U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country do you like better?
Japan 116 62.37%
South Korea 70 37.63%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 01:17 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,351,665 times

Advertisements

This article sums it up pretty well:

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...foodie-culture

I digress in that it's perpetuated by everyone and not just white people, but otherwise, yeah. Who cares if the kimchi (which is originally Korean) was made in Japan or LA? Who cares if the sushi (originally Japanese) was made by a Korean? Is it good? Yes? Case closed... people care so much about its "authenticity," they don't seem to actually care if it's any good, even though they can't really draw the line at where this authenticity begins or ends.

"Damn, there are too many black people here, I'm not going in" is equal to "damn, there's no nihonjin/kankokujin here, I'm not going in." It is indeed bigoted and racist.

Try making a bowl of ramen or udon on your own. It takes about five to ten minutes, and you can do it with ingredients from Safeway or Albertsons, and it's quite liberating and satisfying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 02:50 PM

2,682 posts, read 906,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
This article sums it up pretty well:

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...foodie-culture

I digress in that it's perpetuated by everyone and not just white people, but otherwise, yeah. Who cares if the kimchi (which is originally Korean) was made in Japan or LA? Who cares if the sushi (originally Japanese) was made by a Korean? Is it good? Yes? Case closed... people care so much about its "authenticity," they don't seem to actually care if it's any good, even though they can't really draw the line at where this authenticity begins or ends.

"Damn, there are too many black people here, I'm not going in" is equal to "damn, there's no nihonjin/kankokujin here, I'm not going in." It is indeed bigoted and racist.

Try making a bowl of ramen or udon on your own. It takes about five to ten minutes, and you can do it with ingredients from Safeway or Albertsons, and it's quite liberating and satisfying
What in hell are you talking about?

Obviously you don't read so well. I made no reference to the actual patrons in restaurants. I only referenced who's making the food and that was specifically between Korean and Japanese, ONLY!

Old 12-22-2015, 08:05 PM

919 posts, read 602,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Maybe depends on what part of Japan you talk with people about this. When living in Japan, I was in the Yokohama/Tokyo area. I've met plenty of Japanese who say this.
Now I'm in Saitama. I just asked a few and all of them laughed me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
How about Korean's saying that they invented sushi. Have you met any of them that said this? I've met plenty of them that have said this too.
Do you read Chinese? If you do, 韓國起源論 is for you.

They insist they invented Japanese language and even language itself, Chinese characters, and the origin of the human race was in Korea.

You said Sushi? You don't have to ask that question.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:13 PM

2,682 posts, read 906,140 times
I know Saitama and have been there plenty of times. I don't recall anyone in Saitama saying anything about kimchi. It was during casual discussion in Yokohama and Tokyo area, but not Saitama

In regards to the written language, well that is Kanji and it does have slight variations in Japan but it actually came from China. However, the Japanese did "invent" Hiragana and Katakana. From what I've been lead to believe, one or both were created by Japanese women for Japanese women. At one time only men were educated in Japan and they learned Kanji which derrived from Chinese characters. So the Japanese women created the Hiragana and/or Katakana so they could communicate with each other in writing. In modern time, Hiragana and Katakana is used just as frequently as Kanji. Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana is all used in the same writings, each are used to serve a specific purpose, like Katakana seems to be used primarily for foreign words and words the Japanese do not have in their own language.

You know this and probably more. I'm just running it past you and you can tell me how accurate or not that info is.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:57 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,069,295 times
Koreans after changing the face, to invade Japan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evenks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eLe-rxOSlg

We made a breakwater in Russia & North Korea.
Never the Korean Peninsula is to unify.
Japan is monitoring all the people who live in the Japanese archipelago.

Last edited by japanese001; 12-23-2015 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 08:08 AM

900 posts, read 630,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Now I'm in Saitama. I just asked a few and all of them laughed me

Do you read Chinese? If you do, 韓國起源論 is for you.

They insist they invented Japanese language and even language itself, Chinese characters, and the origin of the human race was in Korea.

You said Sushi? You don't have to ask that question.
Some Japanese and Chinese are simply frustrated and are saying anything that could discredit a country.

Listen, I am pretty sure Japan and China all did the same thing, trying to justify the unjustifiable as well. I wonder why there would just be Koreans doing some Historical claims when Japan justified a war and its practices during that period or when China tries to justify that it's the best country in the world.

Since there is no difference, I see no value to add that topic in the discussion.

Now can we move to a more fruitful discussions based on personal experiences or greater understanding of those countries instead of relying on propaganda?

Old 12-24-2015, 10:43 PM

8 posts, read 4,729 times
confused to select, as are equally good and has a unique culture

Old 01-03-2016, 08:22 PM

919 posts, read 602,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Listen, I am pretty sure Japan and China all did the same thing, trying to justify the unjustifiable as well.
Would you teach me some? Thanks.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:10 AM

76 posts, read 53,982 times
Food: I like Japanese food better. Although there are some Japanese dishes that I don't like such as Japanese style curry, Japanese style fried noodle, Japanese style bread (except anpan bread), Japanese style spaghetti, and some other Yoshoku Japanese dishes. The Japanese seafood dishes are often very tasty, although I dislike blow fish sushi.

Not a fan of Korean food because Korean food to me looks rather messy and smells awkward. And I am also disgusted with Kimchi, sorry to say this, I don't like Kimchi at all. The only Korean dish that I like is Korean instant noodle (Shim Ramyun).

Infrastructure: I find Korean infrastructure often looks newer compared to Japanese infrastructures which is understandable because Japan developed earlier than Korea. Japanese infrastructure may look older, but at least they are very well-maintained. I was impressed by how the Japanese maintained their train station.

Life style: Equally fast-paced and busy, although Japan's life style to be slightly better than Korea because Japan has slightly better work life balance than Korea. Japan's work life balance used to be pretty bad, but lately the Japanese showed improvement on the work life balance.

Education: Equally stressful, average Japanese and Korean students have very stressful school life because Japanese and Korean education systems put very high expectation on the students. Also, Japanese and Korean education systems also still have problem with route-learning and pressure-cooker style teaching methods.

People: I find Japanese to be more pleasant people than Koreans because the Japanese on average are more civilized, more intelligent, and nicer than Koreans. Although I sometimes the Japajese to be rather too uptight and stoic for my liking. Koreans are sometimes a bit rude and ignorant, especially the older generation although the younger generation Koreans are not bad.

Technology: Japanese technology is better because the Japanese invented more creative technology than Koreans. Korean technology is getting better lately, but still lagging compared to Japanese in terms of creativity.

Environment: Japan is better because has more greenery areas than Korea and the Japanese are more concerned than Koreans about their environment.

Culture: I find Japanese culture to be quite fascinating, Korean culture is okay.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:00 PM

721 posts, read 298,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Which of these two countries do you like better and why? Which do you like better as far as scenery, activities, culture, cities, etc.? I just got back to Japan from Seoul. Korea certainly is an interesting country with many things to see. The food is really good too (bulgogi and kalbi). Overall, I like Japan better since it is cleaner and the people are a little friendlier, imo.
Japan. The people can be kind of quirky, which adds to the experience of visiting Japan. It is larger and longer too, so it has more variety in terms of geography/scenery. Dealing with the Japanese people is much easier than dealing with Koreans too. I agree that they seem friendlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or