U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:38 AM

242 posts, read 668,432 times

Advertisements

That's an interesting comparison. Never thought of those points.

Yeah, don't bother flirting in public. Just turn off those senses and go about your life. You may pull it off in a very unique situation, but in general it's just not going to work (ignored, awkwardness).

There are some really attractive women here, but if it looks like their outfit, hairstyle, and make up cost a fortune, I usually don't bother giving them more than a glance. I figure they're spending that much time and money to attract (Japanese) men with deep pockets and they're probably the least likely to know English. There are always exceptions though.

Something about the education system in Japan results in most people not being very deep, critical, etc. There is a near uniform go-with-the-flow attitude. You can see it in the politics as most parties are single issue based. The 2 main parties are nearly identical in ideology and the newer one is made up of people from the other party.

Japan has beautiful nature when you can see it. Forget about it in Tokyo, though supposedly they're going to improve that over the next 10 years. The summer heat in Tokyo is pretty rough and if the global warming predictions are true, it'll be 4 degrees (Celsius) warmer by 2050. I think the coastal areas of California win in terms of air temperature year round, but Japan wins in terms of nature (not including Tokyo).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 06:32 AM

3,669 posts, read 8,840,225 times
^ Yeah, the unique situations when I was able to strike up conversation with a girl in a place such as a train, train station, or bus, it didn't go anywhere, even if I was able to get her number. The other times the girl would feel uncomfortable or even a little scared or surprised. What I noticed with the Japanese girls is that just because they give you their number (usually by her cell phone and yours touching with the "seki gaisen" function), does not necessarily mean they have any intention of hooking up. They will usually be outwardly nice to you, though maybe the more Americanized or Westernized ones won't hesitate to say no. I've also noticed as you mentioned that the most attractive Japanese girls (the ones that dress classy and sexy in an attire such as skirts, stockings, and heels even at Disneyland on a hot summer day) do tend to go for the wealthy and trendy Japanese guys (not the guys you'll see at a convenience store looking at hentai magazines, or the otaku types, lol). The ones that like foreign men tend to have a Westernized look themselves, and dress more casually.

Yeah, Japan does have a lot of beautiful nature, and you don't have to go far from Tokyo to see it. You have the Tanzawa Mountains in the Kanagawa Prefecture to the Southwest, and then Hakone, Izu, and Mt. Fuji and surrounding forest and lakes just a little further in that direction. To the West you have Mt. Takao and another mountain range. To the north you have Nikko in Tochigi Prefecture and Ibaraki Prefecture has some beautiful countryside as well. Even Chiba has a lot of forests, hills, rice fields, and seaside nature. In fact, the Narita Airport is in a country area, but kind of far from Tokyo considering its the main airport of the area.

4 degrees Celsius warmer by 2050? That actually doesn't seem that bad. This summer actually feels 4 degrees hotter than last year's summer, lol.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:12 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,791,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

Yeah, Japan does have a lot of beautiful nature, and you don't have to go far from Tokyo to see it. You have the Tanzawa Mountains in the Kanagawa Prefecture to the Southwest, and then Hakone, Izu, and Mt. Fuji and surrounding forest and lakes just a little further in that direction. To the West you have Mt. Takao and another mountain range. To the north you have Nikko in Tochigi Prefecture and Ibaraki Prefecture has some beautiful countryside as well. Even Chiba has a lot of forests, hills, rice fields, and seaside nature. In fact, the Narita Airport is in a country area, but kind of far from Tokyo considering its the main airport of the area.
That reminds me of my home, Seattle . Except the rice fields. My wife's family lives in Odawara, and her dad loves driving in the Hakone mountains. I've enjoyed riding with him, as we've seen LOTS of really nice cars (think Lamborghinis, Ferraris, top-line German cars, and even some old American muscle cars and British sports cars) and motorcycles on that highway. It's expected, though, since that highway is known for it's wonderful roads, sparse police presence, and gorgeous views. At night there's LOTS of racing going on up there.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,069,636 times
I cannot make light of the power of the otaku.

YouTube - Culture Japan Episode 0: カルチャージャパン (1時間英語版)

Last edited by japanese001; 09-22-2010 at 12:20 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 11:07 AM

17 posts, read 28,072 times
My name is Brian. I am trying to find books about the Japanese Culture, current events, history, and their way of life. I just got done reading Tokyo Vice and I am currently reading Tokyo Underworld: The Fast Times and Hard Life of an American Gangster in Japan by Robert Whiting .
Does anyone have any recommendations for books about Japan???? Any websites that will help me learn more about Japan. Anygood youtube videos??? I love watching Tokyo Cooney’s videos. ….. Please feel free to email me at SMASHTALK@AOL.COM or post here........Thanks......Brian

Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM

219 posts, read 679,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashtalk View Post
My name is Brian. I am trying to find books about the Japanese Culture, current events, history, and their way of life. I just got done reading Tokyo Vice and I am currently reading Tokyo Underworld: The Fast Times and Hard Life of an American Gangster in Japan by Robert Whiting .
Does anyone have any recommendations for books about Japan???? Any websites that will help me learn more about Japan. Anygood youtube videos??? I love watching Tokyo Cooney’s videos. ….. Please feel free to email me at SMASHTALK@AOL.COM or post here........Thanks......Brian
+1 on Tokyo Coony's videos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia