U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:38 PM

99 posts, read 493,143 times

Advertisements

My sister is going to India for a business trip and she also plans to have a vacation there for 3 months afterwards. I am not sure how her experience will be? Anyone familiar with the places, culture there? or any advices, please post. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 04:58 PM

514 posts, read 870,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snitins View Post
My sister is going to India for a business trip and she also plans to have a vacation there for 3 months afterwards. I am not sure how her experience will be? Anyone familiar with the places, culture there? or any advices, please post. Thanks in advance.
It's very beautiful in most of India. Also, very cheap compared to most other world currencies. If she is going to live there for 3 months I recommend getting an apartment in the area (unless she'll be traveling around a lot). It's easy and cheap to get a maid and/or cook so she could learn to make the cuisine and not have to go out every night. Plus she can bring her knowledge back home!

Watch out for the weather too if she'll be traveling. It can vary a lot. Try not to go in monsoon season... :-)

Another plus is that the vast majority speak at least some English, with most, in the cities at least, being fluent.

My best recommendation is to pick up a good book, obviously, and also, if your sister doesn't like spicy or very spicy foods, try getting a book solely on the cuisine so she knows what to order at restaurants. Hope she has a great time!

Old 04-19-2007, 10:19 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,187,317 times
I lived in India and neighboring Pakistan for over 10 years. I envy your sister - she will have a rich experience and one that will change her perspective of how she views the world forever.

She needs to be careful of the drinking water. As Kiru stated, get a good book and also one on etiquette. Dress comfortably and not revealing - just a good rule of thumb regardless of where you travel. Good walking shoes. See the main sights. Get a guide if she can afford it. The food is wonderful beyond words. For some it might be too spicy. Get a hat. Lots of sunscreen. Take tissues with you because you never know if the facilities will be stocked with toilet paper (remote travel).

I suggest she see the main sights - this covers a lot of territory - see Darjeeling - Taj - so many other places - Kashmir, etc. Oh gosh, I really envy her.

Begging for Bakshish (money) - Hard as this may sound, there are lots of beggers (adults and children) - she will do best to ignore them. They will tug on your sleeve - ignore them. If you happen to give something to just one, it can create a mob scene.

Last edited by jhlcomp; 04-19-2007 at 10:27 AM..

Old 04-19-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks very much. Any other suggestions will also be welcomed. She is very much eager to see India's urban and rural life both other than seeing natural beauty of India. What do u suggest for that. Hw r the clubs/nightlife?How beautiful are the downtowns? And I heard a lot of poverty there in rural areas. she would like to see that and experience that for her coming book.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:44 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,187,317 times
She will experience poverty from the moment her foot steps out of the airport. Cities are nothing like what we have in the US and in Europe. It is quite different and there will be a bit of a culture shock as she arrives.

Remember the cow is sacred in India. You may find cows on the sidewalks sleeping and you are not to disturb them. On the highways you will have cars, oxen carts, motorized ricksaws, bikes, heavily adorned buses with passengers on the roof, chaos, etc.

No matter where your car stops, you will have people milling around you in moments - if you are in a rural community, they will come out of nowhere.

We went to some really great clubs.

Check out:
http://www.indax.com/living.html
http://www.travellersworldwide.com/0...ndia-about.htm
http://geography.about.com/library/cia/blcindia.htm
http://www.stylusinc.com/business/in...tural_tips.htm
http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/reso...y-profile.html

This is a good start. Does she have a publisher?

Old 04-21-2007, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 64,632 times
Where is her business trip?. i was born in india, in punjab. that i believe is the second best place to live in india. #1 being goa if you have money. punjab has the second highest literacy rate and lower poverty than the rest of india.
one more thing is to act like you know the place or beggars will crowd anound you because they know you're a tourist. rural life isn't bad how people say it is. my uncle lives in a rural village. 12,000 people is rural in india lol. life is laid back and relaxed. of course i'm only talking about punjabi villages. i havn't been to hindi speaking villages. people will respect you if you look american because they dont see many. one good place to see is the Golden Temple. sided with 24 karat gold. it's awesome. ask a question i'll answer

Old 04-29-2007, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 15,391 times
And most of you seem to forget South India. I have lived all my life in Karnataka, Tamil nadu and Andhra pradesh. If your sister is interested in temples and natural beauty and rural life.. south india beckons.

There are lots of temple towns out here.. Ranging from Tirupathi, rameshwaram, Udupi, Gokarna to places like Kanyakumari (the southernmost point of the peninsula) to places like Belur, Halebid, Hampi, Ajantha and Ellora caves etc.

The nilgiris are another sight to behold..Coorg, Munnar etc. Most of kerala is awesome! And a train journey is a must. You get to see a lot of India this way. And yeah, make sure that you carry an umbrella and loads of tissue paper.. and preferably wear Indian clothes.. From what i know, they are far more comfortable than your "normal" clothes.. and suited for the weather here. You can ask her to buy cotton Salwar Kameez once she lands in india.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the valuable advices.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:28 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,323,339 times
She should check out the Fodor's forums. They're the best travel forums around, IMNSHO.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:38 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,415,550 times
mumbai is the closest thing (in my honest opinion) that you will find to the states, regular supermarkets, regular indoor malls....we came back in feb...and even had my ruby tuesdays over there..complete with ribs and all!

I know that you may not want to her that..but she will get a craving for home at some point in time..and its just nice to let you know that you can indeed get "most" items over there in the bigger areas..mumbai, new delhi.

We did a tour..as we were going for a wedding...and a HUGE family reunion. So we started in New Delhi....then went to kashmir for a retreat, then flew to mumbai...then to agra, and even managed to swing by and see relatives in punjab and visit the golden temple.

It is amazing....and a once in a lifetime experience....but be strong..poverty is everywhere..and you have to be strong willed to ignore it...we stayed with family who had westernized everything in their homes, so we didnt feel anything lacking and when we did stay in a hotel it was the mariott or le meridian...both of which the accomodation were awesome.

BUT just to warn you....and it will happen, carry toilet paper wherever you go.....and NOT every place will have a western bathroom....okay this is gross...in the more rural parts of india they have squatting potties..so yes..you squat and go.

tAke the zillions of shots and also drink the bottled water...and boil your milk first!

I know its tempting to go rural..but honestly stick the the beauty of major cities and you will be better off.

Mumbai and Goa arent cheap at all..a decent room at the JW marriott was 400 dollars a night and so is goa..so be warned of people who tell you how cheap it is...

Sure you can stay at a motel 6 place.or you can be safe...also Fair skin is treasured...Indian people love women with fair skin....

I am punjabi and they call them M'aam- and I think the literal translation is English..but I cannot be sure..so if you sis has pretty blond hair and blue eyes..she will be looked at....because even though I am brought up in this country..my dh who is also india..has practically white skin (also punjabi)..and our kids have his coloring...and we get it all the time..OMG...the girsl are sooooo fair.

its little quirks, I know..but its just customs over there. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or