U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 06:21 AM

12 posts, read 86,231 times

Advertisements

I am interested in finding an upscale area to stay, safety (even at night), upscale shopping (Chanel, Hermes, LV etc.), Istanbul theater and opera. Middle aged or older crowd, preferbaly mostly europeans/ americans. Not interested in crazy nightlife and clubbing. Any restaurant recommendations greatly appreciated. How is Sultanahmet area?

Last edited by tork101; 07-25-2009 at 06:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 07:59 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,945,126 times
Grand Bazaar Istanbul

This is the place,I have spent many happy hours here!!

Old 07-25-2009, 02:13 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,302,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tork101 View Post
I am interested in finding an upscale area to stay, safety (even at night), upscale shopping (Chanel, Hermes, LV etc.), Istanbul theater and opera. Middle aged or older crowd, preferbaly mostly europeans/ americans. Not interested in crazy nightlife and clubbing. Any restaurant recommendations greatly appreciated. How is Sultanahmet area?
When I was around the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace, I felt completely safe. I wasn't there at night, but I am pretty sure the Turkish police take security in that area very seriously. At Ephesos they had the Jandarma with automatic rifles. The officers were very excited to see me due to my beard, and offered cheerful greetings. At no time did I feel menaced in any way by any Turkish officialdom, even the port cops carrying submachineguns checking to make sure we had our Turkish Landing Cards.

I think the thing that rattles Americans in Istanbul is the frequent pestering by vendors, both inside and outside the bazaars. You simply have to accommodate to this and understand that it's the Turkish way, and learn how to say 'no, thanks' (hayir, tessekurler; pronounce every syllable with some emphasis, 'ha-year tesh-eh-kur-lair'). You may have to say it several times.

The thing is, in our culture they would be invading your personal space big time. In theirs, it is normal, and good salesmanship. But even if you don't buy anything, they appreciate it if the brush-off is friendly, and if you speak a single word of Turkish they are fascinated with you and will engage you in conversation. Are they just trying to get around to a second (fourth, etc) sales pitch? Yes and no. Most enjoy talking with someone who seems to 'get' the Turkish way, and are eager to hear what you have experienced and what you think. Most Turks seem very proud of the fact that they have a tremendous Islamic history, yet maintain a stable and secular republic. But yeah, there's probably another pitch coming. My advice to anyone who wants to walk around in an impenetrable cocoon until he or she decides it is time to initiate contact is simple: don't go to Istanbul. Open-minded, adventuresome people will probably have a blast.

I would think anywhere on or near the Golden Horn is pretty upscale. Saw some pretty fancy dwellings there, and our tour guides Amet and Ergin told us that the real estate prices there are simply stratospheric.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:38 PM

12 posts, read 86,231 times
What is golden Horn?

I've heard some people saying Sultanahmet is not really upscale and there are drunkards and homeless in the streets?

Old 06-18-2010, 01:15 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
When I was around the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace, I felt completely safe. I wasn't there at night, but I am pretty sure the Turkish police take security in that area very seriously. At Ephesos they had the Jandarma with automatic rifles. The officers were very excited to see me due to my beard, and offered cheerful greetings. At no time did I feel menaced in any way by any Turkish officialdom, even the port cops carrying submachineguns checking to make sure we had our Turkish Landing Cards.

I think the thing that rattles Americans in Istanbul is the frequent pestering by vendors, both inside and outside the bazaars. You simply have to accommodate to this and understand that it's the Turkish way, and learn how to say 'no, thanks' (hayir, tessekurler; pronounce every syllable with some emphasis, 'ha-year tesh-eh-kur-lair'). You may have to say it several times.

The thing is, in our culture they would be invading your personal space big time. In theirs, it is normal, and good salesmanship. But even if you don't buy anything, they appreciate it if the brush-off is friendly, and if you speak a single word of Turkish they are fascinated with you and will engage you in conversation. Are they just trying to get around to a second (fourth, etc) sales pitch? Yes and no. Most enjoy talking with someone who seems to 'get' the Turkish way, and are eager to hear what you have experienced and what you think. Most Turks seem very proud of the fact that they have a tremendous Islamic history, yet maintain a stable and secular republic. But yeah, there's probably another pitch coming. My advice to anyone who wants to walk around in an impenetrable cocoon until he or she decides it is time to initiate contact is simple: don't go to Istanbul. Open-minded, adventuresome people will probably have a blast.

I would think anywhere on or near the Golden Horn is pretty upscale. Saw some pretty fancy dwellings there, and our tour guides Amet and Ergin told us that the real estate prices there are simply stratospheric.
I also noticed this changes significantly once you get away from the tourist areas.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 AM

267 posts, read 764,193 times
Sultanahmet is very touristic and safe at night. Lot's of restaurants too.
More upscale area's are Beyoglu (around Taksim square), with the international shops, big hotels etc.
The business area is the Levant-area.

One tip: Beware of (younger) men inviting you for a drink. Especially when you are a blonde woman ;-)

Enjoy your stay in Istanbul. I've been there twice, but I want to go back. It is a very interesting city.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 11,491 times
historical peninsula and sultanahmet areas are not upscale. sprawl of istanbul is different than us cities. istanbul doesn't have a certain downtown. it is more like collection of nodes. taksim is one of the biggest node in european side. it may offer many things but it is not an upscale area. you can prefer tesvikiye or nisantasi area. these areas are near taksim. etiler area is another option for you.

above average turks never prefer sultanahmet or taksim areas to live in. sultanahmet area is a below upscale area with tourists. taksim attracts many people from different areas of istanbul during daytime. its residential texture is not good.

in general anotolian side is more tidious. most business centers are in european side (levent-maslak area). biggest node in anatolian side is kadikoy. most upscale areas in anotolian side are places around bagdat avenue(kalamis, suadiye,feneryolu etc). moda area in kadikoy is also a nice area and you can easily go everywhere from there. you can take a ferry to go besiktas or eminonu(historical peninsula).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or