U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:42 PM

895 posts, read 2,147,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
But don't you have to have a guarantor to get a room at a weekly mansion? I lived in one during my assignment in Tokyo in the 1990's and I had to use my company as a guarantor.

A guarantor is no simple matter since that information gets filed, iirc, with the Japanese justice ministry.
What? The name of the hotel or w/e is called "weekly mansion" lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM

500 posts, read 1,257,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-townChica View Post
It's considered rude. I witnessed a foreign man on a train blowing his nose and the LOOKS he got! If you do it indiscreetly, I'm sure you'll be okay. Try to go to the bathroom.

Man, I wish blowing your nose was considered rude here!
Wow. O.o On a train? Ah...

I recently just did my first bathroom trip in a yakitori place. Almost indiscreet, but hanged on. I'm going to have to practice at other authentic Japanese restaurants for awhile now. ^^; Hehe...

Old 08-31-2009, 09:49 PM

242 posts, read 669,218 times
Reading this is difficult for me as it reminds me what is cool about this country as I've come to focus on the negative recently. I think perhaps it's one of the most exciting and fun countries to visit, of to live in briefly, but is actually quite bleak to live in the long term, unless you luck out with a nice job with reasonable hours and vacation time. I think it's become common to see Japan as being so incredibly awesome, which is unfortunate. Many people come here or want to come here expecting some sort of paradise. I see a lot of denial here as well, as expected since it isn't so easy to pack everything up and come over here, so you want to convince yourself it's better than it really is. The vast majority of Japanese work long hours, even if technically they're contracted for 40. If you want to really fit in, you'll be expected to do the same. Not saying that's the case everywhere, but seems to be fairly common. Just to give an idea, this is the amount of hours worked per year in comparison to other countries: File:Yearly working time 2004.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I'm not sure this includes the undocumented normal overstay many people do.

It's cool there's so many people when you're young, but when you become a father and you're more concerned about family than doing fun stuff, I can see the constant overcrowding as a negative force. More people doesn't mean more friends either, and I think due to the number of people, you're in fact more likely to be ignored. It also rains here an insane amount. 1,466 mm a year, while most other major cities in the world have 400-800mm/year. This also affects mood and I think can wear a person down after many years. It's really beautiful here at times though, like sakura season, so long as it isn't raining on your day off when you want to go see them. And there is quite a lot to do if you have the time and money and don't mind overcrowding all the time.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:23 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,153,881 times
Im guilty of the eye-contact thing.... didnt mean to....but with a waitress or something its rather difficult for me not to look the person Im talking to in the eye. Quite a few met my eyes though...and I am guilty of staring on a couple of occasions, simply because I was curious about a person on the train. Now I feel guilty....

I HATE Japanese toilets though...>,<

Old 10-12-2009, 07:03 AM

700 posts, read 2,336,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Im guilty of the eye-contact thing.... didnt mean to....but with a waitress or something its rather difficult for me not to look the person Im talking to in the eye. Quite a few met my eyes though...and I am guilty of staring on a couple of occasions, simply because I was curious about a person on the train. Now I feel guilty....

I HATE Japanese toilets though...>,<

Japanese toilets? Seriously???

You must be talking about the "old-school" squatty ones....yes, hard to get used to.
BUT the modern "Washlet" is like a fantasy land for your backside...truly I just cannot believe that everyone wouldn't have one!

Washlet S400

Heated Seats....check
Multi speed cleaning jets....check
Sounds...(to hide yours)...check
Deodorant....check
Dryer....check

Truly a rearend spa!!

My wife and I are moving to Okinawa, so had to rent an apartment online, the one we are getting has a Toto Washlet....we danced for joy!

I love Japan...

Old 10-12-2009, 07:38 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,230,096 times
The squat ones are REAL old. Most toilets in Japan are SUPER-MODERN...the kind that make toilets everywhere else in the world archaic.

The old squat ones though, still very common in South Korea, China, etc.

Actually I'm a healthy person, so easy to squat like that. But a lot of westerners are too overweight for it. Personally, a squat toilet REALLY cleans up the system I lived in South Korea for years prior to coming over to Japan, so very familiar with them from over there - hardly ever see them here in Japan.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:26 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,153,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Japanese toilets? Seriously???

You must be talking about the "old-school" squatty ones....yes, hard to get used to.
BUT the modern "Washlet" is like a fantasy land for your backside...truly I just cannot believe that everyone wouldn't have one!

Washlet S400

Heated Seats....check
Multi speed cleaning jets....check
Sounds...(to hide yours)...check
Deodorant....check
Dryer....check

Truly a rearend spa!!

My wife and I are moving to Okinawa, so had to rent an apartment online, the one we are getting has a Toto Washlet....we danced for joy!

I love Japan...
No, I am talking about the ones with a bidet

Heated Seats....- Hate them, especially in a public restroom where it makes me think someone 's been sitting there before me for a while.
Multi speed cleaning jets....Hate those too. I HATE being sprayed! Especially when Ive pressed the wrong effing button at 4 am thinking it was the one to flush it. More buttons than a Playstation controller...
Sounds...(to hide yours)...Never encountered these, or if I did, didnt recognize/use it. Restroom was noisy enough in itself.
Deodorant....Never had this either...but really? Ass air-freshener? If someone is that close they need to back up!
Dryer....Never encountered this either, but...hell no. I dont want my butt blown on, anymore than I want it sprayed.

Too many buttons. I love everything about Japan except for the toilets. Was sooo happy to see one that didnt have any surprises or a virtual Super Soaker hiding under the seat.

Last edited by Colddiamond102; 10-12-2009 at 07:43 PM..

Old 10-15-2009, 03:26 PM

First of all, you dont need to press any buttons since the flush is the same so that shouldn't be an issue at all... Also I dont know how to put this but water is simply a cleaner way then only hand and paper. You take a shower not rub yourself with paper to get clean :P.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:54 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,809,162 times
It is interesting how bidets are used in Japan and France. I've never tried one but it was for fear of it hurting more than anything else ... I tried one out and it shot clear across the room. After that I was like "... well that will get you clean!"

And I kinda like the heated seats. Beats having a cold surface perk you up right before you do your business. But I also don't like super hot either.

And about the squat toilets being rare in Japan ... well, I wouldn't say "rare" ... they are still prevalent. In public places you'll see half western and half old school eastern. In the public parks sometimes there's only the old school. If you really want to experience Japan and mingle with the locals in their dives and holes in the walls, you will have to use the old school ones sometimes. I remember being in Kyoto with my wife and a friend and we stopped in one of her favorite restaurants and I excused myself to go to the washroom. I came out, super-embarrassed, and asked my wife to do a clothed demonstration in a private room how to use it. Later on I learned that the little bar in front is sometimes referred to as the "grunt bar" by foreigners. LOL.

Anyway my point is they still exist. Don't mind the personal story, I'm sleepy. I do agree though that all convenience stores and all train stations are pretty much all western style now.

How's it going NihonKitty?!

Moving on to a new subject, perhaps some people can give suggestions on what to do on a budget in Japan? Right now the exchange rate is ridiculous ... something like 88 yen to the dollar. Last time I went it 110! And the time before that 120! So basically I've lost 1/4 my purchasing power. And since I'm not independently wealthy, I'm curious about what some people would suggest we do on a budget, say $600 for a week? We found reasonable airfare (amazingly) now just time to figure out what to do. We won't need a hotel, we will stay at her parents' place.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:13 PM

It doesnt hurt at all, and you still use paper. It makes you much much cleaner then just using paper, trust me. I think it's gross people still rely on just their hand and paper and somehow think that they are clean.

Anyways what do you like to do...? There are tons of things to do, isnt your wife Japanese? I'm sure she will know the city youre staying in better then us and me. I only know alot about Wakayama and Osaka (and other kansai cities to a certain extent, and almost nothing about tokyo).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia