Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:46 PM

20 posts, read 52,079 times

Advertisements

I just came back home (Austin) from vacation in Japan. It's unbelievably depressing to be here in Central TX. I wish I could pack everything and just move to Japan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:57 PM

512 posts, read 1,183,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu is calling View Post
I just came back home (Austin) from vacation in Japan. It's unbelievably depressing to be here in Central TX. I wish I could pack everything and just move to Japan...
you digged up such an old thread just to tell us this..?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:29 PM

20 posts, read 52,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
I guess I shouldn't have as you sound to be bothered?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:

Everytime I travel I get the "Just got home, now I'm bored and sad in an odd way -Blues"

Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
Better than starting new thread.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:38 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times
Quote:
I don't blame you at all for the way that you feel. I felt the same way when I came back from my visit in 2005. Japan is such an incredibly fascinating and pretty country. It is certainly MUCH better than Los Angeles where I live now. Los Angeles can't even be compared to Japan. It is so inferior in many ways in comparison. Because I know practically almost no Japanese going there to live would be a challenge.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:32 PM

512 posts, read 1,183,397 times
Do you know how they treat depression in Sweden? They send people with depression to Russia or Kazakhstan for some period of time to some ugly, poorly cared cities and after they get back to Sweden they feel much happier. So maybe instead of going to Japan go to some gipsy village in Romania, then you'd stop complaining about Austin

Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 PM

241 posts, read 742,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I don't blame you at all for the way that you feel. I felt the same way when I came back from my visit in 2005. Japan is such an incredibly fascinating and pretty country. It is certainly MUCH better than Los Angeles where I live now. Los Angeles can't even be compared to Japan. It is so inferior in many ways in comparison. Because I know practically almost no Japanese going there to live would be a challenge.
The grass is always greener. I live in Tokyo and remember my first day, week, month. The place was so different and exciting. But once it becomes your home, you'll notice many things that you didn't when you first came. For example, everywhere you go will be insanely crowded, especially on weekends and holidays (the time you'll most likely be free). Most entertainment costs a fortune, except window shopping. People's politeness in work settings is completely robotic. The likelihood you'll get a real conversation with someone in any store is almost 0. Foreigners are often not included in Japanese social circles unless a person has a strong fondness for foreigners, this is especially true for men. So, most foreigners hang out with other foreigners, and not because they want to. Not that you're missing much as they often work 50/60+ hours a week. Lack of green space and clean water spots. Mainly just endless concrete, which doesn't help in its 35C+ humid summers. Closest beaches have black sand, black water, and trash is all over. Rains quite a bit, 1500mm a year, except the peak of summer and winter. Tokyo visually in the daytime is quite ugly. Just small, bland looking rectangular buildings and tons of neon signs and wires, way too many Pachinko shops everywhere. It's beautiful in sort of a futuristic/Bladerunner way at night time though. There are many good points as well of course, just want to balance the discussion a bit.

I felt excited when I visited LA last year. City was right on beautiful beaches. Incredible weather. Otoh, the center of the city looked like run-down suburbia, the public transportation was horrible, noticeable poverty, homelessness, and wealth differences. NYC has beautiful architecture and everything is going on there, but it also has problems like LA. I have had good experiences in almost all places I've vacationed in, but before I start wishing I lived in them and comparing them to where I live now, I try to think of what life must be like once I've been there a year or longer. Sites like this help in that way.

Last edited by vaga bond; 08-06-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 07:07 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Quote:
I definitely agree this is "grass is always greener" syndrome.

Japan has a lot going for it. Most people are fit. I'm only "overweight" but I felt downright FAT there (I'm 5'8" and weigh about 170, and have been working out, so my frame is getting bigger). Most people eat healthily and lead active lifestyles (at least active getting to and from work, a minority of people drive a car in the big cities). The women are beautiful and know how to put on makeup. You don't see fat slobs with muffin tops or PJs strolling about with writing on the butt, saying "sexy" or some BS like that while the fat rolls out the side attest to that being incorrect. The people are genuinely more kind to others. You won't see a random incident on the road, like a guy almost getting rear ended, then getting out of his car IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAMN INTERSECTION AND STARTING TO CURSE AT THE PERSON BEHIND HIM WHILE HIS LIGHT IS NOW RED AND HOLDING UP TRAFFIC! You won't see rednecks carrying shotguns openly while sporting 3 teeth in a mouth and a wife and kids that all look like they have Down's syndrome (actually did see that in Tennessee). Japan EVERYWHERE is clean (well, except Tokyo) and everywhere in Japan makes the safest cities in the US look like crime ridden gas holes.

But Japan also has its problems. They are not teaching their children the horrors of what Japan did during WWII. They have a demographics problem that nobody seems to want to do anything about. They have an economy which is sucking and the government refuses to do anything to do anything about it in a meaningful way.

RE: Foreigners not making a lot of friends, a lot of this is because Japanese people have experienced meeting foreigners and find them rude. It's brutally honest, but true. At the very least, the foreigners don't know the customs or ways to discussing things or the social politik which is present in every society. Walking into a house and not taking off the shoes is a prime example. Yes, the politeness is forced in many situations, but society in Japan seeks to not rock the boat and seeks harmony at the expense of free speech of the individual (free speech of the group and the press is fiercely defended). It's hard to summarize in a paragraph, but I highly recommend actually looking at the foreigners that actually do befriend Japanese people and you'll get a new idea of what it means to "do as the Romans do", or in this case, as the Japanese do.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:51 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxonyou View Post
It's cool there's so many people when you're young, but when you become a father and you're more concerned about family than doing fun stuff, I can see the constant overcrowding as a negative force.
Sounds like you live in Tokyo - you also mentioned working long hours, commuting, and the crowding as well.

Japan is a HUGE country...just like not everyone who lives in America, lives in New York City, not everyone who lives in Japan is required to live in Tokyo.

I live out in the Japan countryside...have short work weeks, and I'm a Father...living in a fairly sizeable apartment - 4 rooms, balcony, etc.

I think people never seem to explore the many options of Japan - as about 95% of what I read about Japan, is always from a Tokyo perspective. Just like a person in NYC can move out of NYC for more space and less crowding, the same applies to Tokyo/Japan.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:55 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
my sumie class wants to visit tokyo on an art trip but the 5,000 dollar package is too high for most.
why so much?
Sounds like someone on the American side (or Japan side) is profiting immensily.

You are basically paying someone else to organize and do everything for you.

Fairly typical of ALL package tours, regardless of country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia