U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country do you like better?
Japan 116 62.37%
South Korea 70 37.63%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 01:50 PM

3,734 posts, read 3,846,240 times

Advertisements

Korea is better for food and internet/gaming culture. The rest I will give to Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 02:09 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
May be off topic but I see relatively few Korean women married to Americans here.
Most Japanese women I know here have an American husband. In fact all Japanese women I personally know here in the US are either single or married to a white man.

(I understand Japanese women are less likely to immigrate to the US unless they have an American husband.)
I lived in South Korea for a long time, and some foreigners definitely married Koreans. But, Koreans strongly dislike it, and will routinely give the couple a lot of grief about it.

Generally speaking, I knew a lot of foreigners who'd marry Korean wives, and it was kind of their death sentence with Korea, and basically knew it was time to move on with the Korean spouse, if the Korean spouse had enough skills to survive somewhere else.

Whereas in Japan, I met WAY MORE foreigners with Japanese spouses AND KIDS...and they had no intention of leaving Japan. Society seemed to deal way better with the concept in Japan.

I'm not saying Japan is without problems in this, but I'm basically saying that the problems with South Korea in this regard are way way way worse. I cannot even fathom what it would be like to start a family in South Korea with a Korean wife. Whereas when I lived in Japan, I liked the idea quite a bit!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:45 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I lived in South Korea for a long time, and some foreigners definitely married Koreans. But, Koreans strongly dislike it, and will routinely give the couple a lot of grief about it.

Generally speaking, I knew a lot of foreigners who'd marry Korean wives, and it was kind of their death sentence with Korea, and basically knew it was time to move on with the Korean spouse, if the Korean spouse had enough skills to survive somewhere else.

Whereas in Japan, I met WAY MORE foreigners with Japanese spouses AND KIDS...and they had no intention of leaving Japan. Society seemed to deal way better with the concept in Japan.

I'm not saying Japan is without problems in this, but I'm basically saying that the problems with South Korea in this regard are way way way worse. I cannot even fathom what it would be like to start a family in South Korea with a Korean wife. Whereas when I lived in Japan, I liked the idea quite a bit!
I'd say Japan is a good country to raise kids and start a family, it's the only country in Asia that is on par with Europe or Canada, no contest, while South Korea really isn't.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:42 PM

183 posts, read 209,992 times
As a Korean I would agree that Japan would be friendlier for foreigners who wish to live there.
Even during the Joseon dynasty (modern Korea's predecessor) Korea was known as the "hermit kingdom" as my ancestors refused to mingle with the west.
That mentality still persists, albeit to a lesser extent.
Living standards are pretty much the same, having been to both.
Actually, you would get more bang for your buck in Seoul than in Tokyo.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:00 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Is the problem mostly with non-Asians marrying Koreans, or just non-Koreans period? Do you think this is as a result of south Korea being a new destination for foreign expats, whereas Japan has already had a generation or 2 of experiencing mixed households and, thus, more open minded (relatively speaking, for Asia)

Old 09-25-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Is the problem mostly with non-Asians marrying Koreans, or just non-Koreans period? Do you think this is as a result of south Korea being a new destination for foreign expats, whereas Japan has already had a generation or 2 of experiencing mixed households and, thus, more open minded (relatively speaking, for Asia)
It's all non-Koreans.
We do not discriminate between foreigners.
We discriminate them all. Lol.
More seriously, it's historic, being squeezed in between China and Japan, Koreans have a strong "us" attitude.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:52 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
It's all non-Koreans.
We do not discriminate between foreigners.
We discriminate them all. Lol.
More seriously, it's historic, being squeezed in between China and Japan, Koreans have a strong "us" attitude.
Is it like most other countries in the world, the discriminator is a male? This is strange though, since I heard South Korean men are "importing" Asian wives from Vietnam in recent years because Korean women aren't so interested in Korean men.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:02 PM

I think it's a generational thing.
The younger generation is much more open-minded. And it's not that Korean women do not like Korean men, on the contary, most of my girlfriends only date Korean men and find other races unattractive.
It's normally the unattractive or uneducated, or unwealthy who resort to foreign brides.
And although these women come to Korea with big hopes and dreams once here they will face the same problem like any other foreigner
I heard after a few years when they get fluent in Korean and learn the cutoms it gets better though.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:55 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Non-Koreans period.

But, there is a huge double-standard. As tons of poor countryside Korean older males are marrying much poorer southeast Asian women in record numbers. The rate of intermarriage with 'mail-order bridges' is astronomical these days. That being said, the women when they come to Korea, are supposed to 100% become Korean. There is no celebration or value to learn or retain the Vietnamese or Cambodian or Filipino cultures. They basically have to act Korean, and raise their kids Korean, and cook and prepare Korean foods.

But if a Korean woman tries to date or marry outside of Korean male, then they'll get an excessive amount of grief and ill will from their Korean counterparts walking around in society. Korean males can be very openly hostile towards the Korean female who chooses to spend time in public with a foreign male.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:53 AM

96 posts, read 99,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
it's an island nation and as such was able to develop unique cultural attributes that most mainland nations share or overlap.
What are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or