Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 05:27 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,376,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
I made this thread for everyone who is interested and has question about Japanese language,culture,history, travelling etc. )
Do you know of any reputable exchange programs for a high school student?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 10:35 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,815 times
How about good hotels with decent prices for two people?

Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
It depends on how you want to approach it.

There are a couple of backpacker type accomodations in Taito Ward in Tokyo next to that city's Skid Row (Sanya), though not as dangerous as its American counterparts. Very very cheap and very very difficult to book into because of the demand.

You can also look at Ryokan, which are typically family run places. Some won't book foreigners due to communication issues or just not being comfortable with them, though. You can search for them on the web. They are pretty spartan and mostly just places to sleep, but I think they're kind of cool.

The Comfort Inn Hotel in Shinsaibashi, Osaka is very reasonable if you're going there. It's about a five minute walk from the nearest subway station.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:51 AM

895 posts, read 2,365,993 times
I stayed in weekly mansion in ikebukuro tokyo and the price is around 60 dollars a night (for 2 people).

Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 PM

118 posts, read 485,582 times
Check out www.asiarooms.com I received a good deal for Shinjuku New City right in the heart of Shinkjuku. Great western style room and a nice cafe to people watch. It was around $70/night in an area where hotels are $200+ Play around with the dates too.

Quote:

Old 08-20-2009, 07:31 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-townChica View Post
Check out www.asiarooms.com I received a good deal for Shinjuku New City right in the heart of Shinkjuku. Great western style room and a nice cafe to people watch. It was around $70/night in an area where hotels are $200+ Play around with the dates too.
Thanks! Dates cant be played with, as dates are set in stone as of +/-3 weeks ago. Plane tickets are bought.

We arent the backpacking types...Ive a feeling we'll be spending ALOT of time in our room...I just dont want a place that's going to break his bank account. I'll check that site out though!

Old 08-25-2009, 03:14 PM

You're welcome! I really loved this hotel. The staff speak multiple languages, they have a cafe with a beautiful view, breakfast included, and it's right IN Shinjuku. They have cable too. You couldn't be more central. Oh yeah...there's a Denny's restaurant around the corner if you're into that. lol Have a great trip!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Thanks! Dates cant be played with, as dates are set in stone as of +/-3 weeks ago. Plane tickets are bought.

We arent the backpacking types...Ive a feeling we'll be spending ALOT of time in our room...I just dont want a place that's going to break his bank account. I'll check that site out though!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:18 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
I stayed in weekly mansion in ikebukuro tokyo and the price is around 60 dollars a night (for 2 people).
But don't you have to have a guarantor to get a room at a weekly mansion? I lived in one during my assignment in Tokyo in the 1990's and I had to use my company as a guarantor.

A guarantor is no simple matter since that information gets filed, iirc, with the Japanese justice ministry.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:29 AM

501 posts, read 1,429,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
The main thing to do when learning a language is to try to look at it like your a baby. Don't analyze Japanese through an english speaking prism, but rather just on Japanese's own terms. I tried to immerse myself in the language as much as I could, watching Japanese tv shows and movies and trying to see what I could pick up. Also, even if you can't initially understand what they're saying, you can still pick up body language and tonal cues. Keep in mind, though, that if you're going to watch movies set in the Japanese feudal era, the Japanese that was spoken then is quite different (kinda like compairing Shakespearean english to the contemporary brand). Even the Japanese spoken before WWII is different in some respects.

After my first year, I started working on memorizing the kanji in the Nelson kanji dictionary and began to try to read Japanese magazines. I would circle words I didn't know and make lists of those words for further independent study. By my senior year, I was able to read Japanese at the same speed as I can english. But this was basically after studying the language every waking hour when I wasn't working or dealing with other assignments.

One other thing: Japanese and Americans do not have the same sense of humor (and satire just really isn't their thing). Plus they tend to value indirection over directness, especially from women (for example, there are "women's words" and "men's words" every now and again). So until you get a real feel for the internal logic of the culture and language it is best to leave humor out of it when talking to Japanese. And doing business has its own customs and protocols, too since it is a process and gesture driven culture as opposed to the results uber alles culture we have in the west.
Thanks for the advice!

I'm quite aware of the difference between the two countries' humors. (I've watched several J-dramas and catch some game/talk shows too. Actually, I think some manga do capture real-life Japanese humor so it feels kind of weird just to see that exact humor replicated in dramas.)

Working straight out of a dictionary? Ahh.. Wow.. Yeah, that seems like it needs a lot of hard-core dedication, but I can see how well that'll pay off. ^_^ (I don't think I'll ever fall into this method but I'll keep this in mind.)

Oh yeah. I know that blowing your nose at the table is considered rude in Japan, but I've seem to have managed on getting away with it so far (-feeling bad for this though). I'm really sensitive to hot/warm temperature food so running nose constantly is my specialty when eating. (Keep forgetting to bring tissue into Japan either from the US or Taiwan. Wet tissue in conbinis are ok, but I like dry ones.)

My question is, is it ok to blow your nose side-ways away from the table (indirectly)? I'm starting to be pretty self-conscious about this rule so whenever I step into a Japanese restaurant, I can't help but think about it. =.=

Old 08-27-2009, 12:52 PM

It's considered rude. I witnessed a foreign man on a train blowing his nose and the LOOKS he got! If you do it indiscreetly, I'm sure you'll be okay. Try to go to the bathroom.

Man, I wish blowing your nose was considered rude here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
Thanks for the advice!

I'm quite aware of the difference between the two countries' humors. (I've watched several J-dramas and catch some game/talk shows too. Actually, I think some manga do capture real-life Japanese humor so it feels kind of weird just to see that exact humor replicated in dramas.)

Working straight out of a dictionary? Ahh.. Wow.. Yeah, that seems like it needs a lot of hard-core dedication, but I can see how well that'll pay off. ^_^ (I don't think I'll ever fall into this method but I'll keep this in mind.)

Oh yeah. I know that blowing your nose at the table is considered rude in Japan, but I've seem to have managed on getting away with it so far (-feeling bad for this though). I'm really sensitive to hot/warm temperature food so running nose constantly is my specialty when eating. (Keep forgetting to bring tissue into Japan either from the US or Taiwan. Wet tissue in conbinis are ok, but I like dry ones.)

My question is, is it ok to blow your nose side-ways away from the table (indirectly)? I'm starting to be pretty self-conscious about this rule so whenever I step into a Japanese restaurant, I can't help but think about it. =.=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia