U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which country do you like better?
Japan 116 62.37%
South Korea 70 37.63%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2014, 10:13 AM
 
6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Reputation: 2386

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
regarding immigrants...both countries are EXTREMELY racial in their thinking although the younger generation is changing fast. I don't think either society is ready for American style I migration, but at least they should implement a green card system of permanent residency for those who have lived and worked there. Two examples on how Xenophobia hurts these countries...

One friend of mine in Korea, an American man, married to a Chinese..lived here for almost twenty years. Two kids, born in Seoul, fluent in Chinese, English and Korean. Very successful entrepreneur, has made millions here. He tried to get permanent residency for himself and family and was denied because no one has Korean blood. kids born here! Fluent in Korean....Anyhow, he could stay here indefinitely as a foreign investor, but on behalf of his kids futures...is repatriating to the States with his millions. Korea loses. Meanwhile, a Korean farmer can mail order a Vietnamese peasant bride...no problem.


Another friend of mine is an Ivy-league educated woman I met in Japan. she loves Japan and became fluent in Japanese. eventually she married a Japanese man and they had their first child in Tokyo. she is white so the child is mixed race. They decided in the interest of the kid, that it would be better to raise their kid in the States. Too much discrimination and teasing against mixed race kids in Japan. Well, now, 15 years later, she and her husband have three kids, all geniuses heading for big things.


in both cases, Korea and Japan lose very talented people who want to be part of those societies.. And America wins. those societies narrow self-definition means they will continue to shrink and lose influence unless they open their minds and doors to more non-natives.
I understand your point. However, immigrants to the US will not challenge US (or western) culture, but if South Korea accepts many immigrants from other parts of the world, their culture can face real danger.

Also, East Asia is extremely crowded and competitive. Many expats do well just because they are "expats" and treated differently. If they fully assimilate, their next generation may lose the edge. Do they really want their children to study as hard as Koreans and compete with them? In East Asian countries, it is normal for students to study over 10 hours a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2014, 10:29 AM
 
2,025 posts, read 2,350,253 times
Reputation: 1956
well...first of all....the examples I gave are of highly educated intelligent people....with IQs well above the Japanese and Koreean averages. I am quite sure their kids could outsmart the vast majority of locals. Plus they are natively bi or tri-lingual.

And I think both countries need to see themselves as cultures more than ethnic tribes....they should have more self-confidence. these things take time.

When I first came to Korea in the 90's I heard ridiculous things such as foreigners are not capable of learning The Korean language....that was very common to hear. no one says such crap now...takes time for people to expand their horizons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 02:10 PM
 
215 posts, read 286,302 times
Reputation: 151
I prefer Japan, I think Japanese culture is fascinating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
1,019 posts, read 895,028 times
Reputation: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
well...first of all....the examples I gave are of highly educated intelligent people....with IQs well above the Japanese and Koreean averages. I am quite sure their kids could outsmart the vast majority of locals. Plus they are natively bi or tri-lingual.

And I think both countries need to see themselves as cultures more than ethnic tribes....they should have more self-confidence. these things take time.

When I first came to Korea in the 90's I heard ridiculous things such as foreigners are not capable of learning The Korean language....that was very common to hear. no one says such crap now...takes time for people to expand their horizons.
But inorder to have a rapid growth, Japan needs high skilled workers not the highly educated with PHD's. Take note, they are in shortage of labor not minds.

Japan like Norway and other Scandinavian countries has a very high literacy rate, huge percentage finished at least a bachelors degree.

But these countries also need skilled workers for constructions, services, factory workers. What alternatives can you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 10:20 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
But inorder to have a rapid growth, Japan needs high skilled workers not the highly educated with PHD's. Take note, they are in shortage of labor not minds.

Japan like Norway and other Scandinavian countries has a very high literacy rate, huge percentage finished at least a bachelors degree.

But these countries also need skilled workers for constructions, services, factory workers. What alternatives can you suggest?
Japan's investing in robotic technology, and is probably the undisputed leader of such. Having less people is a blessing for Japan. Their people will finally have breathing room after living in such crowded conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 11:02 PM
 
2,025 posts, read 2,350,253 times
Reputation: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
But inorder to have a rapid growth, Japan needs high skilled workers not the highly educated with PHD's. Take note, they are in shortage of labor not minds.

Japan like Norway and other Scandinavian countries has a very high literacy rate, huge percentage finished at least a bachelors degree.

But these countries also need skilled workers for constructions, services, factory workers. What alternatives can you suggest?

Japan is also in desperate need of people with an international mindset,with confident outgoing personalities and advanced language skills to promote their products abroad. One reason Korea is doing better is that in general individual Koreans express more confidence...Japanese can be very shy and hesitant to express themselves, which does not help in a globalize market.

More Koreans are now studying abroad than are Japanese...even though Korea is not even half the population of Japan. Amyhow, the example I mentioned of my American friend and her Japanese husband is telling. He went to Waseda, she went to Princeton...and they have three amazing children. Those children are now totally American. They wanted to stay in Japan and raise their children there but felt the Japanese focus on race is too intense still, and felt their children would grow up more comfortably in America. Multiply such cases by thousands and this is a great loss for Japan (and Korea) in the long run. Most of the westerners that marry Japanese and Koreans come to the countries as professionals, teachers, diplomats, business people. They are highly educated and international....The countries should be doing everything to keep them and their families (and wealth) in the countries...but too often the opposite hapPens and the vast majority leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
1,019 posts, read 895,028 times
Reputation: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Japan's investing in robotic technology, and is probably the undisputed leader of such. Having less people is a blessing for Japan. Their people will finally have breathing room after living in such crowded conditions.
Robotic technology is a fully developed technology if we are talking about machinery/integrated system that process the raw materials into finish products. And Japan leads this technology for decades. But why Japanese companies despite these developed robotic technologies still prefer to facilitate in other countries such as China?

Looking at the past decades, the economic growth of Japan is close to flat if not shrinked. That is why PM Abe is strategizing the economy via his "Abenomics" because this "Lost Decade" of Japan is alarming. The rise of China hurt Japan economy big time. But how can Japan compete with China where almost every resources are present?

If these trend continues for Japan, no economic breaktrhoughs in the coming years, China will eat them ailive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2014, 10:22 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Robotic technology is a fully developed technology if we are talking about machinery/integrated system that process the raw materials into finish products. And Japan leads this technology for decades. But why Japanese companies despite these developed robotic technologies still prefer to facilitate in other countries such as China?

Looking at the past decades, the economic growth of Japan is close to flat if not shrinked. That is why PM Abe is strategizing the economy via his "Abenomics" because this "Lost Decade" of Japan is alarming. The rise of China hurt Japan economy big time. But how can Japan compete with China where almost every resources are present?

If these trend continues for Japan, no economic breaktrhoughs in the coming years, China will eat them ailive.
China is gonna suffer a demographic crisis too in the near future due to their decades long one-child policy. One day Chinese workers will become too valuable to produce low value added products, and move on to higher value products and services like the West is doing. The Western notion that millions of poor, low skilled workers are needed is most likely never going to happen in eastern Asia. Countries, and industries, evolve, and people must evolve with them. China is also not as an innovative country like Japan is. China is not going to eat Japan alive, until they dump the communist system they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2014, 10:28 AM
 
6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Reputation: 2386
Japan has pretty bad relationships with China and South Korea, which will hurt Japan.
Especially in South Korea, Japanese cars cannot sell. Samsung does not do well in Japan either.

When I was a child, Japanese products were everywhere in China. Not any more.

Last edited by Bettafish; 09-17-2014 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2014, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Reputation: 4555
^However China remains the biggest destination of Japan's export,and South Korea is the 3rd.
Money speaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top