U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country do you like better?
Japan 116 62.37%
South Korea 70 37.63%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:20 AM

254 posts, read 1,079,609 times

Advertisements

I voted for South Korea over Japan, just because I found it easier and less expensive for me to get around Seoul compared with Tokyo. I still love both countries. Outside of the big cities, I would probably choose Japan, but I definitely love spending my free time in and around Seoul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 PM

34 posts, read 174,164 times
I think Japanese people are more friendly and approachable, but they are actually more racist (there are many restaurants even hotels where foreigners are not allowed), whereas Koreans are more cold and upfront, if they don't like you they are not afraid to show it.

I found it easier to get around in Seoul as there are more street signs in English, as well as more English speaking people based on my experiences. If you go to many of the local restaurants in both countries, there are no English on the menu so ordering can pose a difficulty.

Both countries are very clean, aside from in Korea they throw the garbage on the street waiting for the trash people to come pick it up (but all trash are sorted), it makes the street look like a small dump for a couple of hours.

Party and drinking scene is better in Korea, people are big drinkers and there are lots of places to drink and eat. In Japan, some of the clubs if you can't speak Japanese they won't let you in.

Food wise, i love food from both country, so I can't choose between one.
Cultural attraction wise, I think both are very similar - you go see palaces and historic places. Both countries have their unique traditions which you can see at traditional performances.

Transportation in both countries are very efficient and easy to use, they reach all areas of the city.

It is a little cheaper in Seoul, so that kind of make or breaks how much fun you get to have if you are on a tight budget.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 PM

527 posts, read 1,544,646 times
I like Japan.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,282 times
Default Definitely, south korea

I love South Korea more than Japan because Korean people are more honest.

I don't like the way of Japanese people speaking.

Japanese people are always telling a lie, and they are pretending to speak honestly.

If they say I like it, you will never know that they say the truth or not,

and they seem like they are always honest, and humble.

But actually, they are not

Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,217,358 times
I haven't been to either and voted Japan, but I would say that they are nearly equal in my list. I think they are both awesome and I'd love to visit both.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:14 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,837,768 times
Japan and South Korea have some similarities but both have plenty of differences too and offer a different experience from each other.

I like both Japan and South Korea and both are interesting and appealing.

However, I like Japan even more than South Korea. Japan offers a bit more vibrancy and variety in culture, activities, scenery, and cities/towns.

South Korea still has plenty to see even if it may be a bit less than Japan. I also like that South Korea seems more undiscovered, mysterious, and underrated for foreigners compared to Japan which sometimes feels like such an open book.

South Korea also seems to have more affordable places compared to Japan. I like Japan’s spiritual/religious demographics but I like South Korea’s spiritual/religious demographics even more with being a mixed Christian/Buddhist/and Secular nation.

Both countries make my top 25 favorite countries list but Japan is somewhere around 6th to 12th place and a bit higher on that list while South Korea is somewhere between 16th to 22nd place for me.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 04-17-2012 at 10:58 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 11:32 PM

22,102 posts, read 23,627,108 times
I prefer Japan by a pretty large margin. I like the food more and I think the culture is more interesting due to developing on an insular archipelago. It also seems to have more variety stretching from Okinawa to Hokkaido.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:49 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
I've lived in both and like both.

I prefer Japan though.

But I miss Korean food, and Korea is more lively at night. But I like Japan's sense of aesthetics, the beauty of the country, the people, the cuture, etc.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 2,500,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelee324 View Post
If you go to many of the local restaurants in both countries, there are no English on the menu so ordering can pose a difficulty.
Sorry but why would you even expect to see English on the menus in a non-English speaking country?

Old 09-04-2014, 02:02 AM

5 posts, read 6,375 times
Umm major thing. Japan is good for people who like islands. Korea is good for people who like small mountains and asian tombs and architecture. To live, Korea is basically more safe in terms of nature, but then Japan has less threat of nuclear attack- though they have major leaks and near range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or