedules are planned around it, as is where and how you live (I live very close to my work, for that reason. It takes me 5 minutes to get TO work, but on a Friday evening, may take 45 to get home).

2. humidity. It's horrible. However, you won't have much occasion to be outside unless you make an effort to be.

3. The people. Wonderful, fabulous, good sense of humor, easy to communicate (once you get the hang of it).

4. On the tax front, you will likely qualify for foreign-income earned taxation which is something like tax-free (for income earned overseas, if you are out of the US long enough during the year) up to something like $90k. Salary and benefits are taxable after that.

Happy planning!

Old 04-17-2009, 02:46 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,058,695 times
I've lived in Asia for about 10 years.

MANILA all the way. Beautiful beaches, great people, very relatable culture, etc. Plus if you are an expat, you'll be staying in Makati most likely, and well, it's just good all the way around.

MUMBAI...ah, I can't say good or bad....

Well, if you are single, 100% Manila no doubt about it. Dating is pretty close to out of the question in Mumbai.

If you are married...I think your wife and kids would just enjoy the 'normality' of Manila over Mumbai as well. Not that Manila is a nice place, as it isn't...but they have tons of shopping malls all over the city, monster size ones...and pretty much everyone speaks English. Plus culturally, they have immense American and Spanish influence, making the culture relatively familiar on more levels than in India.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,844,451 times
Stayed for a few days in Ermita a few years ago, loved it...u are not obliged to go to the clubs if u don't want it, but it's true that girls talk to u in the street, very pleasant...Mumbai...never been there but what I know of it doesn't attract me !

Old 04-17-2009, 09:11 PM

6 posts, read 18,358 times
Great Medical Care in the larger City Hospitals in the Philippines.

Traffic is awful in larger cities especially Manila and Cebu

Safe International airports in many ways more security then USA before and after 9/11

Great beaches not just Boracay where its very expensive

excellent shopping malls
Mall of Asia is excellent great New Orleans style restaurant there.

Don't count on the weather reports,

Old 04-17-2009, 09:33 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,058,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Fil 1 View Post
Great beaches not just Boracay where its very expensive
Important to note that Boracay is only expensive by Philippines standards. Most things are very cheap and inexpensive in the Philippines...so when a person goes to Boracay, they might have to dish out something a bit more compareable to western prices, but comparitively on an international level, what you get for the price, is really good.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:30 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,292,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-relocation View Post
I am from NYC, and I am looking at the option of taking a 2yr expat assignment for a European Investment Bank in either of these two cities.

I have never worked overseas before, and have never been to either city.

If anyone has any experience with these cities, or taking an expat assignment in general , any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also if anyone has any idea what the tax implications are in the US?
Your tax implications are that you will be required to file income tax forms on all of your income even if you are working overseas. Generally, you will not have to pay any federal income taxes on an income level of US$87,600 and below. If your salary (includes housing allowance, etc.) is over that amount, then you will pay taxes on the amount exceeding US$87,600.

In addition to the standard forms 1040, Schedules A&B (if needed), Schedule D (if needed), you will need to file Form 2555: Foreign Earned Income exclusion. There is a "test" to see what percentage of the US$87,600 you can use to subtract from your total income; i.e., if you spend 90 days in the USA, and 275 days overseas (on business), then you will get only 275/365 times the US$87,600 exclusion.

Overseas filers get an automatic 2-month extension to 15 June. If you also file Form 4868 with your other tax forms, you can extend that two more months to 15 August.

Such a deal!

Old 04-18-2009, 11:47 AM

3,408 posts, read 4,447,866 times
If you want adventure, go to Mumbai. If you want it easy, go to Manila.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:15 PM

17 posts, read 73,798 times
Thanks for all of the replies, all had good information

Now the company has changed their plans, and the only possibility is in mumbai. I believed they staffed manila without having to offer expat agreements. Before this happened i was leaning toward manila

So i am going to interview for Mumbai, and see what kind of expat package they offer. That will be the deciding factor now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia