Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,182 times

Advertisements

Why do the Asians in Asia, and even the new Asians in the US (like the international students that roam around the college towns of America's heartland), have a certain look of nerd to them, that is more rare in American(ized) Asians?

I personally don't find the nerdy look as prevalent in Vietnamese or Thais, so this is more about Chinese and Koreans. The Chinese in Singapore and Malaysia look nerdy for the most part too. If not nerdy, they look like they don't care how they look (the hair is messy, the girls don't wear too much make up etc etc). Obviously there are lots of Asian-Americans who perpetuate these long-standing stereotypes too, but they are less likely to look nerdy and there is an "Asian-American-look" (as an Asian-American myself, I can tell you there is a certain look).

Mannerisms are so different too. Americanized Asians don't shuffle their feet or raise their 2 fingers when posing for pictures which is so childish.

what other things do you notice that are different between Asians in Asia (or new Asians in America), compared to Americanized Asians.

Also, do you think the Asians who are born/ raised in other Anglophone countries such as UK, Canada, Australia, NZ will be more or less like the American ones, just by being influenced by the western cultures.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:55 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
I think not caring about how the look is 100 times better than not caring about their grades/GPAs, don't you think so?

Maybe the mainstream American culture is all about looking pretty and sexy and getting laid, fortunately Asians realize that there is something far more important than that. The pathetic American culture seems to be telling kids every day that being good at math and science is a bad thing, while being sleek with ladies not caring about school is cool - there is a name for the latter - losers.

Those nerdy Asian kids eventually get into Princeton and MIT while playing 3 music instruments, while the cool kids end up waiting tables or fixing cars at the age of 45.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times
people tend to adapt to where they live, I see the same thing with asians in the US that come from different parts of the US

an asian that grew up in a rough part of NYC will definitely look, act, talk differently than an asian that is from another part of the USA

Old 02-10-2014, 03:48 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Why do the Asians in Asia, and even the new Asians in the US (like the international students that roam around the college towns of America's heartland), have a certain look of nerd to them, that is more rare in American(ized) Asians?

I personally don't find the nerdy look as prevalent in Vietnamese or Thais, so this is more about Chinese and Koreans. The Chinese in Singapore and Malaysia look nerdy for the most part too. If not nerdy, they look like they don't care how they look (the hair is messy, the girls don't wear too much make up etc etc). Obviously there are lots of Asian-Americans who perpetuate these long-standing stereotypes too, but they are less likely to look nerdy and there is an "Asian-American-look" (as an Asian-American myself, I can tell you there is a certain look).

Mannerisms are so different too. Americanized Asians don't shuffle their feet or raise their 2 fingers when posing for pictures which is so childish.

what other things do you notice that are different between Asians in Asia (or new Asians in America), compared to Americanized Asians.

Also, do you think the Asians who are born/ raised in other Anglophone countries such as UK, Canada, Australia, NZ will be more or less like the American ones, just by being influenced by the western cultures.
Because they are a subset of the population over there? You must have not hung around many Asians, cause I have Japanese friends that look nerdy and some that don't. Same with the Chinese ones.

Again, you have a limited exposure of Asians in general, because I have not seen Asians like you describe to such a large degree you are claiming.

How is that childish? Women here making duck faces and an upside down peace when getting the photo taken sign looks ridiculous.

I notice that Asian-Americans speak English fluently, and Asians have a heavy accent.

No, they will be just like the people that they were raised around

Old 02-10-2014, 05:03 PM

199 posts, read 336,708 times
Are you referring to the black rim eyeglasses that a lot of Asians wear?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:07 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,971 times
Shouldn't it be the opposite? Most immigrants that come to the United States are more educated or schooled than those back in their "home countries". In Asia, as in any part of the world, obviously you have the average citizens of the society itself which means you still have a lot of poor people, rural farmers, working class people, plenty of non-nerdy folks that aren't the ones who immigrate to America.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:37 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,395 times
Interesting topic. There are many reasons. Perhaps because Asian culture values conformity. And the students that come to the U.S. are here to study. Thus, among the students who come here from Asia, they tend to dress like their student contemporaries in Asia to conform. NOTE: there are articles and studies that discuss high rates of myopia in Asia. I think students especially in Asia have a higher rate of myopia because of all the close reading they do and time spent on the computer. This is all speculation, but just throwing that theory out there.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
I'd say it's the opposite.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:23 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Quote:
Because you "Americanized Asians," are actually Americans, just like anyone who isn't FOB from whatever country their ancestors originated.

Quote:
It's considered a cute pose in China/Taiwan/Japan. Same for making "moe" lips. Child-like is the ideal for girls, and effeminate is the ideal for boys over there. Eye contact is considered rude, and so is making large gestures or strides.

Quote:
2nd+ generation Asian-Americans have fatter faces, thicker arms/legs, and are generally heftier and taller than their FOB or overseas counterparts. It's most noticeable in the facial shape (rounder chins/jowls, less defined cheekbones).

Quote:
Yes.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:42 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:

When it comes to Asians who are in the US to go to college, well, they probably look "nerdier" because they are nerdier, all the same that many of the white, black, or hispianic kids you see on a university campus are "nerdier" than average. Go to Westminster, which is a mostly Vietnamese suburb of LA/Long Beach, and many of not most of the dudes walking around look like bros or b-boys; the girls look like bro-ho's or import models, even the ones who were born in Vietnam. The "nerdier" ones live in dorms or moved out of the area after they finished school. You see a similar effect in the SGV, which is heavily Chinese, or Koreatown, which is heavily Korean.

I've known lots of Asian-American girls who do the peace-sign thing in pictures, and a lot of Asian-American guys who do the thumb-and-index-finger-under-the-chin. It's just a thing to do in pictures.

I think it's pretty clear that growing up in an Anglophone country influences Asians who are born and/or raised there to be more "Western," because they are inundated with that culture, language, etc as soon as they exit their home, even if at home they preserve their familial culture. They'll all preserve certain things one way or the other as everyone's different; I've met dudes who emigrated to the US from Korea in their early teens and now drive a Mustang, listen to rock music, and think Asian food is "weird;" I've known a half-Japanese girl who spoke fluent Japanese, preferred Japanese food to Western food, preferred to sleep on a futon and sit on the floor to eat, and generally said that she felt "more Japanese than American." There's no singular formula as to how the chips fall when it comes to how people integrate into a society they're born into, let alone emigrate to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli
I think not caring about how the look is 100 times better than not caring about their grades/GPAs, don't you think so?

Maybe the mainstream American culture is all about looking pretty and sexy and getting laid, fortunately Asians realize that there is something far more important than that. The pathetic American culture seems to be telling kids every day that being good at math and science is a bad thing, while being sleek with ladies not caring about school is cool - there is a name for the latter - losers.

Those nerdy Asian kids eventually get into Princeton and MIT while playing 3 music instruments, while the cool kids end up waiting tables or fixing cars at the age of 45.
Mmm, no, this is orientalism, which really isn't very respectful of Asian culture because it's relying on the same stereotypes of nerdiness and studiousness, just viewing it from a sympathetic light rather than a critical one. If you're an American, then it's frought with self-loating; if you're not, then it's just going off of torrid stereotypes, and either way, it's a cartoonishly, spitefully inaccurate synopsis of American culture, which is much more complex than I'm sure you're willing to admit.

Moreover, I'm over here, living in Asia right now. About 60% of the women under 30 wear yoga pants to show off their figure; the other 40% wear tight jeans. Most of them have perfect hair, a good third of them have it dyed another color, and a majority of them wear makeup to some degree or another. Most young guys here also have very trendy, styled hair, go nuts for Jordans and Nikes, and dress in a very fashion-conscious sense. Whether you go to a university campus or stick to the local strip mall, that's about what you'll see. At GZ university, there's the same sort of pecking order you see on a US university campus of nerdy kids who throw everything into the trash bin and have their lives revolve around academia, and the ones who can hold their appearance and social lives together but will graduate all the same as their classmates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia