U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country do you like better?
Japan 116 62.37%
South Korea 70 37.63%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 03:02 AM

6,631 posts, read 8,315,973 times

Advertisements

Two of the best countries in the world. Some of the best cities on the planet are in these countries with headliners like Tokyo, Seoul, and Osaka. Even Nagoya and Busan are stellar places in their own right.

I'm actually taking a year off and holding off on my career and exploring more of the United States and some of the nearby places (Canada and starting to have an interest in Latin America). Next year I will start graduate school and after I finish two years after that I intend on moving to either Tokyo or Seoul. Where I plan on residing for 3 - 5 years. I've had an interest in both Japanese and Korean culture since I was young, I like the cultures and customs too, and of course the stability of true first world world class urban environments is too great to pass up. Non-violent societies and high concentration of modernity and technology. I'll be there on the Talk and Jet programs at first but then will naturally transition to my field of work in programming / computer software coding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 01:10 PM

2,501 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareno999 View Post
What are you talking about?
i'm not sure where your confusion lies?

Old 10-03-2014, 09:54 PM

260 posts, read 316,133 times
Both countries sound great! I haven't been to either one, but I have taken a strong interest in Korea lately and would love to visit there. But I heard they get the siberian weather in winter, which is a huge downside for me. I've always been interested in Japan however, and have taken several Japanese language and culture classes in high school and college. Which one is better imo? I love the traditions of both cultures and would love to experience it, so I would have to hold off until I have an experience for myself. Though it sounds like Japan seems a lot more friendly towards gaijin than Koreans!

Old 10-03-2014, 10:18 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
I wouldn't wanna live in either, but I wouldn't mind visiting. I pick Japan because, South Korea's neighbour scares me! Though yet again, South Korea still has Oreo-Os!

Old 11-16-2014, 09:22 PM

770 posts, read 731,800 times
Spent time in both countries and Japan by a landslide.

S. Korea, well especially Seoul is a facade. It's a more moderen replica of Tokyo, but still pales in comparison. Tokyo is my favorite city that I've ever been to mainly because of how sterile, organized, and perfect everything is. It is literally a uptoia. Seoul is very dirty, disorganized, uneducated and clumbsy. It just feels like a very cheap immitation of Tokyo. From all the men wearing $80 suits, to all the women that have facial reconstructive and calf reduction surgeries. S. Korea just tries way too hard to be like Japan. Japan has been there and done that. S. Korea is definitely growing quickly and they are in the midst of their agricultural revolution right now, but to me S. Korea just felt like an enchanced more balanced version of China. And in some regards, China is much better, but China also has a laundry list of disgusting disturbing behaviors and practices as well.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:18 AM

1,019 posts, read 895,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I wouldn't wanna live in either, but I wouldn't mind visiting. I pick Japan because, South Korea's neighbour scares me! Though yet again, South Korea still has Oreo-Os!
Locals don't care about North Korea. It's like a normal thing to them. I was in Seoul last year when there was strong tension between North and South and I'm scared but they don't mind it as in literally don't mind it.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:28 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Locals don't care about North Korea. It's like a normal thing to them. I was in Seoul last year when there was strong tension between North and South and I'm scared but they don't mind it as in literally don't mind it.
Well, it's something they've lived with their entire lives.

I experienced that when I lived in South Korea as well. My first year in South Korea, I was with other first-year people, and they were all regularly panicking with every single news story that came out in the international media.

But, year in, year out, day in, day out, you just see that life continues the exact same way regardless of the news. It's kind of like being in the U.S. and being worried that 'terrorists are going to strike' because they play it on Fox News everyday for decades. It might be alerting the first couple times you've heard the story, but after you've heard it 25+ times, it wears thin, and you just don't react to it anymore.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:57 PM

5 posts, read 8,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post

S. Korea, well especially Seoul is a facade. It's a more moderen replica of Tokyo, but still pales in comparison. Tokyo is my favorite city that I've ever been to mainly because of how sterile, organized, and perfect everything is. It is literally a uptoia. Seoul is very dirty, disorganized, uneducated and clumbsy. It just feels like a very cheap immitation of Tokyo. From all the men wearing $80 suits, to all the women that have facial reconstructive and calf reduction surgeries. S. Korea just tries way too hard to be like Japan. Japan has been there and done that. S. Korea is definitely growing quickly and they are in the midst of their agricultural revolution right now, but to me S. Korea just felt like an enchanced more balanced version of China. And in some regards, China is much better, but China also has a laundry list of disgusting disturbing behaviors and practices as well.

I just registered to reply to your comment
from a korean, i find your comment very biased and prejudiced.
I dont know whats calf reduction, but i do know due to korean wave or what it is called, many
tourists from china, taiwan , japan would love to go facial reconstruction and shopping (whereas many people in gangnam and esp. myeongdong now you here mandarine/cantonese more than korean) --than sightseeing in
korean local city where the air is more cleaner, and with more cultural relics. and more friendly people too.

Ive lived also in Japan for a year , and i would have to say Japan is the most developed technically from a western point of view -among asian countries, but that does not mean other asian countries are just a copy of them.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:16 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,382,929 times
I think I would prefer Japan over South Korea myself.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:41 AM

2,025 posts, read 2,350,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post

Wow...amazing how much ignorance can be squeezed into one rambling Internet post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or